BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #111
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

What do you mean?

Everybody with N55 was fearful at first that they wouldn't be able to make as much power as the N54 guys... boy was everyone wrong..

N55 is a torque BEAST!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN55 View Post
I just can't find the reason for N54/N55 neverending story. Again and again and again and... Why?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #112
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeslikeschnell View Post
What do you mean?

Everybody with N55 was fearful at first that they wouldn't be able to make as much power as the N54 guys... boy was everyone wrong..

N55 is a torque BEAST!!!!!!
Yea this is pretty much where I was coming from. After reading the numerous posts from N54 talking quite a bit of shit on the N55 I was pretty worried about my decision on buying the 2011. I am honestly quite pissed at most of those people for talking so much shit without really knowing anything. Here are just a couple of examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
stock.. n55 is better because it comes with the dct and a few improvements..

modded.. n54 because it has better potential..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Um I hear that the N55 was a cost cutting measure. It also apparently doesn't have the forged internals that the N54 has. Nuf said if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Looks like you answered your own question. I may be wrong but the way I understand it is, the N54 has more potential than the N55. The move to the N55 was prompted more by the need for better fuel efficiency than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
BMW evolved the N55 to be a 'greener' power plant. Less pollution and better mileage were the goals.
On top of that there has been so many posts about how the N54 is better because it is in the 1M. So yea I personally am glad to see in the first 6 months of research the N55 is getting pretty close to the numbers coming out of the N54 after 3 years worth of tuning research.

Funny enough after doing research non of the above posts are true...and in fact the reason why the 1M has the N54 motor in it is because at the time the M division started fine tuning the 135 for the 1M the N55 had not even been developed yet.
      04-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #113
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Excerpt from wiki N55 listing-"The preceding N54 was a twin-turbocharged straight-6 with direct injection technology that did not use Valvetronic, comparatively the N55 has less tuning potential but reduced emissions and fuel consumption in keeping with BMW's Efficient Dynamics initiative.[2]"
----------------------------
tell me where I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #114
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Oh snap somebody reference wiki...you know that thing is a holy grail of info b/c nobody can log in and type in whatever they want there...
      04-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #115
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Oh snap somebody reference wiki...you know that thing is a holy grail of info b/c nobody can log in and type in whatever they want there...
Guess you didnt read all the BMW news the last couple years. I quickly pulled a excerpt from wiki that came out of the mouth of BMW many times. Guess you weren't paying attention. Do a search on "BMW efficient dynamics" and learn what BMW says itself about the new N55 and other new power plants and why they they developed are are still doing so. Snap that!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/01/11/20...-liter-engine/

Last edited by NYC6; 04-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #116
Aries932
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Guess you didnt read all the BMW news the last couple years. I quickly pulled a excerpt from wiki that came out of the mouth of BMW many times. Guess you weren't paying attention. Do a search on "BMW efficient dynamics" and learn what BMW says itself about the new N55 and other new power plants and why they they developed are are still doing so. Snap that!
You are sadly mistaken...BMW would not talk about tuning potential of one of their cars and never has. In fact BMW has gone to great lengths and spent a lot of money to make sure that their cars are not able to be tuned.

Yes you are correct they were looking for more fuel efficiency and less emissions, but no where did they state that it had less tuning potential. The only people talking about tuning potential where referencing the fact that BMW stated it had tune proof DME.

Next you are incorrect for the fact that it does not have similar tuning potential...the N55 has only 6 months or so of tuning research and already it has caught up to the N54 in terms of tuning potential running less psi 1 - 2 less psi. Give it 2 1/2 years of more research and I promise you it will be at the same point as the N54 if not better.

Oh and the simple fact that you referenced Wiki just shows how bad the sources of your information are.
      04-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #117
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
You are sadly mistaken...BMW would not talk about tuning potential of one of their cars and never has. In fact BMW has gone to great lengths and spent a lot of money to make sure that their cars are not able to be tuned.

Yes you are correct they were looking for more fuel efficiency and less emissions, but no where did they state that it had less tuning potential. The only people talking about tuning potential where referencing the fact that BMW stated it had tune proof DME.

Next you are incorrect for the fact that it does not have similar tuning potential...the N55 has only 6 months or so of tuning research and already it has caught up to the N54 in terms of tuning potential running less psi 1 - 2 less psi. Give it 2 1/2 years of more research and I promise you it will be at the same point as the N54 if not better.

Oh and the simple fact that you referenced Wiki just shows how bad the sources of your information are.
The earler statement you said I was wrong about only stated that the new engine was developed for improved emissions and increased mileage. Which you now say they same thing you accused me being wrong about! They tuning issue just so happened to be part of the excerpt I quoted and has no bearing on what you said I was wrong about to begin with!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #118
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

increased fuel economy? nah, that's bullshit. i'm only getting 16.5 mpg... oh i forgot about my lead foot! hahaha.

anyway, seems like tuners are proving the speculations of the N55 wrong! it's PROVEN that the N55 can put down horsepower and a WICKED amount of torque!

C'mon 423wtq?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #119
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
increased fuel economy? nah, that's bullshit. i'm only getting 16.5 mpg... oh i forgot about my lead foot! hahaha.

anyway, seems like tuners are proving the speculations of the N55 wrong! it's PROVEN that the N55 can put down horsepower and a WICKED amount of torque!

C'mon 423wtq?
Its sad though that the DCT is not handling tunes very well. Glad I got the 6MT...

JIC CROSS || BMS || Agency Power || Falken Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #120
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Sounds pretty simple...

The N54 has had time to adapt and optimize. The N55 simply needed the time to adapt and optimize. It could end up a wash, and it could end up in one engine squeaking out the other, but it probably won't be by a wide margin. Whether one has better internals for bigger turbos than the other will probably be hard to say as well. They both seem to be doing what they should be doing. Who loses?

