BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

New and I need your opinions on Man - Auto

Hello all I recently totaled my 2004 S4 and a deer, I am going to purchase a 135i tomorrow. The dealer has a few I drove a Black, Steptronic loaded except for Nav. I liked the car but I was unsure of the Auto I may not have driven it enough. I have read great things about it and heard if was almost as quick as the 6-speed. The other car is a SGM, Red leather, 6-speed loaded with Nav. I drove the 335i 6-speed and loved it. I plan on modding the car heavily. I have decided on useing Dinan parts because I would like to keep the car under warranty. I am going to buy one of the cars tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Telesto F80-6MT

Go for the manual... proper sports car + SGM is hot with red. The auto is great... for an auto... Ask your self one of two things; do you want to just floor it or do you really want to drive it? Heel toe, rev match, autobahn gearing... Good luck.
      05-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Auto or manual has nothing to do with a "proper sports car". You should maybe try telling that to Ferrari or one of the countless real drag racers out there. They are all auto.

Research is best left to do on your own or you will inevitably get ill informed OPINIONS...
      05-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

It's not just about which one is quicker. They are both similar enough in quickness.

It's about the way you like to drive. IMHO, no single decision is as significant as the choice of tranny.

While I would recommend the manual... that's MY preference. The fact is... the vast overwhelming majority of the 1-Series will be marketed with Steptronic. You can confirm this with your BMW dealer.

YOUR preference is what matters. How do you like to drive? Are there other drivers in the equation? Is traffic a factor? What have most of your favorite cars been... stick or auto? Only YOU know all the details.

That said, and since you have asked... consider the connection to the car that the manual provides. You would be much more engaged in the driving experience in so many ways.

This "debate" has been ongoing forever, and it ALWAYS gets down to driver preference, as there are always some seriously extreme polarized opinions that will be expressed.... so be true to yourself, as there is no right or wrong here.
      05-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

That's what I meant but Tag said it nicer...
      05-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just feel manual is more fun to drive. There is no doubt that automatics have there place in the racing world. I am speaking from an enthusiasts perspective. The new M3 only comes in manual. Take it for what its worth. When I say "proper" I mean rev match, heel toe, engaged in the driving experiance. Paddles just dont do for me as a daily driver. This is my opinion. I dont know why people want to bash another persons educated response unless they are defending something or they are taking what I say out of context.

I dont care whats being ordered at the dealership, the majority of people on this board are drivers and drivers want a clutch.
Period.

You dont believe me... Do a poll to all 135 drivers on this board. The manual will be the choice hands down. There is your proof and there is nothing ill -informed about that.
      05-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
I plan on modding the car heavily.
Manual.
      05-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks guys, I just got back from the dealer. They were closed but I took another look at the car and decided that it is the one. I took a picture of it but I cannot figure-out how to post it. I will be putting my deposit on it first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your help guys I look foward to being a member of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, I just got back from the dealer. They were closed but I took another look at the car and decided that it is the one. I took a picture of it but I cannot figure-out how to post it. I will be putting my deposit on it first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your help guys I look foward to being a member of the forum.
Im assuming the manual (sgm, coral)? :wink:
      05-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

I love a manual tranny, but I see that more and more of some of us "enthusiasts" are going for the paddles. Seems strange, but it's true. While I agree that most enthusiasts would go for the manual, I just think it's not appropriate to make it sound so absolute and exclusive anymore.

Possibly because the paddles have gotten to be so freakin' fast... but I can't say for sure.

Heck, some of those paddles can now shift so fast, that it takes a micro fraction of a second... measured in decimal places!!

Oh well... the world of cars is always changing... but is it improving? :iono: Depends upon your point of view.

Congratulations on making your decision!!
      05-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I just feel manual is more fun to drive. There is no doubt that automatics have there place in the racing world. I am speaking from an enthusiasts perspective. The new M3 only comes in manual. Take it for what its worth. When I say "proper" I mean rev match, heel toe, engaged in the driving experiance. Paddles just dont do for me as a daily driver. This is my opinion. I dont know why people want to bash another persons educated response unless they are defending something or they are taking what I say out of context.

I dont care whats being ordered at the dealership, the majority of people on this board are drivers and drivers want a clutch.
Period.

You dont believe me... Do a poll to all 135 drivers on this board. The manual will be the choice hands down. There is your proof and there is nothing ill -informed about that.
The new M3 can be ordered with the M Double-clutch Transmission which is not a manual so check your facts.

I have been racing (AutoX and Drag) for 15 years so I think that would qualify me as a driver and, no, after driving this particular style of "automatic" I would take it any day as a track car over the manual. Also, no offense to anyone here but I hardly think that the majority of people on this board are what would be called hardcore drivers so I don't think polling people here is proof of anything. Its amazing how many on this board said they were getting the manual because it was faster, until several sources found the auto to be .1 faster. All of the sudden everyone starts saying their choice had nothing to do with faster it was about the experience. Change of heart...? Hmmm.

