BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #23
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

The 1 makes a good wife. The sti is your favorite hooker...considerably dirtier and responds well to being handled roughly. Have both and all is well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet
The 1 makes a good wife. The sti is your favorite hooker...considerably dirtier and responds well to being handled roughly. Have both and all is well.
Probably one of the greatest statements on this forum. Win.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

I left the BMW family for a spanking new 2011 WRX with the STI body style. I went right back. My vote is for the 135i hands down for a daily driver. Leave the STI to the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
V-Dub91
Rep
Drives: 04 FPGreen'd Silver STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
Hahaha, best quote ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
V-Dub91
Rep

But I think I've settled on the 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
tazzydnc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe MT, N55, PPK

unless you need the AWD or 4-doors, go with the 135i. It gets better gas mileage and is a better daily driver. Though it's much smaller, you'd be surprised at how much cargo you can fit in it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
V-Dub91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzydnc View Post
unless you need the AWD or 4-doors, go with the 135i. It gets better gas mileage and is a better daily driver. Though it's much smaller, you'd be surprised at how much cargo you can fit in it
Don't need AWD 4-door would be nice but have no kids
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Asking which car to buy on a BMW forum... Why does this seem like a bad place to ask this question?

Having recently sold my stage 2 '06 STI and moved up to an '09 135i, I can say without a doubt that you won't regret it. While the 135i won't give you the same thrill, it still offers an amazing level of performance and exponentially more comfort. You will notice that going around corners, you don't feel like you're about to roll over like you may have in an STI with stock suspension. Granted, you can't power through a corner like you can in an STI, but you've got so much balance and so little body roll in even the hardest corners that you'll still fly through them.

Stock for stock, the 135i is definitely quicker. RWD is fun in its own right, while AWD offers unrivaled convenience.

In the end, it comes down to what you want to do with the car (leave it stock, mod it just a bit to achieve 300whp, or turn it into a track demon), and what you want out of your daily drive.

If you ask me, my daily drive has become significantly more comfortable and ultimately more pleasurable. I'm super comfortable in my heated sport seats, the stereo is much better, the ride quality is vastly superior, and I've still got all the power in the world on tap. Granted, I can't fly up the freeway on-ramp in 3rd gear and break 100mph before merging (not that I often did that...) anymore, but I can go from 2nd to 3rd gear on the ramp and still reach the same speed.

All I really miss is the kick-in-the-butt feeling of the turbo spooling up in the STI. The 135i in its stock form feels more like an NA vehicle, but really, I can't complain! Plus with just some minor modding (namely, a tune), that can be remedied...

Get the 135i, don't look back. You'll be so happy after driving it and then sitting down in a (IMO ugly) STI hatch to see its substandard interior build quality and seriously hideous styling.

For me, it was either a new 2012 STI sedan, or a CPO 135i. In the end, there wasn't much to make me go for the STI except for the AWD, since I wasn't planning to modify it for fear of voiding the warranty. Oh yeah, and the fact that the new STIs still use the same engine as the '06 did, which in my case developed a cracked ringland and left me with a $6,000+ repair to make (sold it as it was and walked away from a headache).

BMW FTW.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I'm getting sick of those 135i or !@#....
Buy STI hatch don't ask why just do it!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

Great question, I was just in your same position prior to buying my 135i. I'd owned both an 04 and 2007 STI. As a matter of fact, my member # is below 11000 on Nasioc. There were several key things that influenced my decision.
1. Used Sti's cost as much as new ones even though they were discounted like crazy when the 09's came out.
2. Subaru has not increased the hp (the 04's are actually faster), and because of the design of the engine you reach the max tunable hp relatively quickly, unless you build your bottom end
3. I grew up. And wanted a more adult car.
4. The materials in the Sti, scream econobox.
5. The 135i is sooooooh much faster. And with nothing more that an Access port, and a cat back your able to achieve incredible numbers. If you were to do the samethings to a 135 that you did to your Suby, you'd be answering your own question.

With that being said, I miss my Suby, and even catch myself waving, and flashing my lights when I see one (it's a habit).

hope this helps.
      02-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #33
V-Dub91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dry_heat View Post
Asking which car to buy on a BMW forum... Why does this seem like a bad place to ask this question?

Having recently sold my stage 2 '06 STI and moved up to an '09 135i, I can say without a doubt that you won't regret it. While the 135i won't give you the same thrill, it still offers an amazing level of performance and exponentially more comfort. You will notice that going around corners, you don't feel like you're about to roll over like you may have in an STI with stock suspension. Granted, you can't power through a corner like you can in an STI, but you've got so much balance and so little body roll in even the hardest corners that you'll still fly through them.

Stock for stock, the 135i is definitely quicker. RWD is fun in its own right, while AWD offers unrivaled convenience.

In the end, it comes down to what you want to do with the car (leave it stock, mod it just a bit to achieve 300whp, or turn it into a track demon), and what you want out of your daily drive.

If you ask me, my daily drive has become significantly more comfortable and ultimately more pleasurable. I'm super comfortable in my heated sport seats, the stereo is much better, the ride quality is vastly superior, and I've still got all the power in the world on tap. Granted, I can't fly up the freeway on-ramp in 3rd gear and break 100mph before merging (not that I often did that...) anymore, but I can go from 2nd to 3rd gear on the ramp and still reach the same speed.

All I really miss is the kick-in-the-butt feeling of the turbo spooling up in the STI. The 135i in its stock form feels more like an NA vehicle, but really, I can't complain! Plus with just some minor modding (namely, a tune), that can be remedied...

Get the 135i, don't look back. You'll be so happy after driving it and then sitting down in a (IMO ugly) STI hatch to see its substandard interior build quality and seriously hideous styling.

