BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
kidd0223
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

HELP !!! got a speeding ticket

:mad:
I was going two lanes road. Speed limit was 55, this truck in front of me was going like 35, first I was quite behind of him so I was just going to follow him. But I noticed the two lanes merging into one , and this is up hill, so I thought I'd better pass him before getting stuck all the way.

Changed lane, and gased it, going fast because I was trying to pass him from quite behind and had to pass him before the 2 lanes becomes one. But never looked speedometer. As I passed him, I saw this cop going in other direction. After he saw me, he quickly made U-turn and chased me. Since I knew I was speeding, and saw him making U-turn, I spontaneously pulled over even before he said so.

Then, there was not much talk. He just asked my driving licence and registration, and I was trying to ask his mercy but, he rarely listend.

Finally I got a ticket, saying 100 in 55, and this cop said I'll get some info regarding suspended license for 30 days.

What should I do? fight? get a lawyer? plead guilty?

A couple months ago, one of my friend got a exact same ticket like me for going 103 in 55 at the same place, but different time. He just showed up at court by himself and the cop didn't show up, so he just asked nicely that he couln't afford ticket with some excuse. So the judge reduced it from $8xx to $ 3xx.

I'm so worried. so unlucky...it was just like 1 or 2 seconds if I drove 100 mph like the cop said even though I don't think I did. Did he really clock it?

What should I do? any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by kidd0223; 02-27-2006 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #2
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Oh wow, the cop seems like an a$$hole. Usually cops around my area, if you are that courteous(pulling over before they ask you to, and tell them what happened nicely), they usually give you a warning or just regular fine ticket.

I thought going over 100mph+ is considered vehicular manslaughter and you end up in jail?

anyways, do you know if he clocked you with laser or radar? or any sort of proof that you were actually doing exactly 100mph? I guess if he had instant pop mode on all the times he could've clocked you, but if not, situations like that, they usually are assuming or going by reasonable educated guesses. If this is the case, you can hire a lawyer and pretty easily remove the ticket or lower the penalty dramatically.

Are you happened to be a teenager in a BMW?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
kidd0223
Private
Rep

man...I just turned out 30 a couple days ago..(Korean age, tho )
And I am still not so fluent of speaking English, specially under the circumstance like that, I couldn't say or ask much. So I'm not sure if he really clocked me or not.

BTW do you know how much to hire lawyer?

Last edited by kidd0223; 02-27-2006 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 04:26 AM   #4
ltcordc
Rep
Drives: E90, 330 XI

I guess I'm not as concerned about speeding tickets as once I was. On a recent trip from Heidelberg, Germany to Epernay, France, I got a French speeding ticket and a German speeding ticket (yes it is possible, even on the autobahn). Now all I have to do is get one in Italy and the Czech Republic, and I'll have a full set.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd0223
I was going two lanes road. Speed limit was 55, this truck in front of me was going like 35, first I was quite behind of him so I was just going to follow him. But I noticed the two lanes merging into one , and this is up hill, so I thought I'd better pass him before getting stuck all the way.

Changed lane, and gased it, going fast because I was trying to pass him from quite behind and had to pass him before the 2 lanes becomes one. But never looked speedometer. As I passed him, I saw this cop going in other direction. After he saw me, he quickly made U-turn and chased me. Since I knew I was speeding, and saw him making U-turn, I spontaneously pulled over even before he said so.

Then, there was not much talk. He just asked my driving licence and registration, and I was trying to ask his mercy but, he rarely listend.

Finally I got a ticket, saying 100 in 55, and this cop said I'll get some info regarding suspended license for 30 days.

A couple months ago, one of my friend got a exact same ticket like me for going 103 in 55 at the same place, but different time. He just showed up at court by himself and the cop didn't show up, so he just asked nicely that he couln't afford ticket with some excuse. So the judge reduced it to around $ 300.

I'm so worried. so unlucky...it was just like 1 or 2 seconds if I drove 100 mph like the cop said even though I don't think I did. Did he really clock it?

