04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #441
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerx View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It seems the Americans only care about 0-60 or 1/4mile 1 whole second faster at the track makes 1 series M coupe look pretty pathetic in my opinion.
Was it a flying lap?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #442
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Was it a flying lap?
No it wasn't, because the article mentioned DSG launch control and AWD really helped TTRS do better than 1 series M coupe. 1 series M coupe is too torquey at low RPM and the driver was sliding left and right out of almost every corner. That is why I think ///M car should stay NA.

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg

Last edited by runnerx; 04-20-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #443
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No it wasn't, because the article mentioned DSG launch control and AWD really helped TTRS do better than 1 series M coupe. 1 series M coupe is too torquey at low RPM and the driver was sliding left and right out of almost every corner. That is why I think ///M car should stay NA. Turbos belong to AWD.
So then the lap time is on par. The TTRS was ahead by one second due to the launch.

Sliding all over the place? Since when? Maybe the test driver had the stability control off for the video shots?

Better face facts that the days of NA M cars are over.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #444
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
No it wasn't, because the article mentioned DSG launch control and AWD really helped TTRS do better than 1 series M coupe. 1 series M coupe is too torquey at low RPM and the driver was sliding left and right out of almost every corner. That is why I think ///M car should stay NA. Turbos belong to AWD.
You better tell those idiots at Porsche that they got it all wrong with the GT2 RS. It only lapped Nurburgring in 7:32.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #445
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
You better tell those idiots at Porsche that they got it all wrong with the GT2 RS. It only lapped Nurburgring in 7:32.
well turbo creates a lot of low end torque which make it harder to throttle out of a corner with FR cars. Porsche is ass heavy, so it can use the mass torque more efficiently. again that is just my own opinion. I personally prefer NA + RWD + manual tranny over anything else.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #446
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi TT TFSI

Quote:
No it wasn't, because the article mentioned DSG launch control and AWD really helped TTRS do better than 1 series M coupe. 1 series M coupe is too torquey at low RPM and the driver was sliding left and right out of almost every corner. That is why I think ///M car should stay NA.
I think it was a flying lap from reading it. A timed lap from a dig would be pretty meaningless.

Quote:
The BMW was down a second to the Audi on the 2.0 mile course. The Audi pulled away on the super long, super fast multi apex right hand sweeper. It's combination of stability, all wheel drive, and it's smooth transmission was unbeatable here. In the same sectio, the BMW wanted to go sideways at ~110mph. It didn't help that it required an upshift at one of the apexes. Through the rest of the course, the two were neck and neck.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #447
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
well turbo creates a lot of low end torque which make it harder to throttle out of a corner with FR cars. Porsche is ass heavy, so it can use the mass torque more efficiently. again that is just my own opinion. I personally prefer NA + RWD + manual tranny over anything else.
I wonder if it was the overboost that maybe caused an almost unexpected change/hike in torque when powering out of corners? It doesn't give the most linear torque curve when it kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #448
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
To each his own. Just a little surprised that one could make such a broad statement as 'turbo for AWD only'.
There are many really good S/C'd, turbo RWD cars out there that can get good grip out of turns. A good LSD and tires evens the playing field. My 600hp S/C'd Corvette sticks quite well with 325 width tires, even with that big lump of V8 out front.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #449
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
To each his own. Just a little surprised that one could make such a broad statement as 'turbo for AWD only'.
There are many really good S/C'd, turbo RWD cars out there that can get good grip out of turns. A good LSD and tires evens the playing field. My 600hp S/C'd Corvette sticks quite well with 325 width tires, even with that big lump of V8 out front.
that statement was removed after a cup of coffee...

Last edited by runnerx; 04-20-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #450
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you driven the N54? It is not a big blast of torque like you you see in a car such as an EVO or STI. Power delivery is very smooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #451
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you driven the N54? It is not a big blast of torque like you you see in a car such as an EVO or STI. Power delivery is very smooth.
The 1M has overboost though doesn't it. Which from dyno curves from Z4iS doesn't look to give a very linear power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #452
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneem-TT View Post
The 1M has overboost though doesn't it. Which from dyno curves from Z4iS doesn't look to give a very linear power delivery.
Overboost yes...if your foot is mashed to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #453
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Overboost yes...if your foot is mashed to the floor.
But think about it. You are modulating the throttle coming out of a corner, applying more and more gradually, then comes in the overboost with a big dollop of extra torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #454
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The article states that the Audi was faster in one corner otherwise the cars were evenly matched on the track.

