BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Bring up the lap list, select the desired lap then select the track from events
      11-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Bring up the lap list, select the desired lap then select the track from events
Duh. Found it. Lots of great data there! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #25
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Ok, dumb question. Downloaded Harry's lap timer ( the standard version) and used it at the track for the first time yesterday. Worked like a charm and recorded all laps in all three sessions.
But now that I'm looking at the lap data, I'm trying to figure out how to create the colored lap" images" that I always see in videos and even on the app store as screen images. ( talking about the multicolored track pics that looks like intestines, for lack of a better description).
Am I missing something in my setup?
i used it today for the first time also.. great stuff.. great videos..
how did you get it to video every lap?? i get every other lap???

to answer your question i have the pro version but this is how i get the "intestines"

lap list > ( pick the lap you want to view)
scroll down to the "results" it will say "lap time"
touch that and you get a bar graph screen
hit ""map" at top menu bar
tap middle of screen (window opens)
then towards the bottom you will see 3 odd looking boxes with the red / green track view ( intestines ) pick the middle one, close the box then zoom into the map that appears....

i learned sooooooo much already.. ( i brake too early )

good news is i get to do it again tomorrow...

best time today 1:33.3 last year same track 1:35.9 looking to get 1:30 !!!!

hope it helps !!!
      11-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
i used it today for the first time also.. great stuff.. great videos..
how did you get it to video every lap?? i get every other lap???

to answer your question i have the pro version but this is how i get the "intestines"

lap list > ( pick the lap you want to view)
scroll down to the "results" it will say "lap time"
touch that and you get a bar graph screen
hit ""map" at top menu bar
tap middle of screen (window opens)
then towards the bottom you will see 3 odd looking boxes with the red / green track view ( intestines ) pick the middle one, close the box then zoom into the map that appears....

i learned sooooooo much already.. ( i brake too early )

good news is i get to do it again tomorrow...

best time today 1:33.3 last year same track 1:35.9 looking to get 1:30 !!!!

hope it helps !!!
Woo Hoo.. Up date 1:32.06 My best time of the weekend...

Harrys Lap timer is amazing.. what cool stuff... i learned so much from the data... there is so much to absorb, i wish i new someone local that had it and could walk me thru it all.. also the every other lap video capture??? its wierd... any body else expierence this ???

p.s. accuracy within 4 to 5 hundreths of a second... e.g. my fastes lap according to Harrys was 1:32.03.... offical transponder time from the track had me at 1:32.07 ..... you just cant beat that with a stick,
      04-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #27
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

is there any reason i wouldn't be able to use harry's on my old deactivated 3Gs with the tomtom?

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 04-02-2012 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

as long as you download the map before you get to the track i don't see why you'd have an issue
      04-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
PC Valkyrie
Very slow driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 & 135i & C55 AMG & 911 GT3

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2005 C55 AMG  [0.00]
I'm interested to use my iphone 4S with Harry's laptimer software to get real time laptimes during track days.

A few questions for those of you who have used this:

1) What good options are there for mounting the iphone 4S in the car? I've read earlier in this thread about the mount for the TomTom, but what about other options? Anybody have pictures of their setup?

2) Is it possible to use the iphone 4S video camera to record video at the same time as Harry's laptimer software is calculating laptimes?

3) My iphone 4S is a corporate device, such that I cannot disable password activation to access the iphone. With any prolonged inactivity, the phone automatically logs off and I have to enter a password again to use the iphone. Will this happen during prolonged runs with Harry's Laptimer software calculating laptimes while I drive for anywhere between 15-45 minutes per session?

Some of these may sound like stupid questions, but I would appreciate any help you have, as I truly am a Apple iphone newbie (switched from a blackberry recently).

In the past, I would simply use a Sony digital camera to record videos while I drive and then I would calculate laptimes by going through the recorded videos at home.
      04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I use the tomtom one but there are a lot of other options. search amazon for iphone window mount. if you find one that charges too then your phone won't go to sleep. otherwise it will still work but you would need to login to your iphone. you can also video at the same time. I think the only issue was it would record every other lap due to caching.
      04-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie View Post
I'm interested to use my iphone 4S with Harry's laptimer software to get real time laptimes during track days.

1) What good options are there for mounting the iphone 4S in the car? I've read earlier in this thread about the mount for the TomTom, but what about other options? Anybody have pictures of their setup?

2) Is it possible to use the iphone 4S video camera to record video at the same time as Harry's laptimer software is calculating laptimes?

3) My iphone 4S is a corporate device, such that I cannot disable password activation to access the iphone. With any prolonged inactivity, the phone automatically logs off and I have to enter a password again to use the iphone. Will this happen during prolonged runs with Harry's Laptimer software calculating laptimes while I drive for anywhere between 15-45 minutes per session?

Some of these may sound like stupid questions, but I would appreciate any help you have, as I truly am a Apple iphone newbie (switched from a blackberry recently).

In the past, I would simply use a Sony digital camera to record videos while I drive and then I would calculate laptimes by going through the recorded videos at home.
1) I use the RAM Windshield mount, works flawlessly for me. But I also use the Emprum Ultimate GPS with it hardwired for charging, next to the A Pilar.

