BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
LYCANtreo
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: LYCAN 09 AW 135i M Sport

Any DIY for flushing the power steering fluid?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone can help. I want do a power steering flush and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I did mine some time back so I can't remember dimensions or all tools required; but here it goes. You do this at your own risk. You'll need some rags or absorbent mat under the reservoir area and fender cover for that side. Draw out as much fluid from reservoir, I used a giant syringe with a tube to draw around the built-in filter, you'll see it as a little block at the bottom. Remove the clamp from the return line (higher position of the two coming out of the reservoir) and remove hose - this is where it starts to get messy.

Plug the return line inlet on the reservoir. I used a short section of vacuum hose/line and clamped the end off with hose clamp pliers. You'll need a new hose clamp to secure it to the reservoir.

You'll need to create an extension of sorts for the return line to clear the fender of the car (I personally hate to put catch containers of any sort in the engine bay -Murphy, is always present) to reach a container. I placed a short piece of copper pipe I had into the return line, clamped it, and clamped more vacuum hose/line to the open end of the copper pipe.

Finally, I slipped over the vacuum hose a clear hose, and that went into a 5 gallon can on the floor (harder to tip). The return line is "low pressure" but you still want to ensure no leakage.

Fill (overfill) reservoir up, leave cap off. IMPORTANT be sure you are not leaking fluid from reservoir return line inlet you plugged and have a friend crank/start the car. IMPORTANT, be sure your friend is ready to shut the car down almost the moment it starts. The pump will suck the reservoir dry in a mater of a couple/few seconds and you WILL ruin your PS pump and/or rack.

Carefully repeat fill (overfill); start/stop engine. Keep doing so until fluid is coming out clean on other end. I used less than one liter.

Drain the reservoir with syringe. Disconnect extension assembly and reconnect return line to reservoir with new hose clamp. Fill reservoir, secure reservoir cap and run car, turn steering lock to lock a couple of times, check for leaks at return hose/reservoir, check fluid level. Clean engine bay area...

Since I could not move the steering back and forth while the car ran (due to the speed the reservoir would empty), I ran the car for a bit then just drew with a syringe the reservoir one more time and refilled.

Hopes this helps,
t

Last edited by prcsa77; 04-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: missed a step
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
LYCANtreo
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: LYCAN 09 AW 135i M Sport

Thanks prcsa77 this DIY is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to reply! I will be doing this weekend!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My pleasure. I forgot to mention to put back the reservoir cap at the final stage when you actually run the car. Failing to do so will make a royal mess. Edited original reply to reflect so. I'm considering doing a draw and fill with the syringe with my oil changes to keep it fresher longer. Good luck!
t
Appreciate 0