01-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
Seeing BMWs current trend of using turbo engines (new 5,GT,7 series, X5M, X6M), I def. think it will be a turbo'd engine. The most logical would be the N55 variant with a larger twinscroll turbo or could even be the same engine but with increased boost. BMW is on a Turbo binge and i personally think its cool, although their N/A engines will always be remembered
The current fuel economy standards are pushing everyone in that direction. I'm going to miss N/A engines, but I'm afraid they're going to start getting more and more scarce over the next couple of model cycles.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

We can only speculate... But turbos are here to stay!

I understand r&d has been happening on a tri-turbo 4 cylinder gas engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

N56!?!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #26
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-21-2010 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #27
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Give me a high reving engine based on the N/A 128-130 engine and I'll shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

What will be terrific is that 350hp hybrid engine debuted with demo car late last year, 3 cylinder diesel + electric. That will be cutting edge and worthy of a M engine and I am don't want to sacrifice performance from drawbacks of a traditional diesel. Utmost importance it aligns with the efficient dynamics slogan.

Last edited by Robert; 01-10-2010 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #29
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
What will be terrific is that 350hp hybrid engine debuted with demo car late last year, 3 cylinder diesel + electric. That will be cutting edge and worthy of a M engine and I am don't want to sacrifice performance from drawbacks of a traditional diesel. Utmost importance it aligns with the efficient dynamics slogan.

That setup will add way too much weight to ever be used in a small M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

People, let's deal in reality.

Sure, there was some problems here and there, but design? There really never has been a bad M designed engine. Times are changing and re-using tried and true technology is not a bad thing.

There are people getting incredible performance from the BMW N54. Now, imagine BMW's take on a true performance version of the N54 (ie: think beyond Dinan, Juice Box, Vishnu, etc). We all know the N54 is an extremely cable design, with a few flaws bolted on (ie: fuel system/Oil cooler). Remove those flaws, rework the internals for constant stress on the track and you end up with an extremely worthy Road/Track car that is ALSO fuel efficient and power on demand (bi-turbo).

BMW always underrates their engines, you cannot even consider yourself a BMW enthusiast without knowing this. The N54 is rated @ 300, but we all know stock, it is around 317HP. So, expect the M1 to make close to 380+ horse power, with ridiculous amounts of torque. Then add in M developed headers, new bi-turbo, larger intercooler and you get a free'er breathing engine, etc..

I would expect the M1 to have a totally reworked N54, with newly designed turbos, headers, intercooler, intake, exhaust, etc.. out-of-the-box. Meaning that they are all engineered to work together, thus it isn't how much horsepower or what specs it has, but how well each system works with the next for a NET experience like no other.

The engine is the least of anyone's worries... except maybe Advevo!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #31
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
People, let's deal in reality.

Sure, there was some problems here and there, but design? There really never has been a bad M designed engine. Times are changing and re-using tried and true technology is not a bad thing.

There are people getting incredible performance from the BMW N54. Now, imagine BMW's take on a true performance version of the N54 (ie: think beyond Dinan, Juice Box, Vishnu, etc). We all know the N54 is an extremely cable design, with a few flaws bolted on (ie: fuel system/Oil cooler). Remove those flaws, rework the internals for constant stress on the track and you end up with an extremely worthy Road/Track car that is ALSO fuel efficient and power on demand (bi-turbo).

BMW always underrates their engines, you cannot even consider yourself a BMW enthusiast without knowing this. The N54 is rated @ 300, but we all know stock, it is around 317HP. So, expect the M1 to make close to 380+ horse power, with ridiculous amounts of torque. Then add in M developed headers, new bi-turbo, larger intercooler and you get a free'er breathing engine, etc..

I would expect the M1 to have a totally reworked N54, with newly designed turbos, headers, intercooler, intake, exhaust, etc.. out-of-the-box. Meaning that they are all engineered to work together, thus it isn't how much horsepower or what specs it has, but how well each system works with the next for a NET experience like no other.

I could not have possibly said this better. My only disagreement would be in terms of the engine. I'm in the camp that believes it will be based off of the N55.
      01-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #32
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
As far as I know, the M1 will have a reworked N55.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards,
south

That is not my understanding...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #34
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards,
south
Quote:
That is not my understanding...
I concur with Numb3rs. BMW's "M Boss" Kay Segler has been specifically quoted as saying "the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout".

This is by no means a N55 engine with it's twin-scroll SINGLE turbo design.

This has been posted and debated before on this forum HERE
      01-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I concur with Numb3rs. BMW's "M Boss" Kay Segler has been specifically quoted as saying "the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout".

This is by no means a N55 engine with it's single twin-scroll turbo design.

This has been posted and debated before on this forum here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337931

It's been stated that it was going to use the N55, but the single turbo was going to be replaced by twins, but with a different setup than the N54 is using.

If they're going to stuff the N54 in there and tweak it, that will cross it off the list for me.

That doesn't seem to be the case though. From the article you linked to:

Quote:
While the powerplant in that car was never revealed, the new M car will use a revised version of BMW’s latest turbocharged straight six. In standard guise the 3.0-litre unit, recently unveiled in the 535i GT, uses a twin-scroll turbo aimed at providing a more linear delivery of power and better fuel economy than the earlier twin-turbocharged unit used in the 135i.

For the new M car the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout, although the new system is said to differ quite dramatically from that used on the older engine; it’s likely to get a new turbo and a more efficient intercooler arrangement.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #36
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's been stated that it was going to use the N55, but the single turbo was going to be replaced by twins, but with a different setup than the N54 is using.

If they're going to stuff the N54 in there and tweak it, that will cross it off the list for me.

Where... has it been stated?

edit: never mind.. so a bi-turbo valvetronic? Even better..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #37
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Ok, so how can one say it is a N55 powerplant when it will differ so dramatically?

Call it a S55?
      01-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so how can one say it is a N55 powerplant when it will differ so dramatically?

Call it a S55?

The induction method doesn't really change the engine itself. As far as the changes to the engine are concerned, you're talking about different exhaust manifolds, and maybe upping the fuel pump capacity to support the higher Hp. Everything else that will change is just support equipment, like the intercooler and intake plumbing, and that changes depending on the vehicle anyway.

Who knows though, maybe they will give it it's own designation. I don't think that's really known yet, but all indications are that it's going to be based on the N55 with Valvtronic, and not the N54.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #39
hawc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I wish they would put the x6m engine in the new M(1). Now a twin turbo V8 in or little cars, that would be fun.
If by fun you mean practically undriveable then yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #40
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

Call it a S55?
I tend to agree, it's likely to be called S55. The changes to this engine could very well be similar to the changes done to the N63 (X6sDrive50i) in order to get the S63 (X5/6 M).

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #41
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

No kidding, it will take more than some Ti-Bolts in the front and a majorly weighted rear, to balance out that mess. Funny thought for sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawc View Post
If by fun you mean practically undriveable then yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #42
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Someday - it will be the H54.......

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHFT1X1JDI&amp;feature=player_embedded>
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #43
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
No kidding, it will take more than some Ti-Bolts in the front and a majorly weighted rear, to balance out that mess. Funny thought for sure..
Didnt somebody in the UK stuff an E39 M5 V8 into a 130i's engine bay? So its doable in terms of a V8 fitting under the hood.

That being said, I doubt that it will be done.

I like the idea of a modified N55 with twin turbos and high strength internals.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #44
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
That setup will add way too much weight to ever be used in a small M car.
I will leave that up to the engineering department. Maybe they can find other clever form to store electric energy.

i.e. http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/10/t...battery-packs/
Appreciate 0