BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
CoreyZ
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 135i

More lock up does not = better.

All Metric Mechanic diffs are 25% lock up at most. Some good reading here http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Differentials.pdf

Higher lock up on corner entry will work to keep the car going straight when you want it to rotate.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:54 AM   #24
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The German car magazine Auto Motor Sport has reported that the: "Performance LSD... only aftersales(not factory installed), 2800€, 30% lock out..."

What doe you guys think? I think that is a crazy high price!!!

Btw... a basic Drexler LSD sells for ~2400€.
Does this mean you purchase it and have the dealer install it?

From reports in Australia its a $4500 AUD option.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:06 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Does this mean you purchase it and have the dealer install it?

From reports in Australia its a $4500 AUD option.

Yes, that is the way I understand it. Its unclear if its an entirely new "pumpkin" diff housing or just the LSD unit(inside the diff). I would think its the entire pumpkin to make the install simple and easy for the dealership tech. ?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #26
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, that is the way I understand it. Its unclear if its an entirely new "pumpkin" diff housing or just the LSD unit(inside the diff). I would think its the entire pumpkin to make the install simple and easy for the dealership tech. ?
You would think that this would be the case, to make it an easier dealer install.

If so, I'd also suspect that that price would maybe be on exchange, with your old pumpkin going back to BMW for rebuild...?

But, that would then beg the question as to why it couldn't be a factory option in that case, as it would be even easier to have already built 'pumpkin' units on the shelf ready for factory install

If that price of €2800 is for the LSD without dealer fit price, it will be a £3000+ bill from a UK BMW dealer for this BMW LSD, and that's a third more expensive than having a Quaife fitted.
If the car is a purely roadcar or road with a few track days only, the Quaife, IMHO, is the better (not to mention cheaper) option.
And at any rate, here in the UK, this BMW diff won't be listed as being applicable to the E82 (even if it's proved to fit) so it won't be a UK BMW dealer fit option. So, may as well buy aftermarket anyway.
A more trackday/circuit focused car and you'd likely want a better option than the this BMW unit anyway.

Last edited by GeeRam; 02-03-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #27
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yeah it doesn't make sense, surely it has to be a factory option!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E30 24v, E38 V12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I suspect that this diff, like all the low lock LSDs Porsche ships, will be burnt out in short order on the track.
perhaps yes, perhaps no - only time will tell.

The GT3RS units do seem to like to get munched up in not much track time

the M variable would be a direct 1 series drop in part if one just bolted in 1-M or e92M3 needed items + driveshaft for a 1M rear end conversion;

Fitting an OS Giken is probably the best option for one looking to have full daily driver function; its silent and has 0-100 lock but does not have any viscous component to wear out.

translation:

OEM M-variable LSD is great as its OEM BMW but very mild in nature due to its viscous actulation; it does do 0-100% lock as it has 7 clutch discs /steel plates inside just no ramps; the engagement is from locking up the viscous unit and the spider cluster transfers the lockup energy. These have the most advanced technology and pair best with OEM everything else as per bmw.

OS Giken is the only clutch type aftermarket unit that can take twin turbo 6mt track abuse and still be silent enough to valet park when you go to dinner; these are traditional 20+ CNC forged materials clutch type racing units + negative anti spring section attached to the ramps to prevent lockup unless delta wheel speed is drastic.
These are silent because of the negative springs and slew of patents and silent around the parking lot - AND produce great lap times.

Drexler would be a good aftermarket choice and beautiful quality product also but is not that well supported stateside; few vendors.

Last edited by wanganstyle; 08-24-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #29
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

08-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
perhaps yes, perhaps no - only time will tell.

The GT3RS units do seem to like to get munched up in not much track time

the M variable would be a direct 1 series drop in part if one just bolted in 1-M or e92M3 needed items + driveshaft for a 1M rear end conversion;

Fitting an OS Giken is probably the best option for one looking to have full daily driver function; its silent and has 0-100 lock but does not have any viscous component to wear out.

translation:

OEM M-variable LSD is great as its OEM BMW but very mild in nature due to its viscous actulation; it does do 0-100% lock as it has 7 clutch discs /steel plates inside just no ramps; the engagement is from locking up the viscous unit and the spider cluster transfers the lockup energy. These have the most advanced technology and pair best with OEM everything else as per bmw.

OS Giken is the only clutch type aftermarket unit that can take twin turbo 6mt track abuse and still be silent enough to valet park when you go to dinner; these are traditional 20+ CNC forged materials clutch type racing units + negative anti spring section attached to the ramps to prevent lockup unless delta wheel speed is drastic.
These are silent because of the negative springs and slew of patents and silent around the parking lot - AND produce great lap times.

Drexler would be a good aftermarket choice and beautiful quality product also but is not that well supported stateside; few vendors.
Normal GT3 units certainly get chewed up immediately.

