BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
cbrooks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 04 Subaru WRX

kids?

im looking to get into a 135i but before i do i was wondering if anyone here has kids with babyseats front or rear facing looking for pictures and is it easy getting them in and out ect...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

My favorite back of a 135i car seat pic:

Here is a thread on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
calhounboi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Almost impossible for me to get my kids recaro seats in and out. Pain in the ass. I traded in my S2000 for a car that would be more "practical" since I was also upgrading to 2 kids, haha. My girl makes jokes now because I've put the kids in the BMW only once since getting it. Kind of wish I would have went for a 335i sedan so I could enjoy driving even when the whole family goes. Guess I'll just have to get my woman one.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

Back seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
My favorite back of a 135i car seat pic:

Here is a thread on the subject.
JUst a great picture.......lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

I have a new born, and though I haven't taken pictures of the car seat in the car, I can tell you that it's not a comfortable fit. Forget about riding with it behind you, and it really makes the passenger seat uncomfortable because it limits that adjustments you can make. The pictures shown in earlier post are toddler seats, which looks as though they fit perfect.
      04-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

This topic comes up from time to time. There are a handful of threads out there, and mostly they are mixed on opinions. More recently see here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658851

My wife does the majority of the daily drop-off p/u from daycare, so the 1er is really just for backup. I've done the snap-in infant carrier, which really was kind of a pain in the ass, but we made it work. There just isn't a ton of room between the front seats and the B-pillar to get it slid back there with ease. Since my son is bigger now, I've moved up to the Recaro ProRide which is for 20lbs up and later will convert into a booster (justifying the price with the missus as I'll be able to use it for a long time). Having that in there front-facing has not been a problem for me at all. I'm a smaller guy tho (5'9" about 165) and don't have issue twisting and stepping into the car behind the front seat to strap my son in. There is plenty of room for him now even with a passenger in the front seat.

Versus riding in the SUV, my son loves "dad's car". He can see what I'm doing behind the wheel, makes vroom vroom sounds, and every so often I'll treat him to very short (and safe, come on now folks) bursts of torque which leaves him chuckling.

Sure, it's not an ideal car for kiddos, especially if you have daily duty. But for 1-2x during the week, and the weekend cruise, it works just fine.

Good luck with your research.
      04-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
my bmr
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

I just bought my 128i and and have a daughter in a booster seat... When we put it in the car it did not fit in the bucket seat area... so she was sitting to high up for the seatbelt to hit her right. Luckly she is just old enough to not need one, so we took it out.
      04-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Unkie
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I went for a convertible 135i for the very reason of having two kids.
The seats are wonderfully easy to put in and take out when the roof is down!

The kids just drop-in :P
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Derk1127
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135

My wife and I use our car as backup. We have a maxi cosi pria 70 convertible seat in the back of my 135 coupe. We fit it into the middle so it fits like it was made for the car. Getting him in and out is a little challenging as he gets heavier but it's not so bad and he loves looking out the back window.
Appreciate 0