BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Everyday drivability, performance, and reliability possible with a tune?

So I'm sort of at a crossroads with my N55, and I've come to a couple of decisions that I'll mention, but maybe some of you guys could chime in (much appreciated). Thanks to anyone who reads this novel.

I've had my car for exactly a year, bought with 50K miles. Currently at 62K. I purchased a second hand JB4 with FF wires earlier this year (possibly a stupid mistake). Had it installed around 54K miles along with a ER CP and BMS Intake. Within a couple of hundred miles, my water pump failed, which was expected. Shortly after, the expansion tank burst, which has happened on two of my previous vehicles, so whatever.

Then I had a screeching howl from the front of the engine bay around 58K miles. My mechanic tried swapping out the idler pulley, followed by the alternator, but later realized it was the PCV causing the issue. Luckily the seals were still in good condition. Now heres where it gets tricky. While he worked on the car, he noticed the car would throw strange electrical faults and at times, shut off at WOT (I don't push the car THAT hard, so I never noticed it). We came to the decision that it was linked back to the JB4 and had it removed because the USB dongle wasn't working either making it impossible to diagnose the unit.

Had the JB4 removed (surprise, the car drives perfectly fine now!), had the firmware updated, also got a new USB dongle since mine was faulty. Now it's been sitting in my garage for months because I'm too paranoid to reinstall it.

As I'm reading up, there are countless threads with JB4 issues. I'll be honest, I'm not very savvy when it comes to this aspect of terminology with this car. I'm comfortable working on mechanical parts of the car myself, but when it comes to electronics/software, I'd rather look for a professional's help. Any who. Most threads I see with issues are backed up with the idea that "Well, since JB4 is the most popular and best selling, its not fair to focus so much on the negative units".

Now brings me to my conundrum:

1. Take the risk and try the JB4 again (I've been holding off until I get a FMIC and DP), but have an experienced shop set the car on everyday drivability settings, I'm no racecar driver.

2. Dump the JB4 and look into COBB.

3. Eff it, sell it all and drive the car stock since its my daily and only driver.

Thoughts? Also, if anyone knows a reputable shop in Southern California that can diagnose these kinds of problems easily, that'd be great lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

MHD is coming out soon for n55. hold out for that enjoy the car stock (maybe flash the bmw ppk tune).

jb4 has so many issues i would never install it on my car.
imo the only way to get decent reliability and drivability is with a flash tune.

the fact that a backend flash exists and is promoted for the n54 jb4 in itself says that the jb4 is inferior to a flash tune.

everyone goes on about all the extra features the jb4 gives, map switching guage hijacking ect ect. but for me I'd rather a car i get in and drive and don't need to fiddle with where the only CEL's are caused by actual hardware issues.

i was actually reading the other day on this forum of cars randomly shutting off cause of the jb4 at high speed... scary stuff.

on top of all that I've seen some pretty doggy jb4 installs from reputable shops.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
+1 for holding out till MHD releases the N55 version.

Frankly MHD is settling into a much better tool than the Cobb AP- better logging, more flexibility and substantially better pricing.

I lived with AP for years and am finding that MHD has simply addressed the issues I've always had from both hardware and software standpoints. Automatic log triggering, android platform instead of their own overpriced hardware and, with the recent changes in cobb policy towards ATR, availability of free tuning software are some prime examples.

Regarding your JB4, I'd encourage trying the MHD when available so you have something to compare directly. It's easy enough to remove the MHD and install the JB4, and if you want it's even possible to run both using MHD as a back end flash so you get the best of both should you decide some features of the JB4 are important to you...

Based on what you discussed I bet you picon the MHD, and sell the JB4 (which would effectively pay for any MHD costs... )
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I've had a JB4 for a couple years now, just updated to ISO, and never really had a problem. No, it's not as invisible behind the scenes as a tune, but to my knowledge if the unit's in good shape and installed correctly, it shouldn't cause your vehicle any issues provided the settings and map you choose are appropriate for your car. Obviously I can only speak for myself and my buddy, who has one on each of his cars (N54 and N55), but they've been bulletproof for us. Sucks that you've had issues with your car, but it's possible that: 1) the issues were independent of the JB4; 2) the JB4 wasn't installed properly; 3) the JB4 module was itself faulty; and/or 4) the settings for the JB4 weren't right.

