BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Interesting comments. But, somewhere the topic changed to "street racing" like what might be similar to street racing in the movie "Fast and Furious".

My original intentions were nothing like that! Mostly just referring to the typical challenges and encounters we experience with a performance car in more real life situations. These types of situations happen in all 50 states, not just in California as one silly post suggested.

All-out racing belongs on the race track... of course. But red-light challenges and highway challenges happen everywhere else, every day. The real question is what 135i owners will do. Totally ignore all of it? Indulge once in a while? Depend on the situation?
      03-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #46
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post

Face it with our cars, we have nothing to gain by winning and a lot of face to loose by loosing.
Amen
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #47
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
Can you tell me a little about the legal racing (not drag) in So. Cal.? What's the cheapest option? Which is most fun? Which strikes a good balance? Thanks
I really like willow springs . I have been there 4 times twice as a
guess of SCION and twice on a open track days its about $200 a day.
http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp

I have also been to 2 SCCA like events that were sponsored by SCION. I plan on getting involved with SCCA. They have events ranging for $55-$100
http://www.solo2.com/

there are all kinds of open and semi open events at california speedway. don't know the cost.

http://www.californiaspeedway.com/

There are lots of other auto cross events out there just do a web search. SCCA I have been told is the best, but there are a lot of one offs out there.

I go to Irwindale for the 1/8 mile drag strip about 6 times a year. I have a supercharged Scion tC with about 220 hp that was built to kill Civics:biggrin:. Irwindale is open to the public evey Thursday night.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #48
Hortos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 / 2018 M240i

Give me a break

When I was younger back in maybe 99 2000 I went to the midnight underground races. We drove like computer asshats obeyed few laws. Interestingly I dont remember a single fatality. I do remember that the people there were older and driving performance cars. Fast forward to now and you see jackasses racing at highnoon in stock civics. We took risks at night amongst ourselves away from others the police broke that up and now look what you see. I learned my respect for speed sitting on my dad's lap when I put his Porsche into a slide with some untimely wheel turning at maybe the age of 6. I'll edit this post because I'm on my iphone headed to lunch so it probaly looks bad
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #49
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

We have organized (but illegal) street racing in the DC area. These events were held in the early morning hours and attract a bunch of by-standers. There was a recent tragedy, and you can probably find it by searching Street racing indian Head highway -- ultimate toll was 8 people killed. (Neither of the racers, who made their escape.) Definitely trying to emulate fast and furious behaviour. More appalling was that there was a woman there with her small child and her father.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/18/AR2008021801788.html

My son's best friend was killed in January in a single car incident. This is not to imply that everyone who engages in the stop light grand prix is going to engage in this type of behaviour. People have pulled along side of me and flashed a roll of bills and tried to engage me in street races. This not to say that I have never engaged in stupid behaviour.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #50
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
I'm in SO. Cal, so with Irwindale , Fontana, Willow Springs, and countless autocross events I will only be racing legally. Get caught racing in CA and you lose your car and you are putting innocent bystanders at risk. Someone gets killed (even if its not you fault) and you are in a race and you can lose everything. Street racing is stupid and dangerous
Yup. I can't live with myself if someone gets hurt because my ego is too big or just being careless and selfish.
      03-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
gmund1948
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335 cab,C-6 08, 73 911E 59 D,

Downright madness

Living in Germany has taught me that street racing is as foolish
as it gets, I have seen it all and been on some of the best tracks in the world,

I watched as a 28 year old woman became a single mother when
pregnant after an young man took his Turbocharged Acura through
a building after a street race due to brake failure , Boy survived Man died,
Child born without a father end of story.

A Friend in the States is the DA and trying to fry the boy

Tell me what drivers training credentials you have, other than
your state drivers license, which an Illegal Alien can get.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #52
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'd like to nominate this thread for "worst poll ever."
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #53
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
I'd like to nominate this thread for "worst poll ever."
I'd say it's tied with worst poll ever, since it is not a poll. :iono: :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #54
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I never get over 100 on the road when there is anyone else nearby.

As for street racing, a quick 0-60 blast from a light isn't a big deal, IMO. It's when people start getting into the triple digits with someone else that there's a danger factor. Obviously this depends on the conditions, but on an empty road, running through 2 or 3 gears with from a stoplight isn't a big deal

Personally, I didn't buy a quick car to street race. I bought it because I enjoy performance driving. Handling, braking, and fun to drive are much bigger factors than straight line speed.

