BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Let's install a European Warning Triangle

I am moving to a new host for my site and do not want to go through all my posts to keep images. As a result, I have converted this post into a PDF you can download.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E8X Triangle.pdf (393.5 KB, 478 views)

Last edited by AndyM; 06-23-2016 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Nunnsie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe/Step/iDrive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Does anyone have the part number for the brackets?

Found them and only spent $2.24 + shipping!

Bracket: 51 49 7 167 548
Expanding nut: 07 14 6 976 114
Screw: 07 12 9 905 220

Last edited by Nunnsie; 06-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: adding information
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

So who needs to be warned if Europeans are nearby?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
If you do Euro Delivery you get the warning triangle and first aid kit installed.
      05-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Most Americans do. It means pull out of the passing lane
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Well seriously, why don't we get the first aid kit and warning triangle?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Well seriously, why don’t we get the first aid kit and warning triangle?
Warning triangle is reflective only on one side. I assume the DOT feels Americans are not smart enough to know which side should face traffic. As to the first aid kits, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Well seriously, why don't we get the first aid kit and warning triangle?
Because it's not required by law to be in the vehicle at all times like it is in mainland Europe?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Because it's not required by law to be in the vehicle at all times like it is in mainland Europe?
And in Germany and most of Europe you also need a reflective warning vest for every person in the car! I had always thought this was optional - but last year when the local Polizei pulled me over they asked to see my first aid kit(and the exp date!) and my warning vest!! I was kind of shocked about the vest request, since I did not think that was German law yet. But it must be now.

Also... when you drive thruought europe... some countries have crazy laws!!!

Cars with the non EU tags(the blue stripe on the left hand side of the tag) ie: the old white tag with black numbers need to also have an OVAL with the country the car is registered.

You also need to carry a spare light bulb set when you leave Germany.

When you go into Spain and Portugal, you need TWO warning triangles. You also need TWO spare light bulb kits! I think it is a huge fine if you don't have them. 500 euros!?

Italy requires DRL (day time running lights) to be switched on when on back roads. ie off the Autostrada.

I am sure there are more weird laws. But those are the ones I know about! And ohh... don't forget to bring your double green (ins) cards with you!!! That is a BIG time fine if you can not prove you have car insurance! lol

- David -
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
guydude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
where do i buy this?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Try you local dealer. I think LeatherZ also sells it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Wow, this is a "mod" that people actually do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
And in Germany and most of Europe you also need a reflective warning vest for every person in the car! I had always thought this was optional - but last year when the local Polizei pulled me over they asked to see my first aid kit(and the exp date!) and my warning vest!! I was kind of shocked about the vest request, since I did not think that was German law yet. But it must be now.

Also... when you drive thruought europe... some countries have crazy laws!!!

Cars with the non EU tags(the blue stripe on the left hand side of the tag) ie: the old white tag with black numbers need to also have an OVAL with the country the car is registered.

You also need to carry a spare light bulb set when you leave Germany.

When you go into Spain and Portugal, you need TWO warning triangles. You also need TWO spare light bulb kits! I think it is a huge fine if you don't have them. 500 euros!?

Italy requires DRL (day time running lights) to be switched on when on back roads. ie off the Autostrada.

I am sure there are more weird laws. But those are the ones I know about! And ohh... don't forget to bring your double green (ins) cards with you!!! That is a BIG time fine if you can not prove you have car insurance! lol

- David -

Where are you getting this information from?

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

haha that info is correct even though it may sound weird... Im in the military over in Germany right now and you have to look into all these laws when you go traveling. As for the vest law, I dont know if that is actually signed into law yet, maybe just a grouchy polizei, did they write you a ticket? When we go get our cars registered they go through inspection every year, part of that inspection is checking for all of the items required by law ie the warning triangle and the first aid kit/spare tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
And in Germany and most of Europe you also need a reflective warning vest for every person in the car! I had always thought this was optional - but last year when the local Polizei pulled me over they asked to see my first aid kit(and the exp date!) and my warning vest!!
I believe that in some contries the warning vests need to be in the passenger compartment, not in the trunk.

I don't remember seeing an expiration date on my first aid kit. I will look tonight.
      06-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Wow, this is a "mod" that people actually do?

Where are you getting this information from?

...Some of it is from word of mouth from other service members. Some from German friends. Some from personal experience. I also read ADAC's monthly mag sometimes.

I know what the German Polizei asked me when he stopped me! I was kind of shocked he was asking to see my warning vest. But I had one. He seemed a bit pissed that I had one. He then wanted to look at the date of my first aid kit. I think bc lots of Americans switch them from car to car, pcs to pcs.

I know a vest is not required for your car to pass the yearly inspection... but I think you do need one. Better safe than sorry I think. When the cops fine you over here... it is CASH or CC on the spot!

What was not correct - that I wrote in my last post>?

Btw... as most of us military sales or ppl who took euro delivery - the cars come with the warning triangle installed from BMW.