As for OS Giken, I'm not a particularly big fan. They came on the scene fairly recently claiming to have a wonderdiff. Seen plenty of failures at this point.
      08-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #31
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

That post almost reads like an OS Giken advertisement.
      08-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #32
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:

As for OS Giken, I'm not a particularly big fan. They came on the scene fairly recently claiming to have a wonderdiff. Seen plenty of failures at this point.
Can you expand on this? I've been considering a clutch-type differential for next season and was targeting an OS Giken.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #33
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:

in GTS3/4 NASA running an OS is worth about 0.5 seconds compared to a ZF BMW motorsports unit; proven fact. Nobody is running a 1 series or 3 series twin turbo in NASA gts here in norcal

Nobody buys OS for the street as its quite expensive; wavetrack is CHEAP and popular for this reason

OS unit for 188k Automatic 135ia and 335ia is not designed for turbo power; Its not suggested; size of 188k is not designed for much stress

the 215k unit for Manual 135/335 is stout
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #34
Jtoft
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
I am also targeting an OS Giken, the superlock to be precise.. From a drifting point of view would that be a bad idea? (135i MT)..

And i don´t think it is that expensive, 1770 USD..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

I went with wavetrac because replacing the clutches in a LSD suck!
      08-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #36
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoft View Post
I am also targeting an OS Giken, the superlock to be precise.. From a drifting point of view would that be a bad idea? (135i MT)..

And i don´t think it is that expensive, 1770 USD..
I think price is extremely reasonable; why does everyone wish for the cheapest part to deliver the entire engine power to the ground? I really do not understand....

OS Giken superlok is very proven in drifting; however you will want to order it in 2 way center - the standard BMW OSG superlok is a 1.5 way center for circuit racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnpaintball2 View Post
I went with wavetrac because replacing the clutches in a LSD suck!
how many times have you replaced the LSD clutches in your prior bmw's?

all OEM BMW LSD units in M cars are Clutch type;
BMW must suck as its a terrible thing for something to be designed wear out in 100k miles. Imagine that; something wearing out!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #37
Jtoft
Rep

Garage List
I agree, the diff is IMO the most important thing after the engine.

About the 2 way/1.5 way - do you mean the spex-x version with adjustable lock timing and 1.1/1.5/2 way options?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #38
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoft View Post
I agree, the diff is IMO the most important thing after the engine.

About the 2 way/1.5 way - do you mean the spex-x version with adjustable lock timing and 1.1/1.5/2 way options?
Differential is what makes everything go to the ground; the stronger the engine output and higher velocity response the more important the differential SHOULD be;

not always the case as many engine dynometers do read differently.......

1.5 way is standard centre ramps; they have 35 degrees on accel and 65 on deccel (lesser angle = easier to engage clutches) ; the unit is very mild action on deccel; a 2.0 way unit has the same ramp angles for both accel and deccel
1.1 way is autocross setting; the angle difference between accel and deccel is drastic; similar to how Front wheel drive cars have 1.0 way LSD units; virtually 0 lockup on deccel.

OS has 2 way centre ramps avail for drifting; Rally users and some track users also like 2 way (I like 2 way for circuit) - its not off the shelf but does not cost any more.

Just contact your local dealer; many are running OS superlok in KOE europe.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #39
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think price is extremely reasonable; why does everyone wish for the cheapest part to deliver the entire engine power to the ground? I really do not understand....

OS Giken superlok is very proven in drifting; however you will want to order it in 2 way center - the standard BMW OSG superlok is a 1.5 way center for circuit racing

how many times have you replaced the LSD clutches in your prior bmw's?

all OEM BMW LSD units in M cars are Clutch type;
BMW must suck as its a terrible thing for something to be designed wear out in 100k miles. Imagine that; something wearing out!
More than once Einstein, some people actually drive their cars.
      08-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #40
Jtoft
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1.5 way is standard centre ramps; they have 35 degrees on accel and 65 on deccel (lesser angle = easier to engage clutches) ; the unit is very mild action on deccel; a 2.0 way unit has the same ramp angles for both accel and deccel
1.1 way is autocross setting; the angle difference between accel and deccel is drastic; similar to how Front wheel drive cars have 1.0 way LSD units; virtually 0 lockup on deccel.

OS has 2 way centre ramps avail for drifting; Rally users and some track users also like 2 way (I like 2 way for circuit) - its not off the shelf but does not cost any more.

Just contact your local dealer; many are running OS superlok in KOE europe.
You´re the man
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #41
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good sales pitch wanganstyle
      08-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #42
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good sales pitch wanganstyle
What sales pitch?
I just volunteered data; was not intending to explain myself to a bunch of people bench racing cars without actual facts.

I drive a OEM BMW LSD in my street car; and race one in my race car; Does this mean anything ??

anyone else have actual experience relating to the THREAD TOPIC?

I went to my local BMW dealership and left 3k cash on the counter; was given an enormous box with a M235i complete drexler unit - It comes with green fluid installed; I drained it all to inspect.

I purchased the entire thing for the Drexler LSD unit;

For those who actually care - its a really easy (although expensive) way to purchase a new ring and pinion set for a 135i with welded on ring gear; BMW does not sell the ring and pinion set new;

Last edited by wanganstyle; 08-31-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #43
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
That post almost reads like an OS Giken advertisement.
That's what I think considering all of his post have been about OS Giken and that's it.
      08-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #44
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I think considering all of his post have been about OS Giken and that's it.
and this makes you feel inferior and insecure?

keep on subject; I posted a photo of the drexler LSD I purchased; its a nice part.

Last edited by wanganstyle; 08-31-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0