BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Morquan
Rep
Drives: 11 135i M-Sport DCT

Blizzaks: WS70 vs LM-25

Can anyone comment on how significantly the grip on Blizzak WS70 and LM-25 differ in non-dry road conditions?

My 135 may be my only vehicle for the winter, so I'm really wondering if the WS70 are going to keep me on the road in conditions where the LM-25 would not. If the difference isn't great enough to keep the car in the garage, I'd just as soon have the superior dry performance of the LM-25.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Groundzero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I don't have any experience with either tires, however I do plan on getting WS70s for my 1er. As my DD year round I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
johnnyB
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

@ Morquan,

What rims do you plan on using these on. I know I am in the same situation with the same tires. I think I saw in a thread that we can possibly run 225/40 all around with stock 261's. But First snow in the front range was today so was an awakening that I need to get my summer tires off.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Morquan
Rep

I'll be ordering a set of 17" rims for the winter: Sport Edition KM11

The cheaper 17" tires help to somewhat defray the costs of the rims, and there are plenty other advantages to using them over the factory 18s.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morquan View Post
Can anyone comment on how significantly the grip on Blizzak WS70 and LM-25 differ in non-dry road conditions?

My 135 may be my only vehicle for the winter, so I'm really wondering if the WS70 are going to keep me on the road in conditions where the LM-25 would not. If the difference isn't great enough to keep the car in the garage, I'd just as soon have the superior dry performance of the LM-25.

Thanks!
I have the lm-25's and they have been fine. I routinely take my car up to Whistler mountain in the winter and have not had any issues. I have made it out of my driveway up there in 20" of snow...it was plowing the snow but I made it out and down my street. I have good grip in soft snow and okay in hard pack. The grip once moving is great adn the car conrners well...if you act like and idiot you could easily put it off the road! I haven't tried the WS70 but I believe they are a softer compound and better for snow/ice. I had a soft pare of Blizzaks on my wife's G35 sedan years ago and they ROCKED in the snow. The grip in the ice was amazing. Definetly a superior hard pack/ice/snow tire. The dry grip was fine BUT the tread wear was terrible. Are the newer ones better??? I don't know.
I lived in Northern Canada for two winters in a town that had similar winter cold to Minnesota. We had ice that would stick around for months. I was glad to have a really soft snow tire for that stuff. Maybe for Minnesota the WS70 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

I have a set of new 17' OEM M rims to sell if you are interested in. ask for 750 plus shipping.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593269
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Morquan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I have the lm-25's and they have been fine. I routinely take my car up to Whistler mountain in the winter and have not had any issues. I have made it out of my driveway up there in 20" of snow...it was plowing the snow but I made it out and down my street. I have good grip in soft snow and okay in hard pack. The grip once moving is great adn the car conrners well...if you act like and idiot you could easily put it off the road! I haven't tried the WS70 but I believe they are a softer compound and better for snow/ice. I had a soft pare of Blizzaks on my wife's G35 sedan years ago and they ROCKED in the snow. The grip in the ice was amazing. Definetly a superior hard pack/ice/snow tire. The dry grip was fine BUT the tread wear was terrible. Are the newer ones better??? I don't know.
I lived in Northern Canada for two winters in a town that had similar winter cold to Minnesota. We had ice that would stick around for months. I was glad to have a really soft snow tire for that stuff. Maybe for Minnesota the WS70 is the way to go.
Thanks for the input, especially on the ice/hard pack advantage - it sounds like the softer option would add a level of insurance for the worst case scenarios. The tread wear difference is probably a wash, since the WS70 are much cheaper.

I'd still like to hear from someone with the WS70, or wider WS60, on how much the driving experience suffers. The fact is, 95% of my driving is commuting on highways, and even in Minnesota, the majority of the time the highways are clear and dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Morquan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
I have a set of new 17' OEM M rims to sell if you are interested in. ask for 750 plus shipping.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593269
That's an attractive option for sure, but I don't think I can justify the extra cost compared to the KM11s. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morquan View Post
Thanks for the input, especially on the ice/hard pack advantage - it sounds like the softer option would add a level of insurance for the worst case scenarios. The tread wear difference is probably a wash, since the WS70 are much cheaper.

I'd still like to hear from someone with the WS70, or wider WS60, on how much the driving experience suffers. The fact is, 95% of my driving is commuting on highways, and even in Minnesota, the majority of the time the highways are clear and dry.
If memory serves me...Gill from Tirerack runs the WS70??? Maybe he can offer some input. He's the pro so he should know!
Appreciate 0