BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Review Dinan/Brembo BBK

So finally got my BBK from Dinan and my first impressions are holy smokes. Now that is stopping power. The bedding procedure was slightly ridiculous, but after that they stop like right now with much better pedal feel than stock.

I haven't had a chance to get them on a track yet, but my initial impression is that I should be able to shave a second or more off my typical times. Wow, I'm super happy way better than expected. But then I should be for the price of these things.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2012-12-18 15.28.41 copy.pdf (35.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: pdf dinan bbk copy.pdf (42.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: pdf DSC_0076 copy.pdf (46.8 KB, 336 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
So finally got my BBK from Dinan and my first impressions are holy smokes. Now that is stopping power. The bedding procedure was slightly ridiculous, but after that they stop like right now with much better pedal feel than stock.

I haven't had a chance to get them on a track yet, but my initial impression is that I should be able to shave a second or more off my typical times. Wow, I'm super happy way better than expected. But then I should be for the price of these things.
Those look identical to my Brembo GT. If you paid Dinan retail price ($3795) then you just purchased some of the most expensive decals in the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Interesting...never seen anybody save pictures as a pdf before...
      12-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
sweet! are they 355 mm? they should work really nice on the track. btw, I thought the brembo GT's go for $3795. at least that's what I've seen them list around here. enjoy the bling my friend
      12-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Those are awesome brakes. I think I read somewhere that the Dinan kit includes Goodridge lines and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Excellent stuff, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Those are awesome brakes. I think I read somewhere that the Dinan kit includes Goodridge lines and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Excellent stuff, congrats!
Yeah it includes both and I got a decent deal on them since they have an annual sale where everything is 15% off for the month. Otherwise it might have been too much money.

It took them forever to make them though. Over a month from the time I ordered them until they were delivered.

They are identical to the Brembo GT's 355mm just with the Dinan name. They retail for the same price so I figured since I have a Dinan badged 135 already might as well try to stay consistent if they are the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it includes both and I got a decent deal on them since they have an annual sale where everything is 15% off for the month. Otherwise it might have been too much money.

It took them forever to make them though. Over a month from the time I ordered them until they were delivered.

They are identical to the Brembo GT's 355mm just with the Dinan name. They retail for the same price so I figured since I have a Dinan badged 135 already might as well try to stay consistent if they are the same thing.
Good thing you got the discount. They are awesome BBK, best I've ever had. Anyone else who's interested you can get the GT slotted for 3200 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Good thing you got the discount. They are awesome BBK, best I've ever had. Anyone else who's interested you can get the GT slotted for 3200 shipped.
that's a really good price. same as stoptech ST60
      12-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
that's a really good price. same as stoptech ST60
Stoptech are excellent also. As good as Brembo I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Stoptech are excellent also. As good as Brembo I believe.
I wanted the Stoptechs, but since I wanted front and back it would've taken to long to get. I was told six weeks for both. The price with the discount is within a 100 bucks, but the Stoptechs take a bigger variety of pads I believe.

Both are great.

Should I sell the BMW performance brakes now? Hmmm. One front rotor is cracked and the pads are gone, but the rears are ok. Haven't taken the calipers apart to see what damage they sustained. Not sure they have any value to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I wanted the Stoptechs, but since I wanted front and back it would've taken to long to get. I was told six weeks for both. The price with the discount is within a 100 bucks, but the Stoptechs take a bigger variety of pads I believe.

Both are great.

Should I sell the BMW performance brakes now? Hmmm. One front rotor is cracked and the pads are gone, but the rears are ok. Haven't taken the calipers apart to see what damage they sustained. Not sure they have any value to anyone.
You could get decent $$ for your fronts, are you running Brembo rears also or stock?

I upgraded the rotors and pads on my stock rear calipers and found the bias totally acceptable with the GT 's in front.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Quote:

Both are great.

Ive seen a few e46 330s with the 135 calipers retrofitted on there. Im sure you could easily get a few hundred for your calipers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

Anyone have experience with AP Racing bbk? I have a local supplier who can get a great price on them
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal7
Anyone have experience with AP Racing bbk? I have a local supplier who can get a great price on them
They are excellent BBK but I'm not aware they have a kit for our 135. If they did that or Alcon's would be my choice. We need a custom bracket to fit our cars. Let me know if you have access to a kit
      12-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:

Both are great.

I bought the stoptech F/R kits from HPA. The order did take just over 1 month from order to arrival of fronts and rears (shipping snafu added a week).

I have no regrets. They offer a great BBK which performs fine on the track with their street performance pads. I only noticed a change in response after about 20-25 mins when they started to change their response, but it was very controllable and gives out slowly.

I imagine the brembo's have very similar characteristics and one set to the next is not going to have a high variance. The big difference is moving to a BBK with a larger front rotor that cools more efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
They are excellent BBK but I'm not aware they have a kit for our 135. If they did that or Alcon's would be my choice. We need a custom bracket to fit our cars. Let me know if you have access to a kit
It appears Motorsport24 North America has some kind of kit.

http://motorsport24-na.com/catalog/E82135i%5E162.php
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

^^Is that the AP kit made by stillen? I would recommend stoptech over the rest becasue because there is more to consider than purely the initial cost when subjecting them to track abuse.

I have a stoptech ST40 with 328x28 rotors on the front of my car. My dad has the dinan labeled brembo BBK front and rear on his e46 m3. This is not even close to being an apples to apples comparison because I use Carbotech XP10 and he was using Ferodo DS2500, he has front & rear forged calipers where I only have front, and they were on two different cars with different sized tires.

Don't get me wrong, the brembo kit is FANTASTIC on both street and track, especially coming from the stock setup. I have driven at thunderhill with his dinan S3-R which isn't terribly hard on brakes... the biggest braking zones I was slowing from were 130ish down to 80ish for T1 120ish to 70ish for T10 and 120ish to 55ish for T14. The brakes did their job and it took about 4 or 5 flying laps before I would feel any hints of fade from DS2500 which are still a street pad. The pedal was rock hard and remained so through out the day (motul rbf600). They did everything as promised and the ONLY complaint I have is the price tag.

Its just hard to justify the additional cost over a stoptech kit that offers the same performance. But with the stoptech everything is cheaper. The initial price is less, pads are easier to swap, cheaper, easy to find, and come in just about every compound. Though the biggest difference is the price of replacement rings, the brembo replacement rings are roughly 2-3x the price of the stoptech rings. Since rings are a consumable and you will go through them when tracking your car this is the deal breaker for me.

Last edited by MMisencik157; 12-25-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
You could get decent $$ for your fronts, are you running Brembo rears also or stock?

I upgraded the rotors and pads on my stock rear calipers and found the bias totally acceptable with the GT 's in front.
Full Brembo GT front and rears. The rears were in bad shape too so I'm not sure they have any value. I'm going to see what I can salvage from them. I have an e36 sitting in my garage maybe I'll see if I can squeeze them on there.
Not sure if its feasible, but what the heck.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #19
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Full Brembo GT front and rears. The rears were in bad shape too so I'm not sure they have any value. I'm going to see what I can salvage from them. I have an e36 sitting in my garage maybe I'll see if I can squeeze them on there.
Not sure if its feasible, but what the heck.
You must be loving it. My Gt's feel like stock brakes, only 10 times better stopping power.

135i rears only seam to fit 135's due to the hub size.
Appreciate 0