BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
su320
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red '09 135i

Yellow gear warning

Hey guys,
I was out driving yesterday using the manual shift on my 2009 auto 135, and as I was going downhill in 3rd gear about 35mph, 1750 RPM I upshifted to 4th gear and the car made a noticeable lurch and displayed 4M for a second then went back to 3M. I added a little gas and upshifted and everything seemed okay, but that was a little concerning, so next hill I tried the same thing and this time a yellow gear with a "!" came up on my dash.

The explanations in the BMW manual don't seem to make sense, either that:
Automatic selector is locked, aka it can't shift out of park, or
Brake signal malfunctioning, drive can be engaged without depressing the break.

Neither of these are the case. I also drove home afterward and drove another hundred miles today, albeit not using 3rd or 4th gear TOO heavily, but I did try to stress them on the stops and starts I encountered and nothing seemed out of the usual.

The manual says to have it checked out at BMW if the light comes on. Should I bring it in, or was I just trying to upshift at a point that would have stalled the engine? It doesn't normally jerk if I try to upshift to a gear that would be too low, but the fact that I was coasting and not adding power could've caused the jolt.

I do have an Alpina flash, if that has anything to do with it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jason
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

A link to the E8x warning lamps.
http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...hts_197835.cfm

Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0