The car isn't even that quick stock... if all I wanted was to burn people off the light, I'd pick up a Fox body Mustang, or an F Body.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #55
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Lighten up people...We are talking about friendly little interactions at redlights not clandestine street racing. Jeez, e-nuff with all the drama. YOMV
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #56
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Is it a bad thread when members have passionate views? I don't think so. Since when is a sensitive topic off-limits? I am disappointed in the few that don't see the positive opportunity here to address what is an important situation.

This thread has brought to focus an important point about responsible ownership of a fast and powerful car, the 135i. By raising the issue, it doesn't in any way mean that I support any type of crazy life-threatening behavior. It also doesn't mean thst I will pretend that I have always been the perfect driver

There have been lots of posts in MANY different threads on this website showing incredible speed accomplishments, and videos of street drifting and donuts and racing. Lots of remarks about taking the 135i at, near, and over 100 mph. These threads are loaded with all kinds of stuff like that, cheering about the power of this car and how fast it is. So many of the test drives, although not all, have been on public roads... Not on the race track. Some of those test drives included some very fast driving.

No one here should be pointing a finger at anyone else. There have been thread discussions about radar detectors. Why do you think? It's about speeding, of course.

This thread raises a lot of important questions about what is acceptable driving practices on public roads. A few may not like it, but it has been very interesting to me so far. VERY interesting. And being honest with ourselves and each other about this topic has been a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, as a few may have suggested.
      03-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #57
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

DUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
^thats all good and well as long as you realize the 135 is NOT one of those cars you will "kick" with a civic si...but you will be enjoying that soon enough when you get it I'm sure!
And you don't think I know this?

I am just saying how fun it is.

OH well, no need to ruin this thread. No harm done.

I am 46 not 16. The Civic Si is a 1.5 year temp.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #58
sciamop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi Convertible

A friend of mine had a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution -- he sold it because he got sick of every retard in the universe 'revving' on him at stoplights.

I'm hoping the 1er flies under the radar in this respect.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #59
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I think a few traffic light grandprixs might be on the cards... I need to blow away a few S3s, R32s, 130s and a few 335s
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #60
dixon1763
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

That you would explore the notion of "racing" on the street shows that you have no idea what racing really is. It is done legally, on a racetrack, under controlled conditions where risk can be managed. It is not done in a situation where you expose others to risk -- on public roads.

Most of the halfwits who talk about street racing can't drive and would have their a$$es handed to them on a real racetrack.

If think you can't afford to drive on a racetrack AND you are buying a 135i, you are ignorant of the less expensive forms of racing and coming up with excuses for your selfish desire to endanger others by driving near your limit of control (which is likely below the limit of what the car can do if driven properly).

Try go-karting. Karts, especially 125 shifters, are higher performance than many racecars. And street cars do not come close to comparing. They are relatively inexpensive to buy and a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #61
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Well, looks like what was a very active and spirited thread has now been moved and "buried" by the powers that be. Shame.
      03-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #62
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

The mods moved a thread with "race" in the title to the track/autocross/dragstrip/performance driving forum. How is that burying the thread?

Oh, I see why you would be confused by that action...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #63
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Hell - I'll bump it to keep it spirited. ; -)

This is good stuff, as long as it doesn't get into name calling and snotty attitudes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #64
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Hell - I'll bump it to keep it spirited. ; -)

This is good stuff, as long as it doesn't get into name calling and snotty attitudes.
You are the "cool one"! Yeah, it is good stuff, indeed!

Any chance of getting the "view" and "reply"" numbers to show? Otherwise the thread looks dead... that's what I was trying to point out. Thanks if you can restore it!
      03-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #65
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

FWIW, when I look at it, it shows 63 replies and about 1,000 views. Hmmm, don't know why that wouldn't be available for all to see - but then I see that in its new forum not in the old 'moved from' location.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #66
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
FWIW, when I look at it, it shows 63 replies and about 1,000 views. Hmmm, don't know why that wouldn't be available for all to see - but then I see that in its new forum not in the old 'moved from' location.
Yeah, exactly! How 'bout it goes back to the "general" location again?

BTW, there's another brand new thread "first drive, first race" Shouldn't that be part of this thread?