BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Alignment question

I am going in for an alignment tomorrow with my JIC suspension and m3 front control arms.

What should I ask for?

I would like it to perform but not to eat tires too badly.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
I am going in for an alignment tomorrow with my JIC suspension and m3 front control arms.

What should I ask for?

I would like it to perform but not to eat tires too badly.
here is a good forum string to read http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401593

Post #17 and 18 refers to the alignment/camber specs with the M front control arms you are installing.
Not sure if it will help, but they also note in this thread that you can always discuss your driving style and needs with the alignment shop and they should be able to get you setup correctly to match your needs.

Ironically I am having a full suspension install/upgrade tomorrow. All the swappable M3 parts, including the M subframe bushings & front sway bar, Koni FDS, BMW perf springs and bumpstops and Dinan rear shock mounts. I am having it done at a local race shop so I am going to discuss the alignment spec's with them tomorrow when I drop my car off. Cant wait to get the car back! Skyline Drive will be more intense.

Last edited by M2; 07-20-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'm not sure how much it will be affected by the coilovers and lowering, but I would say max out the front camber if you are not on camber plates. When the rest of my suspension was stock I had about -1* and with alignment pins pulled you might get just a little more. With the lowering, you can probably do more as well. As long as the toe is set properly for your camber setting, I think anything under -2.0 will have limited uneven tire wear. In the rear you'll probably get a little toe-in, and somewhere around -1.8* camber.

However, this is highly dependent on your driving style. If you drive lots of street miles, and aren't very aggressive, then you could get some more exaggerated uneven tire wear. If you track often, you can probably have even more camber and still not have any problem. When I was -1 in the front, I still wore out the outside shoulders. Talk with the shop performing the install and/or alignment about what kind of specs are best for your driving style and expectations. Any knowledgeable shop should be able to discuss the pros/cons and differences in the specifications they are going to apply.

Good luck!

Tim
      07-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Thanks!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0