BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Have you tracked your 1 series?
Yes - I've tracked it before but no more... 9 8.04%
Yes - I've tracked it and still do! 33 29.46%
No - I haven't tracked it yet but maybe someday! 50 44.64%
No - I've never tracked it and don't ever plan to. 20 17.86%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

03-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #23
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
So a mod list of the following doesn't consist of a track car?

TCKline Dual Adjustable Coilovers #400 Fronts, #700 Rears
17x9 255/40 RE-71R Square
DiffsOnline 3-Clutch Custom Ramp Differential + 95A Bushings
27mm Front Swaybar/19mm Rear
Recaro SPG w/VAC Hardware
aFe Stage 2 SI CAI
BMW SSK
Active Autowerke Headers + Tune
17lb LTW Braille Battery
Muffler Delete
330 Front Calipers, Ferodo DS2500 Fronts, HPS 5.0 Rears
Bimmerworld Stud Kit
+ Other Misc Parts. The car is developed

Weight - 2941 lbs

Doesn't it sound kind of elitist? Don't get me wrong I understand track is a different environment but this car qualifies as a NASA TTD car, and I've been on the track...although it's not my priority.

Setup of these cars from track vs autocross isn't much different.

Race Track =/= HPDE
In this thread, I’m just interested in the people who own the 1 series and if they have done a HPDE at a race track. And I’m happy to see that there are more than several who have tracked it or have an interest.

That is a very good list of mods, no doubt. But fully modded or fully stock, anyone can participate in a track day. Sadly, we’ve all seen those modded cars at car meets where the owners modified it heavily for the track, but they’ve never driven it on the track or ever will… The car's setup or its modifications isn’t relevant for this topic or poll - as long as you own a 1 series, you’re good in my book But we all know threads can go off on a tangent so easily.

By “race track”, I mean the physical surface of a circuit at a motorsports facility
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
While I agree about the driver's mod, no matter how good you are it doesn't help with the overheating, reliability, and chances of things breaking on a tracked N54 bimmer

I would like to hear about the M3's track issues since I'm really considering one especially to do HPDEs with. Feel free to PM me

I don't have a daily commute to work anymore so my one and only car can be more performance/track oriented, I have considered a AP1 S2K or even a miata to have has a dedicated track beater, just don't know if i want one as my only car haha.
As long as you keep the engine at stock boost, you should have no issue with overheating or reliability.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Posted a fun track video here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232571
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
As long as you keep the engine at stock boost, you should have no issue with overheating or reliability.
The M3 or the 135i? The N54 1er can eventually overheat at stock boost levels on the track during extended sessions. Happens faster if you up the boost. N55 I have heard is better off, but no first hand experience with that.

Sad to say, I started to mod my car after a handful of track days. Then lost the free time to do track days. LOL

Still enjoy my mods on the twisties though.
      03-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #27
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I've tracked my car a few times:

Stock msport suspension
M3 front control arms (-1 degree front camber)
Nolathane polyurethane rear subframe bushings
Yokohama AD08R 225F/255R
Ferodo DS2500 on stock calipers

Downpipes
Intercooler
MHD Stage 2

Goes really well, although needs much more camber. Outside front of the tyres get worn out fast and it tends to understeer due to the staggered setup.

Every time I go to the track I get some sort of issue. First time a water hose let go and the car overboosted. 2nd time a diverter valve popped off the charge pipe (my fault). Twice I have had fuel pressure codes when the tank is low (fuel pick up issue?). Car hasn't gone to limp due to overheating though. These cars will need quite a few mods/maintenance to get them reliable on the track. Either that or go back to the stock tune.

Be prepared for trashing discs/pads/tyres. Its great driving it on the track but it doesn't feel like it would survive longer sessions without something breaking or going wrong.
      03-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #28
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
The M3 or the 135i? The N54 1er can eventually overheat at stock boost levels on the track during extended sessions. Happens faster if you up the boost. N55 I have heard is better off, but no first hand experience with that.

Sad to say, I started to mod my car after a handful of track days. Then lost the free time to do track days. LOL

Still enjoy my mods on the twisties though.
The 135i. My N54 can reach up to 285F in oil temp and high 220's in water temp during 20-25min sessions under stock boost. Surprisingly, the engine has not complained at these temperatures, and that's with about 80% distilled water and some water wetter.

On a side note, I've installed a small meth nozzle to keep the engine cool, but so far it doesn't seem to help as much as I hoped (maybe 5 degrees). I think it keeps the engine healthy so I run it sometimes, but it's really not necessary at stock boost.

I have not dared running higher boost on the track yet, but I can only imagine it will be limp mode city, not to mention the brakes won't be up to the task with the added speed into the corners.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #29
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

Goes really well, although needs much more camber. Outside front of the tyres get worn out fast and it tends to understeer due to the staggered setup.

Every time I go to the track I get some sort of issue. First time a water hose let go and the car overboosted. 2nd time a diverter valve popped off the charge pipe (my fault). Twice I have had fuel pressure codes when the tank is low (fuel pick up issue?). Car hasn't gone to limp due to overheating though. These cars will need quite a few mods/maintenance to get them reliable on the track. Either that or go back to the stock tune.

Be prepared for trashing discs/pads/tyres. Its great driving it on the track but it doesn't feel like it would survive longer sessions without something breaking or going wrong.
It's good to see other 1 series owners on the track.

I agree, I think 25-30min is probably the longest the 135i can go continuously on the track without proper modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

I think an LSD should be your next mod... you had some issues with traction there, buddy.
      03-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I think an LSD should be your next mod... you had some issues with traction there, buddy.
I have an M3 LSD on my garage floor waiting to be fitted. Can't wait!

