BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

My last car was an Aviator Gray Audi TT. It was the least popular of the introductory colors on the TT and was discontinued after 4 years or so when they updated the colors on the TT. Over 8 years later, I *STILL* get comments on the color. People either love it or hate it. When I went to the Infiniti dealer to get an appraisal on it as a trade-in (I was test driving the G37), the dealer asked me why I painted the car. I insisted that it was the original color and I don't know if he believed me or not. I used to have other people yell at me on street "Paint your car!", "Why is your car covered in primer??". Other people loved it. The guy who chipped my car loved it so much that he painted his pickup that color (he really did, when I went back later, sure enough, it was Aviator Gray).

Despite all the crap I got from people (even my own mother told me she hated the color), I still loved it and never regretted choosing that color a single day of the 8 1/2 years I've owned the car.

I have a feeling Sedona Red is going to be the new Aviator Gray for me. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Someone here said it and they are spot on -- it's not about what other people think of the color, it's what you think of it.

Oh, I'll add that I happened to be mildly colorblind.
      05-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
oh, I'll add that I happened to be mildly colorblind.
LOL, that made the whole story right there.

I looked up Aviator Gray and it does look like shiny primer.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #25
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Gio's story reminds me of what happened when I invited my wife to look at a Sedona Red 128i with me. Personally, I find most One colors to be disappointing. They either look very odd under some light conditions (SGM turns purple, CSM turns dirty beige) or strike me as Designer Colors (pretty in/of themselves but...in a car?) or - naturally - are shades of ubiquitous silver. Thank goodness for the BMW classics of black, white and red.

So...thinking Sedona Red was a good blend of the unique, suitable for a One (which is why BMW introduced it in that color, sez me) and appealing, there I stood: in the dealer lot, arms outstretched with a grin on my face, saying 'Voila!' to my wife. Oh, my...she almost retched, right on the spot.

And still, it looks very pleasing to me. I feel Gio's pain. <g>

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #26
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
Gio's story reminds me of what happened when I invited my wife to look at a Sedona Red 128i with me. Personally, I find most One colors to be disappointing. They either look very odd under some light conditions (SGM turns purple, CSM turns dirty beige) or strike me as Designer Colors (pretty in/of themselves but...in a car?) or - naturally - are shades of ubiquitous silver. Thank goodness for the BMW classics of black, white and red.

So...thinking Sedona Red was a good blend of the unique, suitable for a One (which is why BMW introduced it in that color, sez me) and appealing, there I stood: in the dealer lot, arms outstretched with a grin on my face, saying 'Voila!' to my wife. Oh, my...she almost retched, right on the spot.

And still, it looks very pleasing to me. I feel Gio's pain. <g>

Jack
Good thing it wasn't your car you were showing her. I had thoughts of Sedona floating thru my head at first... but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it... I made sure to look at it in person, with my wife. Glad I did, I am not really a big fan of it, but she hated it. I wouldn't be able to live with her if I had gotten it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
thurst0509
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My wife initially wanted me to get SGM. I wanted to have something unique with this car that you don't see in every other BMW on the road, so I told her the only way I get SGM is if I get the coral red interior. She HATED that.

I still don't think she particularly likes Sedona, but she sure pretended to like it in order to block me from going with SGM/coral or Crimson/black!
      05-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #28
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Wow, with all these guys who's wives hate sedona, it seems like maybe I'm going to be single for at least the next 5 years now...
      05-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #29
kruzenkelvin
Rep
Drives:

I bought this for my wife for her Bday. I let her pick the colour. We didnt have alot of choice since there was only one 135I on the lot. She wanted the colour and I wanted the twin ts. I love it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzenkelvin View Post
I bought this for my wife for her Bday. I let her pick the colour. We didnt have alot of choice since there was only one 135I on the lot. She wanted the colour and I wanted the twin ts. I love it

It's nice that she lets you drive it. :thumbup:
      06-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #31
2QIK4U
Mike
Rep
Drives:

We ordered our 135i Sedona Red two months before the Aussy release in May. We picked the colour as the brochures illustrated a colour similar to our WRX. Last week on a visit to Melbourne we decided to go searching for the real thing. We entered the largest dealership with lots of shiny BMW's under magnesium vapor and fluro lighting.

Walking over to a rusty brown 135 we asked the rep if he had Sedona Red in stock. He said "yes, this is it".

We were with friends who ordered a Le Mans Blue 135 and in an instant they were smirking with stifled laughter. Can you imagine my embarrassment. I asked if they had road tested across the great Aussy desert and forgot to give her a wash, he said no thats it. After seeing my agony my mates stopped laughing and attempted to cheer me with the comment "Looks great Mike, no need for paint protection it's already stuffed." To which I then walked out to their continued bellowing.

