BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

fine tuning custom stereo upgrade

I have reached a new plateau with my 1-er stereo. And of course want to go higher.

Gladen 8 inchers under the seats, Morel Hybrid Ovations in the doors and sails using their custom crossover with the tweeter attenuation enabled.

OEM wiring left in place.

Using the balanced stereo output of the OEM headunit into a JL Audio 6 channel amp.

OEM rear deck speakers in place.

---

First thing was to turn the rear deck speakers as far down as possible on the amp. Still louder than I would like. But not horrible.

I used an ohm meter to set the trim initially on the other speakers

Using info pulled from other build threads, I started with the crossover between the underseats and doors at 200hz.

I burned a disk with pink noise and a speaker phase test signal, busted out the JL Audio iphone app with phase check and RTA.

Confirmed/corrected each speaker's phase.

Then used the RTA app and pink noise to try to level match the underseat woofers and the doors.

This is where it got a little complicated. The phone was mounted on a stand where the driver's head would be. And I got close to a flat RTA response.

But there was a pretty big drop off below 100hz, and iterating by ear and by measurement, I ended up seeing the underseat woofers lower than the RTA might suggest, in order to avoid muddying up the sound. I also iterated through a few different crossover points, from about 100 hz back up to 200hz, and settled at about 175 hz as best.

But I think I can do better. Any pointers to online tutorials that might up my game?

On the other hand I may be maxing out the potential of this setup, and some EQ and time alignment might be necessary -- but I don't like to buy gear just for the heck of it!
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.

Last edited by nato-main-man-5am; 08-06-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0