Btw-II... people have always told me that the Polizei when they drive at night(and you can't see the lights on the autobahn) or when they drive unmarked cars.... that the Polizei drive like crazed people. Like they try to race you cut across lanes, don't signal ect... I never believed that... until I was pulled over last year! That cop drove like a nut behind me! Tailgating me and trying to race me! He would never pass me though! Once he stopped me... he was somewhat confused by my German cover plates and kept asking me IF I was an MP or CID! lol I kept telling him NO! We all get these tags now. It was a young cop. lol

Last edited by Dackelone; 06-17-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #17
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
...Some of it is from word of mouth from other service members. Some from German friends. Some from personal experience. I also read ADAC's monthly mag sometimes.

I know what the German Polizei asked me when he stopped me! I was kind of shocked he was asking to see my warning vest. But I had one. He seemed a bit pissed that I had one. He then wanted to look at the date of my first aid kit. I think bc lots of Americans switch them from car to car, pcs to pcs.

I know a vest is not required for your car to pass the yearly inspection... but I think you do need one. Better safe than sorry I think. When the cops fine you over here... it is CASH or CC on the spot!

What was not correct - that I wrote in my last post>?

Btw... as most of us military sales or ppl who took euro delivery - the cars come with the warning triangle installed from BMW.

Btw-II... people have always told me that the Polizei when they drive at night(and you can't see the lights on the autobahn) or when they drive unmarked cars.... that the Polizei drive like crazed people. Like they try to race you cut across lanes, don't signal ect... I never believed that... until I was pulled over last year! That cop drove like a nut behind me! Tailgating me and trying to race me! He would never pass me though! Once he stopped me... he was somewhat confused by my German cover plates and kept asking me IF I was an MP or CID! lol I kept telling him NO! We all get these tags now. It was a young cop. lol

I wasn't saying what you said was wrong, I'm just one of those people that need to see these things in writing somewhere, thats all. The rules in other countries baffle me. I mean, a light bulb kit? Are you f**king serious?! That right there is overdoing it a bit, I think. And we thought the laws in the US were bad.

And requiring the safety vest inside the passenger area of the car is stupid too, IMO. I hate having a cluttered car, I hate having things just laying around inside to blow around or move while I'm driving. I've been here a year and have never been pulled over (knock on wood), I think I'll wing it until I'm gone. I usually stick to the speed limit 99% of the time anyways.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I wasn't saying what you said was wrong, I'm just one of those people that need to see these things in writing somewhere, thats all. The rules in other countries baffle me. I mean, a light bulb kit? Are you f**king serious?! That right there is overdoing it a bit, I think. And we thought the laws in the US were bad.

And requiring the safety vest inside the passenger area of the car is stupid too, IMO. I hate having a cluttered car, I hate having things just laying around inside to blow around or move while I'm driving. I've been here a year and have never been pulled over (knock on wood), I think I'll wing it until I'm gone. I usually stick to the speed limit 99% of the time anyways.
Well.... Germany has all sorts of wierd laws. Like making it against the law to wash your own car ON your own property! They want you to go to one of those wash strasses - so the water gets recycled. My personal favoerite is making WEDS and SAT designated days of the week to CLEAN! lol Ever wonder why we see Germans cleaning outside thier homes on those days!

Yea... well... the light bulb kits are law. I have heard that the vest needs to be inside the pass area too. But I keep mine in my trunk.

You guys know about Austria's autobahn decall/vignette right? When you drive on the Austrian autobahn you need to buy a toll sticker in order to use the autobahn. You can buy these in GERMANY just before you cross the border. 7 euros for a ten day decall. They have more expensive ones too.

The Austrian polizei setup check points... like at the toll for the Brenner Pass or they just watch you thru binoculars on the bahn. IF you have no decall... it is a 110 euro fine! Right there and then. IF you have a decall... but don't apply it to the windshield... or if you apply the decall half way(so to remove later) they consider that tampering... like that you will switch it to another car -so that is a huge fine! 500 euros - right there and then. Ohh... have no money... they will drive you to an ATM or... take something of yours that is on equal value. Like a cell phone, car radio, ect. Crazy!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Vests in Italy need to be in reach of the driver, in case of an emergency you need to be able to put it on before leaving the vehicle... mostly for autostrada use. And only the driver is required to wear one. Reflective triangles are a law here as well... if you pull over for a break down or whatever, you must place the triangle 50 feet back along the road to identify to other motorists of a car off the side of the road because the roads are soo narrow.

As well, if you see an accident, and your the first by it is a LAW that you have to stop and render assistance. If you dont and the local police see you they will fine you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
As well, if you see an accident, and your the first by it is a LAW that you have to stop and render assistance. If you dont and the local police see you they will fine you.
YuP! Same thing in Germany. In fact... on German tv you sometimes see on the car tv shows... showing how the Polizei setup local stings to "test" people.

They will setup a fake accident. And over turned velhicle, fake blood on a live victum... and a smoking car with fresh glass and so. You would be amazed on how many people slow down, almost stop, but continue on by. The Polizei are waiting up the road to give them one "healthy" ticket plus points!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

haha yea, in most countries its just common courtesy to pull over to help someone who has been in an accident, in Germany, they just went ahead and wrote that into law
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #22
larryzhou
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i mt

it doesn't come with it ?
Appreciate 0