BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Parking a 1 series and haters

As anyone who has ever driven a new or nice car knows....haters are everywhere.

I was thinking it is better to park a car like the 1 series in a normal spot and just take your chances. Instead of parking it away from the crowd where you can possible attract even more attention.

In a normal spot you run the risk of the dent but IMO they are much easier to have removed than what is necessary to have done to undo a "key" job.

And the 1 is not a very wide car so you also have that on your side.

Just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I think haters probably occur more often in large urban areas. In New Mexico (1% of US population) it is still legal to carry exposed pistols as long as you don't take them into a bar. Now I don't carry, but it gives an idea of the mindset here.
      06-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
I think haters probably occur more often in large urban areas. In New Mexico (1% of US population) it is still legal to carry exposed pistols as long as you don't take them into a bar. Now I don't carry, but it gives an idea of the mindset here.

I think this is right on! :w00t:
You don't see much of this kind of thing in IN either, and I would imagine it's for the same reason.

I don't typically carry either, but when I'm parked at my apartment complex I've got a good line of sight from several windows in the house, and I think a couple of warning shots would get the point across nicely, or maybe one in an extremity so they don't forget quite so quickly

I try to park my car in safe spots, without getting too anal about it. If I can grab a spot that's next to the curb, I'll take it and stay close to give the other car extra room, or take a spot next to those wide handicapped spots. I do tend to park a little further out at the mall or WalMart, where the's a lot of traffic in and out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Notes from a paranoid 1er parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post

I was thinking it is better to park a car like the 1 series in a normal spot and just take your chances. Instead of parking it away from the crowd where you can possible attract even more attention.

In a normal spot you run the risk of the dent but IMO they are much easier to have removed than what is necessary to have done to undo a "key" job.

Just some thoughts.
Notes from a paranoid 1er parker.

Alway try and find a spot at an end, or corner where there is at least 1/2 fewer chances of someone dinging your door.

Look for a spot where you can park beside someone's passenger side, chances are they don't have a passenger, so that reduces the risk.

Look for car seats, that means they will be opening the back door very wide to get their child into the seat. Back door high corners are the worst!

Make sure your car is visible, less likely someone is going to key it or break into it. Don't park behind a billboard, truck, Escalade or shed.

Try and avoid parking under or around leafy trees in the spring and summer where you can get large deposits of sap, which are almost as bad as a door ding.

Avoid overhead wires and light standards that can result in shithawk attacks. Look at the ground to see evidence of favorite bird dumping spots.

It's not always possible to find an acceptable spot quickly. Leave early if you can - to avoid being late and picking the first spot that you find.

Otherwise - throw a few of these in the trunk!
Attached Images

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

Yeah I'm worried about this too. I park my new baby on the street outside my house - it's a fairly safe area but you never know.

A few years back my Dad would park his S class Merc outside on the street (not where I now live, somewhere else). He parked it in the same spot for about a year and it was fine, then one day went outside and someone had keyed every single panel .

What I'm trying to say is you can be careful, but you can't allow for everything. Personally I try to park next to other nice cars where the owner hopefully respects their and your property, but they might drive off 10 minutes later and an SUV mum with buggys, kid seats, and no concern for bumping your car might park there instead.

It's why we have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
white135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i AW Black SSTT Ipod

I would agree. If you park in a spot that is obviously meant to protect the car (taking 2 spots, parking in handicap spaces or on the back 40 away from everyone else) you run the risk of haters do something far worse than just getting a ding. I have had my 135 less than a month and already have a small ding on the back bumper from parallel parking. I would rather have that than a key job, someone pissing on my car or a variety of other things. Just my .02.
      06-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Some people arent haters, just punks and do things just cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
ecap18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I used to park my 3 series far from other cars, and one time some hater decided to park so close to my car where i had to go in from the passenger side door, there was no reason for him to even park next to me as there were a ton of other spots available.
At the port June 4th
In Transit June 7th (Asian Chorus)
Discharged June 20th
Picked up June 26th!

BlackSapphireMetallic|BlackLeatherette|AluminumTrim|StickShift|SportsPackage|IPOD/USB
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
In New Mexico (1% of US population) it is still legal to carry exposed pistols as long as you don't take them into a bar. Now I don't carry, but it gives an idea of the mindset here.
You can do this in CA as well, it just can't be loaded. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

If I have to park next to other cars I use most others advice listed here but I also look at the car I am parking next to and if it has door dings, no way. A 4 door is a much safer bet than a 2 door since the doors on a 4 door are shorter and may not reach your car to make a ding.
      06-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

I have always parked my cars far off in the parking lot, ussualy the extra walk is enough to keep people from parking next to me. If I have to park next to someone I just look for a well kept car and figure that guy is in the same situation as me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
We can do that here in Nevada too.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:

dude your making us sound like no law havin hillbillys out here haha

idk how things are up the in "santa fe" but ive never seen it in albuquerque

and yea haters are EVERYWHERE in New Mexico, its pathetic
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
mindfield7
Rep
Drives:

Ok guys, fill me in with your definition of "Haters", I've been seeing and hearing this term on forums and tv for about a year, but it hasn't really caught on here in NYC.
I am guessing that it means anyone who expresses a negative opinion about someone, but maybe it's more. Is just a nice way of saying a$$hole? I just don't get the sweeping generalizations used with this term.
Do tell.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
kiddomoney
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3290 View Post
dude your making us sound like no law havin hillbillys out here haha

idk how things are up the in "santa fe" but ive never seen it in albuquerque

and yea haters are EVERYWHERE in New Mexico, its pathetic
Haha, Albuquerque is pretty rough in some parts. working downtown, I will never be parking my ride anywhere on the strip or surrounding streets. too many crazy cruisers and haters.
      06-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

dude i'm just glad that there are enough 7ers, sl63's, bentlys and lambos, et. al running around my neck of the woods that haters don't focus on one of the cheapest bimmers. at least i hope. but seriously, i don't even think this is conisdered a "nice car" in la. my secratary drives a 5er, for cryin out loud. my parent's housekeeper drives a 40k truck. lol. i hear many people say that c-class and 3er aren't even luxury cars - that luxury starts at the 5er/e-class range. so 135i should fly under the radar, which was one of the reasons for purchasing it.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #17
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Oh but having the roundel automatically makes you an dbag. I admit I drive a little more aggressive with the BMW, but what am I to do with the extra power at my disposal.
      06-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #18
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Oh but having the roundel automatically makes you an dbag. I admit I drive a little more aggressive with the BMW, but what am I to do with the extra power at my disposal.
Some people drive 10 mph below the speed limit in their bmw's, in the fast lane. I've seen them look back too and just look back forward and keep that pace in that lane.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
Jace
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Notes from a paranoid 1er parker.

Alway try and find a spot.....
Lester,

Great points! I personally have found that parking next to other high-end cars is usually a good way of avoiding dings as in most cases the owner of that car is trying to protect his investment as well. With that said, I just got a dent the other day and was parked between a Mercedes and a Porsche! :iono:

128i Convertible / SGM / Black Top / Sports Package / Leatherette / Heated Seats / IPOD / BMW Assist

It took just 26 days from production to my driveway!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post

Just some thoughts.
YES! Finally you and I agree on something :biggrin:
      06-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #21
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
YES! Finally you and I agree on something :biggrin:

lets not make it a habit...LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #22
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddomoney View Post
Haha, Albuquerque is pretty rough in some parts. working downtown, I will never be parking my ride anywhere on the strip or surrounding streets. too many crazy cruisers and haters.

yea thats rough haha, im up in the heights near the tram so its a little more reserved up here
Appreciate 0