BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Why monopolies are bad...

As any WA'er looking at buying a BMW knows, there's only one dealer in Perth - Auto Classic. So, they're a monopoly.

I signed for my 135i in May, before the release. I've not had any dealer initiated contact since then. All of my contact has been as a result of my emailing or calling the Corporate salesman that I dealt with. No problem, he was quick to respond.

However, I was a little miffed that I wasn't advised of a production slot, a VIN or a ship date - for a couple of reasons I didn't contact him to ask.

I found out why today.

He left the company 3 weeks ago to go back to the UK. For f***'s sake! Not a squeak out of him before or the dealer since? How hard is it? One of the other guys at work is due his 120i next week and he hadn't heard anything either.

We only found out 'cos yet another work colleague went there today to show yet another person the 135.

Sheez, not impressed Auto Classic. What are we paying your commission and highly priced dealer delivery for again????

08-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Monopoly or not, I think car dealers in general aren't always the most competent! I have the same story on a Audi R8, the sales person left...except they fking lost my order!!! I only found out when a few months down the track my mates were all invited to their dealer and motorshow for the launch and I received nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Heya Simon, I ordered from AC as well and felt they were pretty good on the whole.

The lass I was negotiating with left around 3 weeks after we started - didn't find out till I came in to order! There wasn't a lot of leeway in the bargaining in the end having started with a new rep cold like that...

The deal I got wasn't too bad given the demand and the above: got about $1,300 in treatment/fittings but nothing off sticker. We'll see how the order goes from here...

Incidentally the sales manager - Joe, I think - is a real gent, agreed to let me have the car overnight to try out!

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Doesn't this just sum up the whole stuffed up situation we have in this state? Staff are being poached everywhere - simply because there is such a labour shortage - thanks to the mining boom. All that's left are generally unemployable or just plain bone idle.

Service?? Forget that! You can take it or leave it is the attitude. I really miss going out in Perth and having a good meal with good service. A few months back the wife and I went out for dinner at a so-called top restuarant on the Swan - $400 later (no wine or grog as I was driving) and the service was mediocre (foreign student).

This may be the Golden state and the Boom state but the standards and service are Third World.

Maybe that explains why West Australians travel so much!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
SimonB
Australia
Rep

amk2912, don't mention the bl**dy mining boom to me. I work for a fairly large mining company and I certainly aren't seeing a sign of the boom in my pocket. You'd think we had 50,000 people working in the Pilbara the way the media carry on. There are only so many haul pack drivers, drillers, cooks and sheet changers that can be employed per square kilometre, for gods sake.

Did you see Four Corners last week? Wonder how many people cancelled their trip to Hedland after that?

Sorry, will get off my soapbox now.
      08-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMX5 View Post
Incidentally the sales manager - Joe, I think - is a real gent, agreed to let me have the car overnight to try out!
Gee, that's good to hear. They didn't have demo's yet when I ordered . Pity about your delivery date though!
      08-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
I certainly aren't seeing a sign of the boom in my pocket.

Did you see Four Corners last week? Wonder how many people cancelled their trip to Hedland after that?
Naah - missed Four Corners last week. It's true what you say....the big $$$ aren't filtering down. Sure the wages are high but not in proportion to the billions being generated up North. The only real winners are the mining companies and the bloody tax dept.

Appreciate 0