The acceleration advantage is a combination of 4 wheel drive (which U. S. cars will have), DCT, and launch control. In the end, the U. S. Audi may or may not be faster than the 1M in a straight line, we'll have to see. It should be able to launch harder with the 4 wheel drive.

Audis don't do much for me. A 5 cylinder with more boost pressure can make the same power as a larger 6 cylinder on less boost but I wonder about how long it will do it. A 5 cylinder engine just seems weird to me too. One of the reason I think of Audis as girl cars is girls don't typically care how many cylinders their car has and how it makes power. They just want it to go. But then some people say my 128i is a girlie car too.

Jim
      04-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #455
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I would think that with it's larger displacement, the 1M can be tuned for higher output than the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #456
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
I would think that with it's larger displacement, the 1M can be tuned for higher output than the Audi.
Depends on how big your wallet is I suppose but Audi did have 600hp test mules and it is the only cgi block in a production petrol engine in the world.

It seems to be pretty robust thus far with what people in Europe are having good results already with tuning, the ecu is not locked and 400hp+ comes with a remap.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #457
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Im sorry, but I am sick of biased people saying terms like "its to easy to drive, anyone can drive it" or "its to easy to go fast in it".

If you want to drive something that requires your full attention buy a viper without traction control. I will take something that is smooth, and fast.

Oh and 12.1 vs 13.0 is about 7 car lengths in the quarter.
i understand but you also have to understand that there are many car manufactures out there that make different products for different people with different tastes. I have had several audis and loved them all but the bmw driving experience is indeed different. as far as your 7 car lengths quote, not everyone lives their life a QM at a time. You of all people should understand this if that is your car in your sig as that is really a driver’s car and while quick in a straight line, there are other car options that do just that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #458
XC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupé

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
There comes a time in your life in which you must decide what do you really want. Do I want to arrive to the next light faster? (0-60) with a dedicated, 2-seater sports car (Audi TTrs, Porsche Cayman, 911, Ferrari (!) etc) a wathever cost? or do I want a car that is a pleasure to drive and also blends well in my everyday's life? For me that's exactly what a BMW provides to me. An excellent, best quality german driving tool that is perfect for my driving, but also can carry the ocasional shopping and ocasional guest (my elder aunt, my 7 year old and my 4 years old nephew to school in the morning, etc.) (And it doesn't hurt that it looks phenomenal!) I don't really care if there are sexier, faster, more expensive sports cars out there. My BMW is what I really want.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #459
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

I won't lie, I thought I would never use the backseats of my car, but I actually do quite often. Sometimes you have to drive your friends or family when going out. It's actually comfortable back there from what I've been told.

The 1M is so nice...small and powerful RWD with M-handling/6-speed/smooth in-line six and usable back seats...

Only wish you could get Coral Red Leather LOL
      04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #460
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC View Post
There comes a time in your life in which you must decide what do you really want. Do I want to arrive to the next light faster? (0-60) with a dedicated, 2-seater sports car (Audi TTrs, Porsche Cayman, 911, Ferrari (!) etc) a wathever cost? or do I want a car that is a pleasure to drive and also blends well in my everyday's life? For me that's exactly what a BMW provides to me. An excellent, best quality german driving tool that is perfect for my driving, but also can carry the ocasional shopping and ocasional guest (my elder aunt, my 7 year old and my 4 years old nephew to school in the morning, etc.) (And it doesn't hurt that it looks phenomenal!) I don't really care if there are sexier, faster, more expensive sports cars out there. My BMW is what I really want.
+1... and looks like Autoexpress will give up the 1 second also...

Rival: Audi RS3
Hottest A3 is the same price and just as powerful, but uses a different approach. It has a five-door body, twin-clutch gearbox and four-wheel drive – and ultimately isn’t as much fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #461
135ARG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

135i Coupe sport with: JB4, BMW Performance Exhaust, Cross Drill/Perforated front rotors, Black Kidney Grills, Carbon Mirrors, Carbon Tail, Carbon Diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #462
PSYMON81
BMW FANATIC
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Black - 320d x touring

I will like to see soon a comparison between 1M and rs3...this shoud be a comparison, tt is not same segment car....can be tested with Z4, not with 1M....
Appreciate 0