RAM Mount

Video of Placement -> Look to the bottom left of the windshield, you can see where it's mounted.

2) Harry's records video, but as others stated, every other lap. The new version already submitted to the App store fixes this and does continuous recording of all laps. I don't use this feature at all though, just record with a GoPro and overlay the data manually.

3) I believe Harry's Laptimer prevents the iPhone from going to sleep while it's recording. I could be mistaken though, but if I remember, it stays on all the time while recording.

This is my experience, others may vary
      04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #32
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:

I use the Tom-Tom mount also .... i like it it does what it needs to do and the suction cup is nice and big.

I set everything in the pits.. when on track, the video function and timer keeps the 4s from going to sleep.. never had an issue where it did. also with the Tom Tom its plugged in so there is no issue with battery.

the video is every other lap >>>>>>> but yandyr just stated there was an update that changed this... that would be great !!!!

for the money, you cant go wrong for weekeend warriors..

the video quality with the 4s is very very good.. you can even hook up an external mic to pick up the exhaust noise as opposed to the wind noise inside the cabin.
      04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
1) I use the RAM Windshield mount, works flawlessly for me. But I also use the Emprum Ultimate GPS with it hardwired for charging, next to the A Pilar.

RAM Mount

Video of Placement -> Look to the bottom left of the windshield, you can see where it's mounted.

2) Harry's records video, but as others stated, every other lap. The new version already submitted to the App store fixes this and does continuous recording of all laps. I don't use this feature at all though, just record with a GoPro and overlay the data manually.

3) I believe Harry's Laptimer prevents the iPhone from going to sleep while it's recording. I could be mistaken though, but if I remember, it stays on all the time while recording.

This is my experience, others may vary
I have updated version v 14.4.2 Professional...... is this the version with every lap video feature ????
      04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #34
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
I have updated version v 14.4.2 Professional...... is this the version with every lap video feature ????
Nope, it's version 15, which should be under review. It was submitted at the same time the new iPad came out, so it may take another couple of weeks, but it's out there just waiting.
      04-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #35
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can't wait for v15 to come out! The video options on it are going to be schweet! I like Yandy use the same RAM mount that i bought off amazon. Very sturdy and easy to install and lets you plug in other things to the phone easily. I may have to pick up a mic for the phone to get exhaust noises now as I never thought about that earlier haha. Hurry up apple!
      04-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

ultimately i went with an Emprum 5hz external gps and a RAM mount (which i'll be trying to customize to mount to the dash, not the windshield, since i'll be recording video via gopro). i've read some positive reviews of the emprum gps... hoping it works out to be a significant improvement.

and an FYI to all you prospective harry's user out there... the upgrade to v15 will be free for all owners of previous versions, but once its released, the price of v15 will go up, so now's the time to buy in if you're considering it!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Glad I noticed this thread - I was doing some research into this combo (iPhone + Emprum, Harry's, etc.) but didn't know anyone on 1Addicts was using it. And now I see the price is going to go up - better move quick!

On a related note, does anyone know of a way to mount an iPhone to get sort of a "cockpit view" from behind the driver? There's a guy who posted a video like that from auto-x recently, but I think he was somehow using the sunroof (which I don't have) as a mount.
      04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #38
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Glad I noticed this thread - I was doing some research into this combo (iPhone + Emprum, Harry's, etc.) but didn't know anyone on 1Addicts was using it. And now I see the price is going to go up - better move quick!

On a related note, does anyone know of a way to mount an iPhone to get sort of a "cockpit view" from behind the driver? There's a guy who posted a video like that from auto-x recently, but I think he was somehow using the sunroof (which I don't have) as a mount.
some guys use a rod mounted to the headrest ( passanger side). it ends up hanging the gopro / iphone about shoulder height / middle of the car ..
      04-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #39
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
for those that also use this for video; version 15.0 is up on the App store and includes continuous video recording, amongst other things. If they'll only add the option to export sessions as a dashware/trackvision and not just lap at a time, and/or a full days worth it'll be great.
      04-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #40
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Post that up on the HLT forums Yandy!! Can't wait to test it out
      04-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #41
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

downloaded last night... wooo hoo.. just in time.. going to lime rock on saturday !!!

hey in preparing for lime rock i only saw 1 track choice ??? odd for such a popular track, No ????

am i missing something ???
      04-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #42
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
how many choices there are for lime rock? thought it was a small track
      04-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
PC Valkyrie
Very slow driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 & 135i & C55 AMG & 911 GT3

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2005 C55 AMG  [0.00]
OK, I bought the RAM mount as some of you have suggested. Now I'm ready to purchase Harry's Laptimer software for my iphone 4S.

Did most of you get the Pro or Standard version? I presume getting Pro version makes the most sense......, but I would value your thoughts.
      04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
OK, I bought the RAM mount as some of you have suggested. Now I'm ready to purchase Harry's Laptimer software for my iphone 4S.

Did most of you get the Pro or Standard version? I presume getting Pro version makes the most sense......, but I would value your thoughts.
I purchased pro; if you want video, I think you need pro. Also, some other features. I don't record video with it, but seemed like the right way to go, specially if any new features are added, most likely it'll be in the pro version.