About the only thing that i've heard enough about to give pause is the DCT handling the upper end of the power potential.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #121
Aries932
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The earler statement you said I was wrong about only stated that the new engine was developed for improved emissions and increased mileage. Which you now say they same thing you accused me being wrong about! They tuning issue just so happened to be part of the excerpt I quoted and has no bearing on what you said I was wrong about to begin with!
We both know in that conversation you were stating that BMW's only purpose was to take the N54 and make it more fuel efficient and have improved emissions. In fact you were pointing out that fact to basically say that because they were going for improved emissions and fuel efficiency that the engine ended up being worse from a tuner's perspective...hence your statements like

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
"The simple fact that BMW put a forged crank in the N54 says it all"

"BMW puts a forged crank in the 54 and not in the 55,you have no answer. BMW puts the N54 in its two most recent hi-po series(335is&1M) and your reasoning is "they had a surplus, use em up"! You're clueless and in denial. "
      04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #122
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

You cant wiggle out of and you know your wrong period!
My statement that you quoted says exactly what you said in post #118. You're not man enough to admit when your wrong. The proof is right above in B&W.

And I stand by my other quote as well, as far as the forged crank goes. If you also think that they used "surplus" engines to get rid of inventory you are as naive as you are not man enough to admit you were dead wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #123
Aries932
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You cant wiggle out of and you know your wrong period!
My statement that you quoted says exactly what you said in post #118. You're not man enough to admit when your wrong. The proof is right above in B&W.

And I stand by my other quote as well, as far as the forged crank goes. If you also think that they used "surplus" engines to get rid of inventory you are as naive as you are not man enough to admit you were dead wrong.
I am kind of over these back and forths...they seem to ruin threads so this will be my last response to you...but the whole point of me posting is basically stating that people like you underestimated the N55.

I stated that you were wrong to say that the N55 was a weaker engine because BMW's main focus was on fuel efficiency and improved emissions...this you were wrong about proving now that the N55 actually has very similar tuning potential to the N54.

BMW's main focus with the N20 was on fuel efficiency and improved emissions, but somehow the engine came out with more power as well...funny how that works that they can come out with a new engine with their focus on similar things and have it perform much better. Just because they have a focus on certain aspects does not mean they slack off in the other aspects. If they did it would not be called a BMW.

As far as the surplus of engines I never said that and think that statement is ridiculous. The reason they used the N54 in the 1M was not because it was a better engine. That statement is even more ridiculous (keep in mind this is something that you stated).

The reason why they used the N54 in the 1M is that it usually takes the M division 3-5 years of research and development to come out with their M car. So basically the only engine at the time of them starting development was the N54...the N55 was still in production. So the M division did not have a choice between the engines because the N55 was still under development. It is pretty obvious when you this into account why the N54 is in the 1M.

Last edited by Aries932; 04-19-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #124
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am kind of over these back and forths...they seem to ruin threads so this will be my last response to you...but the whole point of me posting is basically stating that people like you underestimated the N55.

I stated that you were wrong to say that the N55 was a weaker engine because BMW's main focus was on fuel efficiency and improved emissions...this you were wrong about proving now that the N55 actually has very similar tuning potential to the N54.

As far as the surplus of engines I never said that and think that statement is ridiculous. The reason they used the N54 in the 1M was not because it was a better engine. That statement is even more ridiculous (keep in mind this is something that you stated).

The reason why they used the N54 in the 1M is that it usually takes the M division 3-5 years of research and development to come out with their M car. So basically the only engine at the time of them starting development was the N54...the N55 was still in production. So the M division did not have a choice between the engines because the N55 was still under development. It is pretty obvious when you this into account why the N54 is in the 1M.
Over these back and forths! You opened the can of worms again! WTF is wrong with you? You're a hypocrite of the 4th degree. Just like you relish in butting into threads telling others how they're behaving badly yet calling someone asshole is OK in your hypocritical world. yeah, I saw that thread.

Name me 1 F/I high perf sports car/coupe that utilizes a single turbo. Then take your time typing down all the others that do exist have have twins(or more!). All of them! Believe what you want, ostrich man.
And like prior to the release of the 335is and the 1M many N55 people said it will never have the N54. I'll bet you that the new M3 will have twins also and a forged crank.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #125
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Over these back and forths! You opened the can of worms again! WTF is wrong with you? You're a hypocrite of the 4th degree. Just like you relish in butting into threads telling others how they're behaving badly yet calling someone asshole is OK in your hypocritical world. yeah, I saw that thread.

Name me 1 F/I high perf sports car/coupe that utilizes a single turbo. Then take your time typing down all the others that do exist have have twins(or more!). All of them! Believe what you want, ostrich man.
And like prior to the release of the 335is and the 1M many N55 people said it will never have the N54. I'll bet you that the new M3 will have twins also and a forged crank.
Wow, I'm so honored that my car is considered a high performance sports car! I guess whoever thought our cars competed with the Evo or STI are complete idiots?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #126
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I'm so honored that my car is considered a high performance sports car! I guess whoever thought our cars competed with the Evo or STI are complete idiots?
The /coupe I clearly posted in this case obviously means sports coupe.
I tend to think the TT 335is and 1M sets its sights higher than the two you mentioned.
Might want to be careful throwing that idiot word around. It sometimes bounces back at those when you least expect it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #127
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

herp derp.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #128
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Balls
      04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #129
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Deep
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #130
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

any1 got the N55 power kit from BMW ?
      05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #131
Aries932
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman135 View Post
any1 got the N55 power kit from BMW ?
I dont think it is available is it?
      05-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #132
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
I dont think it is available is it?
I believe that it is available now. I saw something on one of the other threads.
Appreciate 0