BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Anyone go with BavSound?

Anyone with 1M upgrade with BavSound speakers. Their kit adds the two missing rear tweeters and there is also a subwoofer upgrade. Anyone here do that and can tell me what they think of sound improvement with stock amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Anyone with 1M upgrade with BavSound speakers. Their kit adds the two missing rear tweeters and there is also a subwoofer upgrade. Anyone here do that and can tell me what they think of sound improvement with stock amp.
I've been thinking about doing their upgrade but they don't ship to Canada...if you order I may ask you to order another set for me
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

No point of tweeters in the rear - you shouldn't really even be using the rears unless you're driving people around in the back seat. You should bias it all to the front and focus on good speakers there if you want better sound.

As for Bavsound - I have a set in my E36 M3 (3-way) and they're not impressive but you can't complain for PnP I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I only have a lowly 135i. But I upgraded my stock speakers to use the Focal PnP speakers as well as upgraded the amp to the BimmerTech amp. I did the Focals based on GeoffS' write up here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315129

He talked me out of doing anything on the rear deck and said any sound being shot out from the rear speakers would suffer from distortion anyways due to bouncing off of the rear window. He said the rears should only be used for a small amount of fill. He's right as I don't notice anything missing with having the upgraded Focals up front and keeping the stock rears.

The key to the entire package coming together is the DSP sound file Geoff paid to have a professional calibration done as the baseline and then he has made continuous tweaks along the way. I gladly paid him some money to get the sound file as it was only right that he's spent both time and money developing the file.

If you go this route, you might want to hurry. When I was looking for the Focals, I was able to source the tweeter and mid kit easily here in the States. But the subs were hard to find. I ended up ordering everything from a UK seller on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
nachob I suddenly feel better about myself knowing there is something you don't know about our cars ;-)

zx10guy what was your base audio configuration for reference? Where was the stock amp? Any pictures from the install?
      01-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
nachob I suddenly feel better about myself knowing there is something you don't know about our cars ;-)

zx10guy what was your base audio configuration for reference? Where was the stock amp? Any pictures from the install?
My stock audio setup was the base HiFi system. For 2013, there were only two options, the base HiFi and the HK system. With my base HiFi system, I had the tweeters in the pods at the corner of the doors.

The stock amp was in the area behind the driver's rear wheel well accessed through the trunk. I did a write up on my install of the BimmerTech amp here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189928
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
JP-1M171.00
      01-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I've been thinking about doing their upgrade but they don't ship to Canada...if you order I may ask you to order another set for me
Sure, but shipping to Canada has been pretty pricey. Probably cheaper for you to come to San Diego. We can have some beers, go to cars and coffee and you can take them back with you!

They are located here in San Diego! Come on down. It's a lot warmer than Ontario right now.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #8
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

I put this together when I first got my 1M, some of you guys may find it useful. Everything still works great!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654680
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      01-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
I put this together when I first got my 1M, some of you guys may find it useful. Everything still works great!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654680
No pics.
Appreciate 0