The track was just resurfaced, normally grip is not an issue in the dry on that track. It was quite hard to break traction before the resurfacing, so slippery now.
      03-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #32
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have had my 135i to about 10 HPDE events now. Half of those are weekend events so call it 15 "days" of track time on the 135i. Stock suspension other than springs, and I have an LSD. Track pads and good fluid, and some power mods.

I experienced everything noted in this thread about body roll, tires getting chewed up in front, and limp mode. I have found success running a "stage 1" Cobb OTS Map, using stock oil cooler, and an upgraded intercooler, and using Redline 5w40 race oil, my oil temps don't go past 265.

That said, let me say that I ended up buying a boosted Miata in December to use for the track that's already prepped with seats, harnesses, 4-point welded bar, hardtop, suspension, etc. Now that I have a bigger turbo on my 135i, I'm really just making it a solid street car for summer.

The 135i is a pig and if you gut it so you're below 3000 pounds, well now you've ruined a perfectly good car simply because you picked the wrong track platform to begin with. also, the torque curve on a 135i engine is not suited for the track. It just isn't, no matter what anyone wants to say otherwise. Every time I'm on the back straight at RA which is over 1 mile long, I get frustrated because I wish the car had more at higher RPMs.

With driver mod, you can scrub less on the tires and as you get better at braking the 135i can be a fun car at the track, even without suspension mods. But the stock suspension on this car will rapidly get destroyed at the track. So if you care at all and want to continue to track your 135i, then the ridiculous amount of money you spend to make it perform basically "as well as" a stock e9x M3 via coilovers, M3 bits, and LSD, even then you still have to deal with a flat torque curve engine that doesn't make good power above 5400 rpm.

I've seen Mike Clemens take his 1-series M around Road america but that's a totally different beast, he has 4 custom oil coolers, and the car is gutted and fully caged. So it's not really a fair example in the 1 series arena from a tracking standpoint.

I also have a huge issue with the inability to run a good square tire setup on my 135i, without spending gobs of money.

almost nobody at Road America, Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman, or Autobahn CC is running 135i for the above reasons. I am almost always the only person there with one. If I was going to seriously track a 1 series, it would be a 128i all day.

In my experience it was a "fun" car at the track in that it stretches its legs well enough, but I am so done with that car on the track, other than BMW CCA's OctoberFAST at Road America.

I love the 135i and this is the 2nd one I've owned, but I personally just want to get more out of the track and I feel the 135i under delivers in too many ways to make it a competitive platform.
      03-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #33
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i_love_cars, that boosted Miata must be a ton of fun! I agree, it is ideal to have a dedicated track car, and the 135i is far from the best candidate to be one. In spite of this, I love it because it serves my needs perfectly as both a DD and track car. As with all things in life, there are of course compromises and with all things considered I really cannot complain because it is doing a great job for a dual purpose car.

I too would surely go Miata, S2000 or a different car if I wanted a competitive track car But I probably would never drive it nor enjoy it on the street, especially not on the streets of San Francisco!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #34
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Personally I think the #1 biggest problem the 1 series suffers from is the shorter chassis. For some reason IMHO it makes the car feel unstable and makes it wiggle all over the place... almost as if the rear end was disconnected from the chassis. I had M3 subframe bushings, some suspension work and it still happened excessively... it drove me nuts...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #35
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Personally I think the #1 biggest problem the 1 series suffers from is the shorter chassis. For some reason IMHO it makes the car feel unstable and makes it wiggle all over the place... almost as if the rear end was disconnected from the chassis. I had M3 subframe bushings, some suspension work and it still happened excessively... it drove me nuts...
That is strange. All the unpredictable wiggle in my car went away after installation of the rear M3 arms and the rear subframe bushings. However, there is some wiggle when I don't fully disable DSC/DTC and the computer tries to intervene. Therefore, I always track the car without the nannies.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #36
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Did you have M3 front wishbones and control arms? I haven't done it yet but hear the stiffer bushes on the M items really help the front from wiggling especially under hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #37
SchismX
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Nurburgring! Need I say more? Looking forward to this weather getting warmer and heading out again since I have done my suspension.
      03-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #38
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If anyone's interested, here's a video of my 135i on the track with the OE dampers/springs and no tune. It was a lot of fun chasing the Ferrari!

Mods at the time were M3 arms/bushings, Quaife LSD, Dinan plates, and RS3 tires.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...4#post19841464

Last edited by 1spirit; 04-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: revision
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #39
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

SchismX, so fortunate you are to have access to the Ring
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #40
geeyore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
By “race track”, I mean the physical surface of a circuit at a motorsports facility
Yeah, I get it. One of those twisty surfaces exceeding 2.0 miles with both left and right turns and striped kerbs. Those.

More than 15 days/year from HPDE 0 to HPDE 3, 1st in an under-torqued 128, last 2 in a sufficiently torquey 135.

With some good track time and quite a bit of WTF frustration in the corners, next week upgrading suspension, camber and soon diff.
2011 135i 6MT, Cobb FMIC, Stoptech ST-60, Pagid RS-29, Castrol SRF, Goodridge G-Stop, Apex EC-7, Dinan Front Sway, Ohlins R&T, Swift 400/500, Vorshlag Camber, M3 lowers & bits, Diffsonline 3.08 3-clutch, Sparco Ergo/Evo, Schroth Hybrid, RRT welded 4-point hoop
DD: BMW 328xiT Prior: 2000 323iT 5MT, 2000 Z3 2.3 5MT, 2001 325iT 5MT, 2009 128i 6MT
Appreciate 0