BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Carbon Fibre Roof for the BMW 1M

Hi Folks!

I know that some members here replaced your roof to carbon fibre. Would you guys care to share some information and details with regards to which brand you guys went for, how the process of installing went? I am seriously considering it!!


so far, seems like only Revozport has one
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Tinsta's Avatar
149
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: //1 CSL & F31 335dx
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

I have a Geoff Steel Racing one, pretty much similar to the RevoZport, but made here in the UK. Fitment is perfect - lots of labour involved in replacing the roof, both windscreens need to be removed, all interior headlining/a/b/c pillars, old roof cut/spot welds out.

New roof is then bonded in, similar to windscreen bonding.
__________________
Mod junkie..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
I have a Geoff Steel Racing one, pretty much similar to the RevoZport, but made here in the UK. Fitment is perfect - lots of labour involved in replacing the roof, both windscreens need to be removed, all interior headlining/a/b/c pillars, old roof cut/spot welds out.

New roof is then bonded in, similar to windscreen bonding.


Thanks for the reply! well it looks beautiful. can you point me to the right direction so that i can buy it?

it is not a bolt option?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

No one else????
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
FRNTHVY's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 1M/M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BrewCity

iTrader: (1)

I have thought about it although the thought of cutting my 1M up to do this just makes my head hurt.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
1356
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
I run a revozport carbon roof. Fitment is perfect and weave looks oem in 1x1 gloss. As tinsta mentioned, it is quite a bit of labor to swap a roof. In the USA is about $2500 labor. Sheds around 13lbs (1m don't have sunroof so they don't shed nearly as much as a 135i) but looks amazing.

If anyone needs revozport, pm me and I can connect you guys to take advantage of my friends and family discount
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I run a revozport carbon roof. Fitment is perfect and weave looks oem in 1x1 gloss. As tinsta mentioned, it is quite a bit of labor to swap a roof. In the USA is about $2500 labor. Sheds around 13lbs (1m don't have sunroof so they don't shed nearly as much as a 135i) but looks amazing.

If anyone needs revozport, pm me and I can connect you guys to take advantage of my friends and family discount




nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i dct
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Giggity

I've got one. (Thx to ilikebmxbikes) It's going on along with some 1M quarters very soon...
Had to dumb down the pic a lot to get it to upload. It's pretty gorgeous in person tho.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 12-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Appreciate 1
Aqua18.50

      03-13-2017, 04:32 AM   #9
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
I've got one. (Thx to Ilikebmxbikes) It's going on along with some 1M quarters very soon...
Had to dumb down the pic a lot to get it to upload. It's pretty gorgeous in person tho.



post some photos after installation!! Also, if it's possible care to share some tips or advice you encountered during installation?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #10
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys! Any one else have any tips and installation notes etc? Anyone on the RPK one as well?


I would like to know as much as possible about fitting a carbon roof
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Tinsta's Avatar
149
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: //1 CSL & F31 335dx
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Its not too difficult for a body shop to do, headliner etc all needs to come out, front and rear windscreens need to be out, plastic trims either side need to be off, you can then start to see the edge, using a small cutter etc work your way around the edge.

New roof is bonded (similar to a windscreen), held inplace with clamps whilst is sets.

sk8fe had some pics on his build thread..clicky
__________________
Mod junkie..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #12
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
32
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 1M Pure S2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Its not too difficult for a body shop to do, headliner etc all needs to come out, front and rear windscreens need to be out, plastic trims either side need to be off, you can then start to see the edge, using a small cutter etc work your way around the edge.

New roof is bonded (similar to a windscreen), held inplace with clamps whilst is sets.

sk8fe had some pics on his build thread..clicky

thank you! can't see pictures on this thread though..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #13
buzz92
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 6 Series 650i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
thank you! can't see pictures on this thread though..
The pics aren't loading here in my end either.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Tinsta's Avatar
149
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: //1 CSL & F31 335dx
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

It's photofcuket at its best! pics are the same as the carbon roof's available on M3's / M4's
__________________
Mod junkie..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
yearningirish
New Member
19
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: audi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

I'm interested to know more about this. What difference does it make if I install a carbon fiber roof? Is it just for the looks or does it have more advantage on safety? Does it repel more heat?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
85
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Hi,

I'm interested to know more about this. What difference does it make if I install a carbon fiber roof? Is it just for the looks or does it have more advantage on safety? Does it repel more heat?
Only three advantages:
1) lighter in a crucial spot (weight up high on a car especially bad for balance/handling)
2) good torsional/structural rigidity relative to weight
3) pleasing to the eye (for some)

One known negative is that if you are doing it for looks you need to leave it unpainted. Unpainted carbon fiber does not weather well. A google image search for 'sun bleached carbon fiber' should demonstrate this easily.

I also worry about carbon's susceptibility to side impacts. For a roof this would be something dropping on it from above. Maybe not super high risk, but if you have hail in your region you might want to factor in.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Tinsta's Avatar
149
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: //1 CSL & F31 335dx
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Just to add, BMW have been putting Carbon roofs on M cars for quite awhile now, since the E46 M3 CSL, E9X M3 etc..
__________________
Mod junkie..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #18
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i dct
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Some info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
post some photos after installation!! Also, if it's possible care to share some tips or advice you encountered during installation?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413934
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 01:44 AM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1104
Rep
3,511
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
No one else????
Yes, cutting the roof off a 1M is pretty insane now. A lot of people did it early on before they realized it was a modern classic. Now, it would be pretty dumb. The car has no sunroof and there is little weight saving, it would be basically cosmetic. Not to mention you will probably weaken the car and aftermarket roofs do not get the rigorous BMW TUV testing. Carbon fiber is not to be trifled with in an accident. It can pop off completely, shatter and be extremely sharp where a metal roof will fold and stay attached.

It really makes no sense. If you want it for cosmetic reasons...it actually looks ugly to me, but if you like it, they have wraps that look like fiber.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #20
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
1356
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
No one else????
Yes, cutting the roof off a 1M is pretty insane now. A lot of people did it early on before they realized it was a modern classic. Now, it would be pretty dumb. The car has no sunroof and there is little weight saving, it would be basically cosmetic. Not to mention you will probably weaken the car and aftermarket roofs do not get the rigorous BMW TUV testing. Carbon fiber is not to be trifled with in an accident. It can pop off completely, shatter and be extremely sharp where a metal roof will fold and stay attached.

It really makes no sense. If you want it for cosmetic reasons...it actually looks ugly to me, but if you like it, they have wraps that look like fiber.

Best wishes.
I agree it would be a shame to cut a 1m and a Cf roof Beyond the slick top will likely save only 11-13lbs but it won't weaken the car anymore an e92 or f8x car with a Oem roof would over a non sunroof model. The 1m has a support bar like the oem cars with CF roofs. Revozport roofs are TUV approved for quality but that doesn't have a ton to do with rollover etc
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST