BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When I posted about the hiden tuner codes... I was just reiterating what others have said before - here. I have no first hand knowledge since my car is BONE stock! I tried to search for the "hidden tuner codes" but I could not find them. I don't remember IF it was here or on the e80 board or N54.com I DO KNOW I did read them and it is real. Everyone can make up their own mind.

This would not be the first time BMW has done "clever" sneaky things. On the old e36 cars they stored true vehicle miles in ALL of the car's computers: engine ECU, ABS and A/T.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

After alllll your piggyback vs flash dilema , I talked with my upsolute dealer he offers 30 days test price $ 400 usd aprox , i will pay next week and give you my comments

The flash is via OBD II
      08-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Raffekt... I look forward to your thoughts on the UpSolute flash/tune. This tune sounds like a lot of bang for ones buck!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
No your wrong, The Dinan flash doesn't void warranty since it's provided by the dealership. Any flash, piggyback, or other non-factory modifications subject to your warranty being voided.

With a piggyback system it's just much easier to remove for those dealer visits.

YOU TELL WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH THAT FLASH OF YOURS BEFORE A VISIT TO THE SERVICE?

The same way you would clear your codes. BT SCANNER!
http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Do you think a flash won't throw any codes or something? Well it will I assure you. It's just much easier to deal with when you have a piggyback. You can remove the source of the problem right there and clear your codes with the BT Scanner.
I go in for service when I need to and there's not a problem. I've had issues with my aftermarket intercooler with them, not the flash.
The DINAN flash is warrantied by DINAN not the dealership, It just so happens that the DINAN rep works through the dealership. DINAN basically picks up what the dealrship won't cover.
      08-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When I posted about the hiden tuner codes... I was just reiterating what others have said before - here. I have no first hand knowledge since my car is BONE stock! I tried to search for the "hidden tuner codes" but I could not find them. I don't remember IF it was here or on the e80 board or N54.com I DO KNOW I did read them and it is real. Everyone can make up their own mind.

This would not be the first time BMW has done "clever" sneaky things. On the old e36 cars they stored true vehicle miles in ALL of the car's computers: engine ECU, ABS and A/T.
This is how these urban legends get started. Somebody makes an ill-informed assumption on a website, somebody else 'references' it and all of a sudden it's 'common knowledge.'

If someone were to take apart the ECU, they'd see where the memory is located and whether there is any other places to store the data. The BT folks have demonstrated that there is only one place the data is stored in the ECU and they delete that data.

Now, I'm not saying that some forensic computer programmer couldn't find a way to recover the data, but it isn't done at BMW dealers. And BMW dealers don't need the ECU data to tell that you've overboosted to fry a turbo, they can tell from the turbo teardown itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #28
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
... But then again just yesterday I was reading about a flash that turns OFF the ECL and no one knows it until they try to go thru an emissions test. When they look at the ECU for Lambda values and see the O2 senors are truned off... the car fails!
Dackelone, agreeing with Michifan's point that it's best to back up your contentions with evidence, can you post here where you read about a flash that turns off the ECL (?)/O2 sensors?

I find this highly unlikely - I doubt a modern engine could run well without an O2 sensor feed. A tuner would be nuts to ignore this data.

Wikipedia - Oxygen Sensor

You might be referring to the point below in the Wikipedia article, but this is only in "high load" conditions. You need to provide some context. I'd also like to know who the source was - an engineer at the tuning company or just someone posting in a forum.

"When an internal combustion engine is under high load (e.g. wide open throttle), the output of the oxygen sensor is ignored, and the ECU automatically enriches the mixture to protect the engine, as misfires under load are much more likely to cause damage. This is referred to an engine running in 'open-loop mode'. Any changes in the sensor output will be ignored in this state. In many cars (with the exception of some turbocharged models), inputs from the air flow meter are also ignored, as they might otherwise lower engine performance due to the mixture being too rich or too lean, and increase the risk of engine damage due to detonation if the mixture is too lean."

Last edited by plasar; 08-21-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
Dackelone, agreeing with Michifan's point that it's best to back up your contentions with evidence, can you post here where you read about a flash that turns off the ECL (?)/O2 sensors?

I find this highly unlikely - I doubt a modern engine could run well without an O2 sensor feed. A tuner would be nuts to ignore this data.

HERE you go doubters... read all about here on the M3 forum.....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...sh+turning+cel
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Dackelone, thanks very much for the thread link, you delivered! Vielen Dank!

Indeed, it seems that Powerchip customers can receive software that turns off the O2 sensors if they remove their catalytic converters. A post from a Powerchip employee:

Powerchip CEL/O2 Sensor Turned Off

"... At some point you got the 02 delete. We do not advertise anywhere that a cat delete car can pass emissions and I guarantee you no tuning company out there will sell you a tune guaranteeing a cat delete car will pass emissions..."

(BTW, CEL is Check Engine Light...)

And I think Mike@Powerchip implies that disabling the CEL for everything may have been discontinued due to customer feedback (and common sense!):

Disabled CEL

Why someone would remove cats is fodder for a whole other thread...

Last edited by plasar; 08-23-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Raffekt... Did you ever try this tune? Anyone? I would like to hear more about this flash.
Appreciate 0