I'll defend what I think deserves to be defended from a technical standpoint. There is way too much false info. floating around this place that everyone takes as fact without even checking for themselves. This is not 1965, sorry, but the manual is no longer the "driver's" choice in the racing world.
      05-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndprssr View Post
I have been racing (AutoX and Drag) for 15 years so I think that would qualify me as a driver and, no, after driving this particular style of "automatic" I would take it any day as a track car over the manual. And to add to all that, the new M3 can be ordered with the M Double-clutch Transmission which is not a manual so check your facts. Also, no offense to anyone here but I hardly think that the majority of people on this board are what would be called hardcore drivers so I don't think polling people here is proof of anything. Its amazing how many on this board said they were getting the manual because it was faster, until several sources found the auto to be .1 faster. All of the sudden everyone starts saying their choice had nothing to do with faster it was about the experience. Change of heart...? Hmmm. I'll defend what I think deserves to be defended, there is way too much false info. floating around this place that everyone takes as fact without even checking for themselves. This is not 1965, sorry, but the manual is no longer the drivers choice in the racing world.
Harsh... but your point is quite legitimate!!
      05-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

I don't mean to be harsh but in my line of work I don't really have to deal with people too much. My "nice to people" skills are severely lacking...:iono:
      05-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Hello all I recently totaled my 2004 S4 and a deer,
Now, that sucks big time!!
Just get a manual.......no bitch stick/slush box is better than a manual:thumbup:
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Double-clutch what? You are out of your mind Snd..
I am not talking about racing or speed.
Driving. The ultimate drive... Good luck.
      05-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

You still shift with your hand with the STEP and the M DCT, your left foot having to move 3 inches doesn't make it better/harder/more manly/etc. to drive. Sorry but if you HAVE to move your left foot a little to feel like you're driving then you're doing something wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Just get a manual.......no bitch stick/slush box is better than a manual:thumbup:
This guy says so with no facts to back it up, so it must me true.

I can't wait to see how badly I get burned by everyone here again for my opinion. Even when I can support my argument along with the fact that I am certified to fix/build over 1000 different vehicles spanning three modes of transportation, I'll still have the all the twenty somethings on here telling me I'm wrong and have no clue...
      05-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

To the OP, you will see your question posted by multiple others, and it always seems to get a vigorous response on both sides of the debate. I know for me personally, I have not decided yet. I live in SoCal (traffic sucks), so paddles/auto would be nice. But I also would enjoy getting back to the connection you have with the car when using a clutch. Ultimately, as Tag said, it is a matter of personal preference, and you won't be wrong with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Now, that sucks big time!!
Bitch stick!
      05-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

Bitch stick was kind of funny, I'll give you that...

I hope you don't think I'm attacking you even though it seems like I am. People just need to check things out on their own instead of just taking what's said here as the ultimate truth. If I don't offer another opinion then, more than likely, the people who frequent here won't see it, or at least see it supported.
      05-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #20
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndprssr View Post
The new M3 can be ordered with the M Double-clutch Transmission which is not a manual so check your facts.

I have been racing (AutoX and Drag) for 15 years so I think that would qualify me as a driver and, no, after driving this particular style of "automatic" I would take it any day as a track car over the manual. Also, no offense to anyone here but I hardly think that the majority of people on this board are what would be called hardcore drivers so I don't think polling people here is proof of anything. Its amazing how many on this board said they were getting the manual because it was faster, until several sources found the auto to be .1 faster. All of the sudden everyone starts saying their choice had nothing to do with faster it was about the experience. Change of heart...? Hmmm.

I'll defend what I think deserves to be defended from a technical standpoint. There is way too much false info. floating around this place that everyone takes as fact without even checking for themselves. This is not 1965, sorry, but the manual is no longer the "driver's" choice in the racing world.
Go order your M3 double-crunch bitch stick... It be here 2011:thumbup:
      05-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

I would but they're just so damn pricey...

BTW thanks for arguing, its getting harder and harder to find people who are not too scared of getting modded to argue...
      05-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #22
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Double-clutch what? You are out of your mind Snd..
I am not talking about racing or speed.
Driving. The ultimate drive... Good luck.
Brix, I really get your point, but... (and please don't take this personal, as it's not meant to be personal)... but...

Holy smokes! Now enthusiasts just drive, and don't don't care about racing or speed? WTF?
Usually it's the "auto-tragic" crowd that "just drives"! :eyebulge:

Some of the enthusiasts' arguments flip-flop from racing and speed to the drive, depending upon the topic. That's just :bs:!!

There is a great thread about Active Steering that a couple of supposed "enthusiasts" were mentioning that the A.S. might not be proper for racing on the track... which turns out to be false, BTW, as the A.S. actually is steadier at high speed than the standard steering because it's ratio actually goes slower than the standard ratio at high speed. But some of those posters have used the other side of the coin to argue that topic, and now back over here, some self-proclaimed enthusiasts now ring a totally different bell. Interesting to say the least.

But anyway, it's amazing to me how the argument changes all the time as to what an "enthusiast" is about. Some of those Ferrari guys with the paddles consider themselves ultimate enthusiasts... so it can't be both ways... or CAN IT? :wink: I think most know the answer.

Even though I much prefer a stick, I think we should get this straight once and for all... The paddles vs. the traditional manual is a huge topic that merits its own debate , and the enthusiasts clearly belong to both camps!