All that said, I'm definitely looking forward to MHD. As much as I love the flexibility and functionality of the JB4, it's just not as smooth in its power delivery as I'd like it. Fingers crossed MHD turns out the way we all hope!
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Higher power levels tend to bring out issues with cars, and there are so many JB4 users out there you're sure to hear some folks with issues.

If the car is healthy, reinstall the unit. If you have a problem, log the car and send the output to BMS.
VRG_135836.50
      10-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Higher power levels tend to bring out issues with cars, and there are so many JB4 users out there you're sure to hear some folks with issues.

If the car is healthy, reinstall the unit. If you have a problem, log the car and send the output to BMS.
+1

2 years on JB4, one and a half with the backend flash, zero problems, also purchased second hand.

If you decide to reinstall, check the wiring harness and make sure there are no wires with missing insulation or other damage. Maybe your unit was faulty, maybe not.

In your shoes I would also give MHD a shot, seems quite promising and as far as I know, COBB had nothing for the N55

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

How does using JB4 as a "backend" work? How do you determine which actual tune would be active?

Also, any idea when a N55 MHD may be hitting the market? The only thing that worries me in that situation is my DCT being able to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
How does using JB4 as a "backend" work? How do you determine which actual tune would be active?
Flash with zero boost values modifies fuel and air and timing scalars to give the jb4 a better start point for controlling various inputs. Not sure about backend flash stacking on the N55 but i think some folks are using the PPK to some advantage. Tune is still determined by JB4 map setting.
      10-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Quote:
Flash with zero boost values modifies fuel and air and timing scalars to give the jb4 a better start point for controlling various inputs. Not sure about backend flash stacking on the N55 but i think some folks are using the PPK to some advantage. Tune is still determined by JB4 map setting.
^^this

I'm using the BMS one, it's free.

Google 'BMS flash for JB4', there's a thread on N54Tuning with all the info

In terms of driver feel, it takes it from being more 'raw'/'rough' with the JB4 to that nice refined feel of the factory tune maintaining the power added by the JB4.

My setup is on Map 1 (13psi) and the backend flash bumps it to 15psi plus smooths out the fuel and air timing like ShocknAwe said.

With that said, you're probably better off testing out MHD if you decide to flash

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

Interesting.

Is there any talk of a N55 MHD releasing soon by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Is there any talk of a N55 MHD releasing soon by any chance?

By end of year I think, maybe sooner if all goes well

MHD N55 & WedgePerformance Testing
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

I've also been debating removing my JB4. Might just take it out and wait for MHD development.
      11-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

A bunch of us who have late model N55's have and love Dinan. Most of us who have Dinan have it because it is the only flash tune option for us.
It's great for daily driver duty, because it is known for OEM reliability, but if you are looking for max track performance or numbers to impress people, you may be disappointed. Upside: total reliability and a warranty. Downside: the most expensive option out there.
With MHD coming soon though, I would suggest you wait for it, since it can be customized to take advantage of a DP and IC, and will likely be cheaper. The only downside as far as i can see is you'll have to ship off your ECU to get it bench tuned the first time.
After my CPO and Dinan warranties expire I'll probably go that route.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
A bunch of us who have late model N55's have and love Dinan. Most of us who have Dinan have it because it is the only flash tune option for us.
It's great for daily driver duty, because it is known for OEM reliability, but if you are looking for max track performance or numbers to impress people, you may be disappointed. Upside: total reliability and a warranty. Downside: the most expensive option out there.
With MHD coming soon though, I would suggest you wait for it, since it can be customized to take advantage of a DP and IC, and will likely be cheaper. The only downside as far as i can see is you'll have to ship off your ECU to get it bench tuned the first time.
After my CPO and Dinan warranties expire I'll probably go that route.
I second Cavpilot2k's statement. In this post I'm not disparaging one tune over another, merely providing my opinion and experience.

Yes the DINAN tune is expensive (except right now they are running a 50% off sale for E series cars). For that price it should be an option you strongly consider. I paid full price for the tune and am very happy (would've loved to have only paid 50%). For me, reliability was paramount in my decision. I didn't want to mod at the risk of drivability issues or reliability issues.

I'm currently running Dinan stage 3 and love the increased performance. The power output (377hp and 435 Tqe) makes it a better daily and weekend canyon driver. I'll try to include a link to the post I wrote w the dyno for reference.
Dynojet and 2011 135i (N55) w Dinan tune.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327639

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0