BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #23
KerryE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

more mods

Phillip,

I am going to stick with the 135 longer, I look forward to seeing what she will do. Plus, with this economy I think prices will start falling on the GT3. I am doing the MSR event right after
Thanksgiving and hope to get the new Dinan camber plates in and dial out some of the camber in the rears. This should help the car turn better. Still cleaning the rubber off the front of my car from TWS. If anybody lives within 300 miles of TWS, this has to be the funnest track I have ever driven clockwise, would be really cool to get out 4 or 5 135's next time.

I cannot imagine going off in turns 8-9, pretty high speed and not a spot you would think this could happen, does it not fall off there?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

There is some nasty stuff hidden in the grass in that area. I hit the brakes hard to slow quickly and spun 360. Better than cracking an oil pan like my off in turn-6 four years ago. There is also that section of yellow paint that acts like a rumble strip, but without the "rumble". Not as much traction on the painted area. That is essentially where I lost traction.

Before you get the dinan camber plates, find out if they are adjustable and what is the max camber possible. I think Dinan sells a plate that is not adjustable. I like the vorshlag plates I have. And once you dial in more negative camber, you could easily fit a 10mm spacer in the front to push the tire closer to the edge of the fender and increase your front track, further reducing understeer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #25
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryE View Post
just took the car out for a hard test drive, checking everything out for tomorrow and the car was awesome. Very predictable, understeered in turns and then would oversteer on exit, but, very predictable. This only ocurrs when really pushed hard. Smelled the clutch when I stopped, has this happened to anybody else?

Kerry

Does the BMW PS understeer as badly as the stock set-up?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #26
KerryE
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes, I would leave my car stock if I was you, big waste of money. I am really disapointed in Dinan and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #27
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

So this is essentially the only negative review I have read so far about the bmw ps. Are you unhappy with the ps as a track setup, or as a street setup, so essentially what are you expecting it to be? I'm looking for the perfect street setup for this car-that is also somewhat track-ready for the occasional run. What are the good and bad points of the suspension for you?
      12-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #28
KerryE
Enlisted Member
Rep

it is excellent for the street, but, as a track setup, no way. I went the wrong direction. Just did another event today at Harris Hill Raceway and the car actually did good. Still understeered, but, everybody was commenting on how fast the car was. The only car faster was a GT3 with Hoosiers. So, for street, probably the way to go, track, need more adjustability, I only have 55 minutes of camber, need at least 120 minutes and Dinan is not adjustable. I was trying to stay all BMW and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #29
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Is there at least less understeer than the stock suspension?
      12-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #30
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

The E9x M3 front suspension bits should add more negative camber.
      12-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #31
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i just read 8.5 hours to install bmw performance suspension!? i thought it was just springs and shocks? what takes so long or is this just a typo?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #32
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This has got to be one of the vague-est reviews I have ever read. First you say its not worth the money, then you say its awesome, then you say its not worth the money again.

And you have never smelled a burning clutch before? Have you never driven a car hard?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #33
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove View Post
This has got to be one of the vague-est reviews I have ever read. First you say its not worth the money, then you say its awesome, then you say its not worth the money again.

And you have never smelled a burning clutch before? Have you never driven a car hard?
lets keep it good-natured and gramatically correct...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #34
KerryE
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, I know I was all over the place on my suspension review, sorry about that. I have tracked my car 3 times in the last 5 weeks and know the car well now.

The BMW sport suspension is probably good for the street, but, not near stiff enough for the track. The Dinan camber plates do not add enough - camber to dial out the under steer, but, maybe ok for the street. I do not think these products are made for the street, therefore, I say they do not perform like they should and if you really want to improve your handling go to a aftermarket(non BMW) adjustable setup.

I have gone through 2 sets of front tires(Re01r's and Dunlops), new rotors(overheated and warped), and brake pads. My car has 2200 miles on it and about 1000 of these are easy miles driving it to the track. So that should tell you that the car is being pushed hard. I was smelling the clutch when driving it on the street, not the track and that was why I was concerned. I fellow forum member said give it a few hundred miles for break in and they were right, it settled in and no more clutch smell. Maybe alittle on the track, but, mainly the typical brake and motor smell.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #35
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Kerry, which track were you on when you warped your rotors and what pads were you using? Sorry you've had so much trouble. I've not tracked my car since TWS. I'm considering a spring event next.

Philip
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #36
KerryE
Enlisted Member
Rep

Philip,

I warped the rotors at MSR Cresson, plan on buying the drilled rotors and putting on aftemarket pads. This has actually been the only problem with the car, I plan on keeping it and tracking it alot. Most people are really impressed with the car and it seems like every session I am giving someone a ride. It still understeers in slow and medium speed turns, but, is somewhat neutral in the high speed turns and stops well. The Dinan upgrade gives it just enough H.P. to keep it fun. I know with the kids is hard to get away, but, I am doing the TWS in January and would love to see you out.

I did buy a 2009 Carrera S with PDK. I had a hard time between it and the GT3, especially since the prices have substantially dropped on the GT3, but, the transmission sold me on the 09. It is really neat, keeps the car in the right RPM range and you can totally focus. Hope to see you out soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #37
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

TWS in Jan is out. I have a biz trip from Sunday - Wednesday. Perhaps MSR in Feb. I'd love to go for a ride in the Carrera.
Appreciate 0