BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

1M engine oil light query

Had a issue tonight on the way home hopefully you guys can shed some light on it.
Had my keys in my pocket, drove the car to the service station, got out, left the car running as there was another person in the car, was in the servo for roughly 5 minutes,no more, jumped back in and the end oil light came on. Checked the car status via the on board computer and the message of "less than 1 litre of oil left, fill up as soon as possible" (or something around those comments). Drove the car roughly another 5km's then the oil level was full again.
So, eventually now I will get to my query.
If the car does not have the key fob in its "range" then part of its "security feature" does it starve the engine of oil until it makes communication back with the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep

Hey mate,
Yeah got the big yellow key symbol with line through it, then "ding" check oil message.
Very weird, hopefully someone who has experienced with it has investigated it further & has a valid reason why it happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Happened twice to me. Were you idling on a slope? I was, figured the slope threw the sensor out. Wish there was a dipstick with the M cars.
      02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'm guessing you have a bad sensor.

Highly unlikely that it's due to car being on slope as the sensor is in the middle of a relatively small sump in the oil pan -- so it would take a severe incline for it to be reading almost empty.

In any case, I'd have it checked out sooner rather than later --and would not push the car hard -- since oil is the engine's life blood.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Was the warning RED or YELLOW ? IF it happens again I would snap a pic. Typically if you do a lot of short drives, this can cause water condensation to buildup in the oil and give the oil level sensor a bad reading. The only real way to check the oil level is drain the oil and measure how much comes out. I think a simple oil change is in order for your peace of mind. I know that is what I would do.

Also... a few years ago there was an update for the SW for early N54's. While I do not think your car has that problem... it is worth a read.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_oil_condition_sensor.pdf (82.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: pdf SI B 12 05 07 Low Oil Level Warning Message is Displayed.pdf (53.3 KB, 114 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Dack -

Good info and advice!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info and articles guys, appreciate it.
It has been raining quite hard and steadily in Sydney for the past couple of days and as i only live 7 km's from work the car does a lot of stop start driving.
The key fob warning light was yellow and the engine oil light was red. I checked the on board computer and it was in the red zone of the engine oil level. Checked it all again this morning and all was fine, oil level near the top.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
Happened twice to me. Were you idling on a slope? I was, figured the slope threw the sensor out. Wish there was a dipstick with the M cars.
+1, I left the car idling on a slope once and got the same thing. I shut the engine off, restarted and when the level was rechecked it was full.

OP, are you sure the message you saw said less than 1 quart left?? I don't believe there is such a message. If you are low, it will tell you to add 1 quart.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is no such message. I suspect it was asking for 1L top up. Oil level sensors on these often fault. Usually it will show 0 time calculation for oil service and you will be unable to check oil level when they completely fail.

If concerned a dealer will be able to check oil level more accurately on an ISID. It is imperative to be parked on level ground when checking oil level.

I think it was Ian who said, but if there was only 1l oil capacity left your engine life could definately be measured in minutes
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also, key has nothing to do with it. You can drive the vehicle as far as you like without the key, so long as you don't switch it off... Being in this situation is less than ideal lol.... I've been there.
Appreciate 0