If the cop didnt show up to court why did he pay the ticket? Generally (every state I have lived in) the law is the cop has to show up or the ticket is thrown out.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
kidd0223
Private
Rep

Because he said he was guilty ????? are you supposed to decide if you will plead guilty or not when you do not know if the cop shows up??? No??? I don't know...

1. you go to court. Decide if you will plead guilty or not. Meet judge and find out if the cop shows up or not

2. you go to court. you find whether the cop shows up or not. Then decide if you plead guilty or not.

Which one is right??
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Im not 100% sure but I dont belive the cop had any grounds for giving you a ticket. Thats like hear say in a court case which isnt applicable. Its you word against the cops and the cop doesnt have your real speed. My opinion, FIGHT IT. That cop has no proof, he wasnt clocking you? (was he?) Either way fight it, its better then getting your license suspended, and if the cop doesnt show, you win!
      02-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Because he said he was guilty ????? are you supposed to decide if you will plead guilty or not when you do not know if the cop shows up??? No??? I don't know...

1. you go to court. Decide if you will plead guilty or not. Meet judge and find out if the cop shows up or not

2. you go to court. you find whether the cop shows up or not. Then decide if you plead guilty or not.

Which one is right??
The proceeding starts when the judge calls the case number. If the cops not there it should be dismissed automatically. You dont plead not guilty or guilty if the cop is not there. There is no case....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Any place I've ever heard of (at least in the U.S.) the ticket is dismissed if the cop doesn't show up. I remember hearing a guy on Howard Stern a few months ago - he wrote a book & has a website on how to beat tickets. One tip he gave was to call the precinct where the cop works from every day. Ask the receptionist if you can speak with Officer _____. If she transferrs you, just hang up. Keep doing so every day until she says "Officer ______ is off today".

The guy on Stern said most cops have the same day off every week, and once you find that you call the court and ask to schedule your appearance for that day of the week. There's no way on earth the cop is going to come into court on his day off to fight your ticket.
      02-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I would go and explain the circumstances to the judge. If you have a clean driving record, no previous speeding violations, and were in the process of passing, then at a minimum the charge should be reduced. It is not like you were intentionally speeding, just passing the truck quickly. States vary, but most recognize that it often is safer to pass at speeds above the limit. 100mph? Do you think that is possible? In your case a lawyer might be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
One tip he gave was to call the precinct where the cop works from every day. Ask the receptionist if you can speak with Officer _____. If she transferrs you, just hang up. Keep doing so every day until she says "Officer ______ is off today".

The guy on Stern said most cops have the same day off every week, and once you find that you call the court and ask to schedule your appearance for that day of the week. There's no way on earth the cop is going to come into court on his day off to fight your ticket.
Sounds logical ! But do traffic cops have a desk at the precinct where they spend 8 hour shifts? if so than what if you keep getting there voicemail if there out on the roads how would you know what day they have off?

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

OK, I live in another country, but in our country, the cops need to proof you are speeding(like driving behind a speeding car and looking at the gauges for 1 kilometre or so, or going through a laser/photo trap)

You say the cop was on the other side of the road and he only saw you passing that truck. He can have a clue you were going faster than 55, but how much faster. Why 100? Why not 75? Why not 120? Why is he guessing? There is no proof(correct me if 'im wrong and I dunno anything about speeding in the USA)

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
joony79
mOOnarchy
Rep
Drives: 330i SG

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
No Matter What! going to a court is always better than not going there at all. So if you have time, then go to the court, otherwise, you lose your chance to defend yourself. It turns out much better usually. So cheer up bro! 힘내세요~~~
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I cant believe that you didn't ask him to show you the radar gun w/ the speedo readout-- especially if he got you going that fast.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
if you said he saw you from the other side of the road, most likely he wont have a radar of how fast you are going. if i was you go to court, fight the case. most likely he wont show up because he wont have a radar showing how fast you were going. it will have the time and date on it and must match your ticket. normally when you are going 30 miles over the speed limit it is consider misdemeanor. he could of taken you to jail and towed your car but he didnt. he deosnt have the proof to do so... good luck man
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Get legal representation. A lot of laywers won't charge for your initial consultation. Don't run the risk of losing your license.
      02-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #17
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
man...I just turned out 30 a couple days ago..(Korean age, tho )
And I am still not so fluent of speaking English, specially under the circumstance like that, I couldn't say or ask much. So I'm not sure if he really clocked me or not.

