BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

OK so my n54 has The Bmw Perf Exhaust ( Including the resonator delete Y pipe), VRSF catless downpipes and it sounded decent, not to much drone watsoever, and barely any rasp. But then i went to remove the secondary cats to replace with straight pipes and now i have a terrible rasp at 1k-2k rpm, HORRIBLE SOUND loud and just plain bad. I did not think it would get that bad, im thinking of putting the stock resonator back on. Would this help? any suggestions that doesnt include putting the stock cats back on?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
OK so my n54 has The Bmw Perf Exhaust ( Including the resonator delete Y pipe), VRSF catless downpipes and it sounded decent, not to much drone watsoever, and barely any rasp. But then i went to remove the secondary cats to replace with straight pipes and now i have a terrible rasp at 1k-2k rpm, HORRIBLE SOUND loud and just plain bad. I did not think it would get that bad im thinking of putting the stock resonator back on. Would this help? any suggestions that doesnt include putting the stock cats back on?
I had the exact problem. I had to add a resonator where the Y pipe went.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Quote:
OK so my n54 has The Bmw Perf Exhaust ( Including the resonator delete Y pipe), VRSF catless downpipes and it sounded decent, not to much drone watsoever, and barely any rasp. But then i went to remove the secondary cats to replace with straight pipes and now i have a terrible rasp at 1k-2k rpm, HORRIBLE SOUND loud and just plain bad. I did not think it would get that bad im thinking of putting the stock resonator back on. Would this help? any suggestions that doesnt include putting the stock cats back on?
I had the exact problem. I had to add a resonator where the Y pipe went.
do you think the stock resonator im planning to add back on will remedy this?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
yes. put the resonator back on.

the general rule is that remove both your secondary cats AND resonator will cause drone. the resonator tunes your engine note to sound exotic and removes drone/rasp without having an impact on performance, while the secondary cats do limit performance so it's best to just remove the secondaries and leave the resonator in place. it will sound much better.

if there is still too much drone and rasp for you, you can grab two vibrant resonators and place them where the secondary cats used to be. it will sound good.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Quote:
yes. put the resonator back on.

the general rule is that remove both your secondary cats AND resonator will cause drone. the resonator tunes your engine note to sound exotic and removes drone/rasp without having an impact on performance, while the secondary cats do limit performance so it's best to just remove the secondaries and leave the resonator in place. it will sound much better.

if there is still too much drone and rasp for you, you can grab two vibrant resonators and place them where the secondary cats used to be. it will sound good.
thanks alot i went to put the resonator back on before reading this and came here to state that it did wonders. wow did i hate the sound without the resonator
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
thanks alot i went to put the resonator back on before reading this and came here to state that it did wonders. wow did i hate the sound without the resonator
agreed. I actually really prefer the sound with the resonator then without...

the res that BMW puts into their cars is very well designed.
Appreciate 0