BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #67
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But when someone posts that they took their bone stock 135i vert (which is heavier than my 335i), never revved it beyond 5000 RPM because of break in, and yet thought it was the dog's balls in terms of acceleration... well... it seems to me it does become a matter of perspective.

Looking forward to buying a 135i though...

Who said my 135i Vert was Bone stock? I have a windscreen and BMW performance pedals!!!

I'd like to see where I said my Vert's acceleration was..."The Dog's Balls" though?

It's fast...stupidly fast. I'm looking forward to taking her up to 7k in about...oh 750 more miles. Just fyi, the peak HP and Torque is not at redline with our cars so while I know there is still a lot more the car will do past the break in period, you still get a good idea how she will perform at around 5k rpm.

Also, you don't have to be redlining this car to appreciate how well she turns The reference I made last post was me taking a buddy through a 180 degree under the freeway turn without letting off. She sank down, held the line and blasted out with *VERY* little body roll. Not bad for a Vert.

Also you mention weight. My Vert is listed at 3671, 89lbs heavier then a 335i coupe and 66lbs heavier then the 335i Sedan. Ooooooo, huge difference.

This is however an apples and oranges comparison. I did not buy a 135i Vert to be faster then a 335i Coupe...like a 135i Coupe is :headbang:. If you want to compare performanceerformance then put up a 135i Vert vs a 335i Vert. My car is 290lbs lighter, and will out handle and accelerate the 3 Vert. Again though, you don't buy a Vert to be the fastest kid on the block...it's the top down experience with exceptional steering and an incredible motor that makes the 135i Vert a great ride.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #68
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
It appears that an auto is about the only option you didn't order. Manuals are for control freaks who are too insecure to admit that a computer is better than them.

JK
That reminds me of something I haven't talked about since getting my manual. The auto 135i demo shifted MUCH faster from 1st to 2nd than I can with the manual. I'm not sure if it's the delay valve but I can feel the resistance in the shifter that gives me the feeling the synchros are not acting fast enough to allow fast shifts.

I guess what I'm saying is I can jamb it into 2nd and shift fast but the auto can shift as fast or faster without putting wear on the tranny, as I am by forcing the gear.

With that said, the main reason I got the manual is someone saying bmw engineers didn't think the auto could handle the dinan torque.
      07-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #69
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
That reminds me of something I haven't talked about since getting my manual. The auto 135i demo shifted MUCH faster from 1st to 2nd than I can with the manual. I'm not sure if it's the delay valve but I can feel the resistance in the shifter that gives me the feeling the synchros are not acting fast enough to allow fast shifts.

I guess what I'm saying is I can jamb it into 2nd and shift fast but the auto can shift as fast or faster without putting wear on the tranny, as I am by forcing the gear.

With that said, the main reason I got the manual is someone saying bmw engineers didn't think the auto could handle the dinan torque.

I have the exact same feeling going from 1st to 2nd. I have read that replacing the "CDV?" valve fixes this. Not sure though.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #70
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I have the exact same feeling going from 1st to 2nd. I have read that replacing the "CDV?" valve fixes this. Not sure though.
Me neither but I'm very interested to see if it helps at all. The rough shift to 2nd is my only complaint about this car.
      07-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #71
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
135i ...it's the top down experience with exceptional steering and an incredible motor that makes the 135i Vert a great ride.
I think the 135i has very good handling...but to call it exceptional really depends on your point of reference. I don't believe it approaches exceptional for a vert.

As to having an incredible motor...there is no doubt about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #72
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
I think the 135i has very good handling...but to call it exceptional really depends on your point of reference. I don't believe it approaches exceptional for a vert.
+1. Someone here I think has a great motto in their signature: if it corners like it's on rails you're not going fast enough.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #73
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
+1. Someone here I think has a great motto in their signature: if it corners like it's on rails you're not going fast enough.

ADC, you seem to have a vast knowledge of the 135i Vert? One question...Have you ever driven a 135i Vert, hard?

Right, sure you have. :bs:

I'm sure that's where your vast knowledge stems from, all of the time spent in one.:wink:
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
ADC, you seem to have a vast knowledge of the 135i Vert? One question...Have you ever driven a 135i Vert, hard?
I haven't driven a 135i convertible, but I have driven the coupe. What undescribable difference could it have, other than being heavier, slower and less stiff?

Let it go, please. You may think you've pushed the envelope of your convertible, but you haven't so far. And if you don't let sufficient doubt about this seep into your mind, you probably won't get the impulse to better yourself by participating and learning in auto-crosses, driving schools and the like.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0