BTW do you know how much to hire lawyer?
Are you a US citizen, or immigrant? If you are an immigrant, you might want to get a lawyer. They can thrown you out for speeding.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #18
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Get legal representation. A lot of laywers won't charge for your initial consultation. Don't run the risk of losing your license.
I agree. The stakes are pretty high. Definitely plan to show up at court well dressed and with representation. That being said, I think the best strategy is to be contrite and apologetic. I wouldn't go in there expecting to kill the ticket, as radar or not, it's obvious to everyone that you were speeding. The magistrate gets votes by appearing lenient. I'm sure your lawyer will tell you that the best chance for success is to swallow a big ticket for 70 mph or something and keep your license.

Since you sound unfamiliar with the traffic ticket thing, perhaps this is your first ticket? A clean driving record will be in your favor. In PA we can print out our ticket record for the past several years from an online site. Personally, I wouldn't call the officer several times a week and hang up. Not only does that piss him off (I don't know if you'll have to leave your name with the receptionist) but he's just trying to do his job.

Statistics should be in your favor if you can demonstrate that the stretch of road is short and uphill. After all, as long as you weren't accelerating for more than a few seconds, even in a 330i it takes a while to get up to 100 mph.

I would be respectful and logical, but not indignant. You were passing on what was about to be a one lane road and doing it at a high speed.

Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #19
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:

A couple months ago, one of my friend got a exact same ticket like me for going 103 in 55 at the same place, but different time. He just showed up at court by himself and the cop didn't show up, so he just asked nicely that he couln't afford ticket with some excuse. So the judge reduced it from $8xx to $ 3xx.

FIGHT IT! For the simple fact of how is a cop gonna be on the opposite side of the road, while driving, and clock you going a 100mph. Secondly, that 100mph i can almost guarentee is a "guesstimated" number. Unless you were using your cruise control, which accelerates in intervals of 5mph, that number 100mph is what he assumed. Why wasnt it 93? or 97? Did he even tell you what method he used to clock you with? Was it a laser gun? or just his personal experience with speeder? Either way thats a BS number for him to throw out and you should address that in court.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
kidd0223
Private
Rep

Thank you for help guys...
Now I'm thinking about getting a lawyer.
In worst case, if I fight, and the cop does show up with any proof that I was going that fast, then what's going to happen? in case of w/lawyer, and without lawyer ?

Again, if I recall, as soon as I saw the cop going in other direction, I could tell he immediately made u-turn as well as I immediately reduced speed. So I think what he estimated or clocked was my maximum speed and it only last in a sec.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Thank you for help guys...
Now I'm thinking about getting a lawyer.
In worst case, if I fight, and the cop does show up with any proof that I was going that fast, then what's going to happen? in case of w/lawyer, and without lawyer ?

Again, if I recall, as soon as I saw the cop going in other direction, I could tell he immediately made u-turn as well as I immediately reduced speed. So I think what he estimated or clocked was my maximum speed and it only last in a sec.
What e90rocks is saying, is what I said before:
This cop couldn't in any way measure your speed(the way you're telling us your story here at the forum) so what's the '100' thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #22
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i would 100% get a lawyer. my VERY first ticket i did it the "right way" and i went to driving school, and it ruined my whole record after that. if i would have gotten a lawyer for that, he would have had it thrown out. then my second ticket, i would have hired a lawyer, and the judge would have thought it was my first ticket, and he would have had it thrown out, and etc etc etc. after that. now everytime i get a ticket, which hasnt been a while, knock on wood, the judge always sees that first one, and it makes it harder and harder. so just hire a lawyer. he couldnt have clocked you, so more then likely, it will get thrown out.
the other weird thing here, is i dont think cops are suppose to write a ticket for 100 in a 55. thats almost twice the speed limit, i think anything over 30 miles over the limit, they have to take you to jail. or if they dont wanna take you to jail, they be "nice" and just write the ticket for 30 miles over the limit. i could be wrong about that part.
Appreciate 0