For me, it was either a new 2012 STI sedan, or a CPO 135i. In the end, there wasn't much to make me go for the STI except for the AWD, since I wasn't planning to modify it for fear of voiding the warranty. Oh yeah, and the fact that the new STIs still use the same engine as the '06 did, which in my case developed a cracked ringland and left me with a $6,000+ repair to make (sold it as it was and walked away from a headache).

BMW FTW.
Haha, you'd think so. But I posted the same thing on Nasioc and 85% of the people who responded said BMW and to check up with you guys
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #34
V-Dub91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I'm getting sick of those 135i or !@#....
Buy STI hatch don't ask why just do it!
I've made my choice on a BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #35
fullboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 DCT

Several people have gone from the STi to the 135 (myself included) but you will be hard pressed to find someone that goes from a 135 to an STi. That tells you something.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #36
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Good choice. I miss the hell outa my '05 STi some days... Other days not so much.
Real seats, real stereo, sharp, classy looks, RWD fun(top end), quieter, more refined, faster, "grown up"... the list goes on.

My member #'s just over 3,000 on Nasioc with 7 Subarus under my belt - I love Subarus and needed a change. Love my 1er.
      02-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #37
Lurk No More
Rep
Drives: Currently BMW-less

Quote:

Comment of the Month.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #38
fullboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 DCT

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Both are great cars. I owned a 2004 STI for almost 6 years and have been a part of the Subaru community here in Indianapolis for about as long. I've driven many models on the road, drag racing, and autocross.

The 08-10 STI is probably the weakest overall. '11+ gets better bushings, better handling. Not a huge deal, but something to consider. Not much that you couldn't upgrade on the aftermarket.

If you get an STI, I strongly suggest you get a tune right away (just a Cobb AP is great). The factory tune will NOT put up with any mods whatsoever. They are reliable, but if you put a downpipe on a stock tune you almost certainly will blow it up. It responds to tune and mods similary to a 135i. A downpipe and tune is worth a good 45whp or more.

The 135i drives nicer for sure. Lighter shifting (I almost prefer the heavier Subaru shift feel). 135i has better seats. I prefer the feel of rear drive, but AWD is just amazing in bad weather. Nothing like plowing through 5-6inches of snow on unplowed roads past huge 4WD trucks in a 300+hp sport compact right after a sudden snowfall. The STI's automatic center diff offers just amazing traction and stability in all conditions.

STI has MUCH more cargo and passenger room. It's not even close. Brakes on both are practically identical. STI has a lot of initial understeer feel. Swaybar upgrades make it more neutral in autocross, but there is always the need to manhandle it a bit initially to get it to rotate. Takes a bit of "fling" to get it into the corners sometimes.

Aftermarket support is considerably better for the Subaru. Everything costs half of what it does for the 135i for proven quality parts. There are just catalogs upon catalogs of turbos, exhausts, every suspension bit, lots of competition...

If anything goes wrong, the Subaru will be considerably cheaper to fix and maintain.

Last edited by Freon; 02-22-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #40
Shawnski
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 DCT Convertible

Nothing against STIs, but they are rather ordinary cars beyond what makes them fast. The BMW is a TAG Heuer vs. the Subie being a Seiko...there is a difference in the build quality and engineering. The refinement is what makes the Bimmer a superior DD IMO.

Another way to look at this way; you will be less unfaithful of loyalty to a brand vs expanding your automotive experience. I bleed Ford Blue, but those little 135s are a perfect combination of tossable control, torque, and efficiency; ideal fun DDs!
'65 Cobra Daytona Coupe replica

Last edited by Shawnski; 02-23-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #41
mistir135i
Turbo = :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardliner130 View Post
I've owned an '07 Forester XT and driven quite a few STI's, both are great cars and very mod-friendly (as you know)... But Subies don't quite have the panache and sheer competence of the bimmer. Hard to put into words, but every time I get in and punch the start button, there's a sense of occasion, and I eagerly look forward to driving it again, even if it's just a grocery run. With the Subarus, once the novelty wears off, it's just a car, albeit a powerful one. Finally, it's just a personal opinion, but a good RWD chassis is more entertaining than an AWD.

Hope this helps.
I aree wotj nardliner... I owned and 08 STi too many mods to list; the car was literally a machine!!! I was so depressed to look for another car, so one day I stopped at a local BMW dealership, they an 135i (auto) that I test drove and let me tell you it made me forget all about the STi. I will NEVER KNOCK Subaru, they're wonderful cars; however the BMW 135i has someone that just make you love it!!!! I also install the Cobb AP stg 1 and compaired to a completely stock STi with an AP installed the 135i would walk it.... IMO . I dont have the number but you don't need them after driven both... GL with your decision!!!!
More to come
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dry_heat View Post
On this forum, compared to many others, the people here are quite honest and informed. There will always be the fanboy-mentality wherever you go but I don't see it at 1addicts as much as I do elsewhere. You'll get a lot of unbiased opinions when asking for car comparisons...or maybe that's just my own biased opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
On this forum, compared to many others, the people here are quite honest and informed. There will always be the fanboy-mentality wherever you go but I don't see it at 1addicts as much as I do elsewhere. You'll get a lot of unbiased opinions when asking for car comparisons...or maybe that's just my own biased opinion.
We've have some, but it is a 1 owners site.
And yes, we've got a lot of general auto enthusiasts, so much more open to acknowledging other cars are their positives.
After all, all you have to do is drive a 1 series, and you'll know right away why it's so loved.
BMW did a great thing with the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #44
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

I owned and raced an 04 STI and an 04 EVO RS, unless you need AWD or 4 doors there is no comparison the 135i is much more refined and is the ultimate driving machine. Hands down 135i

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 0