BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Will pay anyone in the Boston area to remove my N55 Procede.

Long story short, I need to bring my 135i into service and will need to remove the N55 Procede completely. I have removed nearly everything except for a very stubborn fuel pressure sensor.

I have tried for several hours tonight and last night and can't seem to get this one connector out.

It is documented in this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551796

Willing to pay someone in the Boston (South Shore) area to help me remove this one stubborn fuel pressure sensor connector. Payment can be beer of your choice or cash money. Please PM me if you are interested. I am getting desperate and would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

EDIT: Update: Finally got the stubborn fuel pressure sensor connector removed using woner's technique. Special thanks to woner for taking the time to help me out!

Mods, please close thread.

Last edited by daixloxbmw; 07-09-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
This should be posted in the regional forums.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

You may want to try removing the engine cover to access the fuel pressure sensor from the front of the car. That's how I finally removed mine. The procede connector didn't seem to release the same way as the oem one.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
You may want to try removing the engine cover to access the fuel pressure sensor from the front of the car. That's how I finally removed mine. The procede connector didn't seem to release the same way as the oem one.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm not the only one who has struggled with this. I am definitely finding that the Procede connector is not the same as the OEM one.

Is it difficult to remove the engine cover? Did you have to remove a bunch of other stuff to get the engine cover off? Seems like the intake pipe and a bunch of wires will need to be moved to remove the engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good DIY on the N55 engine cover removal?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

I'm going to opt for a simple piggyback because of stuff like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I'm going to opt for a simple piggyback because of stuff like this.
It's much easier to install a piggyback if you have an n54 since everything plugs into one place. Or you could get a flash tune. I have n54 envy.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
It's much easier to install a piggyback if you have an n54 since everything plugs into one place. Or you could get a flash tune. I have n54 envy.
I had a 2008 335i with the N54 as well prior to my current 2011 135i with the N55, both tuned by Procede.

Installation was definitely easier with the N55, maybe because I was already used to it from doing it so many times on my N54. Not sure why the removal on the N55 (the fuel pressure sensor specifically), was so damn difficult. Aside from this one snag, the install and removal was relatively easy for the N55.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
how far south are you? i wouldn't be much help myself (somerville, n54, jb4), but i know a guy who has an n54 with a procede. odds are the clip's different, but i could at least send him a pm for you and see if he has any ideas

edit: just saw you used to have a proceded n54 yourself, so my buddy prob wouldn't be able to tell you anything you didn't know yourself. but lemme know either way. clips/fasteners can be a real bitch

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by and 1 View Post
how far south are you? i wouldn't be much help myself (somerville, n54, jb4), but i know a guy who has an n54 with a procede. odds are the clip's different, but i could at least send him a pm for you and see if he has any ideas

edit: just saw you used to have a proceded n54 yourself, so my buddy prob wouldn't be able to tell you anything you didn't know yourself. but lemme know either way. clips/fasteners can be a real bitch
The clips are way different between N54 and N55 so I don't think there are much similarities. The N54 Procede intercepts the signals directly at the ECU whereas N55 Procede intercepts the signals directly from each sensor. They are very different.

Thanks for the offer though. This may require someone with N55 experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Attempt #3: Tried woner's suggestion to move the engine cover slightly to get more room to work the connector but still no luck. I am all out of ideas.

Any one want to help me out for a quick buck? I am willing to pay you for your troubles.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Finally got the stubborn fuel pressure sensor connector removed using woner's technique. Special thanks to woner for taking the time to help me out!

Mods, please close thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, after spending some time to analyze the now removed Procede fuel pressure sensor connector, I have now realized the problem.

So I am posting these pictures here partly to prove that I am not a complete idiot who spent four consecutive days trying to remove a simple connector but also so I can share the lesson I have learned from this experience.

The Procede and OEM fuel pressure sensor connector is exactly the same with one major difference. The Procede connector has an additional gray tab, which is supposed to make pressing down on the thin black release tab easier. This gray tab is completely independent of the rest of the connector and moves around semi freely and it is supposed to sit flush with the back end thin black release tab.

This is what it is supposed to look like from the front end of the connector. Pressing down on the back end of the gray tab is supposed to push down the thin black tab and push up both pieces on the front end to release the clip. Notice how the gray tab is sitting further in than the thin black release tab, this allows the two to be raised upwards in the front when pressed down in the back.

This is how mine looked like when I removed it. Notice how the gray tab is pushed forward more and it is almost flush with the front end of the thin black release tab. Also notice how the gray tab is already touching the edge of the locking mechanism leaving it no room to move. Therefore, pressing down on the back end does not raise the front end and it was permanently locked.

Not sure if you can tell by the pictures but the only reason I got it out was because I got under the engine cover with a screwdriver and forced it out and broke the top part of that locking mechanism and that was the only way I could get it out. If I were to reinstall it, it might just remove that gray tab altogether. My theory is that during installation, I must have pushed forward on the gray tab when installing the connector and that must have jammed that locking mechanism. So be careful not to make my mistake and push only on the connector itself, not the gray tab.

Live and learn... cost me for days of my life and cramped, cut and bloodied hands but I will never forget this lesson...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0