Bugger me, Sedona Red is nothing like the brochure, TV advertising or any of my 100 plus downloaded photos. I feel ripped off.....

On return to Adelaide I called my dealer, he said he had good and bad news for me. The good news, I could cease my weekly phone calls as he finally had a VIN number, bad news was "Sorry mate you can't change it she's already built".... This was the first bit of useful info since ordering in March.

So I am stuck with Sedona and like it or lump it I will grow to love it. However I have decided to rename the colour "Stealth Red" cause in an Aussy summer ain't nobody going to see me coming.
Ultimately I just want the car. The colour was a minor consideration, it's capabilities to better those of the WRX was and still is the deciding factor. After all it is a BMW.

Mike...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #32
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

hahahahha 'no need for paint protection, its already stuffed' Mike - that's one hell of a mate you have

I'd never order a color without seeing it in the flesh, but that's me! Sorry to hear of your story
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #33
ucbsupafly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2QIK4U View Post
We ordered our 135i Sedona Red two months before the Aussy release in May. We picked the colour as the brochures illustrated a colour similar to our WRX. Last week on a visit to Melbourne we decided to go searching for the real thing. We entered the largest dealership with lots of shiny BMW's under magnesium vapor and fluro lighting.

Walking over to a rusty brown 135 we asked the rep if he had Sedona Red in stock. He said "yes, this is it".

We were with friends who ordered a Le Mans Blue 135 and in an instant they were smirking with stifled laughter. Can you imagine my embarrassment. I asked if they had road tested across the great Aussy desert and forgot to give her a wash, he said no thats it. After seeing my agony my mates stopped laughing and attempted to cheer me with the comment "Looks great Mike, no need for paint protection it's already stuffed." To which I then walked out to their continued bellowing.

Bugger me, Sedona Red is nothing like the brochure, TV advertising or any of my 100 plus downloaded photos. I feel ripped off.....

On return to Adelaide I called my dealer, he said he had good and bad news for me. The good news, I could cease my weekly phone calls as he finally had a VIN number, bad news was "Sorry mate you can't change it she's already built".... This was the first bit of useful info since ordering in March.

So I am stuck with Sedona and like it or lump it I will grow to love it. However I have decided to rename the colour "Stealth Red" cause in an Aussy summer ain't nobody going to see me coming.
Ultimately I just want the car. The colour was a minor consideration, it's capabilities to better those of the WRX was and still is the deciding factor. After all it is a BMW.

Mike...
I too, agonized for two days after ordering Sedona Red sight unseen. In the end, I chickened out and switched to plain jane white. Boring? Yes. Better resale value? You bet!

However, even though I can sleep better at night now, I sometimes still secretly wish that I had ordered Sedona. I don't think anyone can accurately capture its essence in a single photo because one picture can only show one of the many shades of Sedona. It's a really intriguing color and one that fits the personality of the One. Don't regret your color choice. I am sure you'll discover it's mysterious beauty after few weeks of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #34
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Its orange.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #35
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 320d Touring

> Oh- and to those of you buying white...
>
> on all the lease deals i see with work it costs another £40pcm for many cars > (particularly high end like BMW) because of the resale..
>
> This would equate to nearly a grand is suspect

Choice of colour made no difference with my lease (GE Fleet). I ran a few different colours through their ordering system to double-check, because I'd heard this rumour before. Oh, and quite like Sedona too.
1999 VW Golf Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet, Jazz Blue (gone)
and an Orange P7 mountain bike!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:29 AM   #36
K30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Choice of colour made no difference with my lease (GE Fleet). I ran a few different colours through their ordering system to double-check, because I'd heard this rumour before. Oh, and quite like Sedona too.
[/QUOTE]

You're lucky!! Tusker-direct definatey does this.. you can see the price drop on the configurator! It's not on all cars mind you. And i wouldn't know about high end Bimmers as my buget only extends to 1's and basic 3's!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #37
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1013 View Post
Its orange.

Orange:

Orange:

Not Orange:
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

My wife also dislikes a red car. Today. Twenty years ago she drove one.

Theory: Spouses dislike the sig other driving a red sports car because it's a like a plume on a bird. It attracts attention. Hehehe. In the end, everything can be explained by observing bobonos in the wild. Bonobos too!
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #39
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

The thing about Sedona Red, is that it appears so different in different conditions, more so than any other colour I've come across. The pics below are of my UK spec car, but in truth, the answer to the question "which is the truest image of Sed Red" is that they all are!

The colour never looks too good in a show room though, the bright lights enhance the 'orange' effect more than day light does..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0