BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Exclamation Log for acknowledged/known 1M issues

This thread serves the purpose of logging acknowledged/known 1M issues. Neither innuendo nor speculation, but clinic description of supposedly "common" issues addressed by BMW under warranty (free of charge).

Further to a sound suggestion, the log also includes normal phenomena which (wrongly) might be perceived as an issue.

For some consistency, let us agree that, to make it to the list, at least three similar events must have been reported. Hence, feel free to suggest and correct.

This post will be updated whenever additional issues and corrections are reported.
  • issue #11: heavy steering in low revs (especially after a hard drive)
    cause: power steering pump failure (metal shavings ["swarf"] inside the power steering pump)
    action: replacement of the power steering pump or even more steering parts if need be (a forum fellow reported that the phenomenon occurred to his 1M after a dyno - it was remedied by simply switching off the car for a few minutes)
    part #: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...37&hg=32&fg=15 (power steering pump)
    thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850396

Last edited by Artemis; 02-07-2016 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      10-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Very good thread imo. My suggestion in addition to the ones you already mentioned: Charge pipe popping/cracking which is a repeated issue.

A comment on car theft vulnerability: there are some reports that this might be more of a rhd markets poroblem due to the fact that blind spot in alarm system affects rhd cars. Of course, the real OBD issue remains the same for both rhd and lhd cars.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

+1 on the Charge pipe popping/cracking issue!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Oh remembered another one: the top speed governor (250 km/h) seems to be malfunctioning in most if not all 1Ms! Mine appears to be completely broken

I hope BMW does not resolve this one though.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Oh remembered another one: the top speed governor (250 km/h) seems to be malfunctioning in most if not all 1Ms! Mine appears to be completely broken

Its not broken. I think BMW actually sets the speed limiter to 261 kph (for all M cars). And since we know the speedo shows plus 5% that would account for the 274 kph that most 1M's say they have seen/driven.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its not broken. I think BMW actually sets the speed limiter to 261 kph (for all M cars). And since we know the speedo shows plus 5% that would account for the 274 kph that most 1M's say they have seen/driven.
God that was about when my wife made me back off! OK, I am gonna check that one too whenever conditions come together By the way, another 1M owner from Chile (prefer not to give his username) claimed he topped a bit over 290 km/h on the speedo in his stock car. This makes around 280 km/h as real (read: just drag limited) top speed, if the claim is true.

Another note before completing the hijacking of this fine thread (sorry Artemis just scientific chat) is some German tuners charge you a bit to delimit your 1M as a stage 0.1 category tune and claim the unlimited car goes 280 km/h. For instance, Alpha N web site has that option among their various stages of tune. Maybe not in Germany but I believe at least for some markets there is no top speed regulator in stock 1Ms at all. Truck drag already holds you safe up there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
God that was about when my wife made me back off! OK, I am gonna check that one too whenever conditions come together By the way, another 1M owner from Chile (prefer not to give his username) claimed he topped a bit over 290 km/h on the speedo in his stock car. This makes around 280 km/h as real (read: just drag limited) top speed, if the claim is true.

Another note before completing the hijacking of this fine thread (sorry Artemis just scientific chat) is some German tuners charge you a bit to delimit your 1M as a stage 0.1 category tune and claim the unlimited car goes 280 km/h. For instance, Alpha N web site has that option among their various stages of tune. Maybe not in Germany but I believe at least for some markets there is no top speed regulator in stock 1Ms at all. Truck drag already holds you safe up there.

+1. Yes, I really hate to have this fine thread go off on a V-Max tangent. But here are my thoughts on this subject, then we can get back on track. Many tuners over here offer just the SW to take of the speed limiter from customer cars. Many charge upwards of 1K euros for that. A tune will run you more over here(1.5K euros plus).

I know for my German tuned 135i(US specs), I have seen speeds as high as 283 kph via my GPS(Navi). The speedo was pegged. And... I think my car will go faster... I just have not found an empty enough Autobahn. Stock the speedo said I was doing 250 kph while the same GPS said I was only driving at 240 kph!

The funny thing with driving (really) fast is people are not use to driving that fast. And to be honest some just do not remember how fast they were really going. I know I have run into many a M3 (e9x)owner who say there M3 will do 186 mph, and I tell them BS. Then I asked them how accurate their speedo is and they have no idea. BMW speedo's will read at least +5%. You really need a GPS and an empty autobahn.

Also... unless you have an Autobahn in your back yard... you are just not going to see these kinds of speeds. I guess I am spoiled by having unrestricted autobahns in my backyard. You can drive as fast as you want. Here is a question... I have gone WOT for so long, that all the vacuum is depleted in my HVAC and the vents default to the defrost while driving V-Max. I bet not many people know that will happen. I think you must drive longer than 30 seconds at V-max for that to occur. As soon as you lift off and generate some vacuum, the center air vents will work again.

And the other problem is the hood of our 1er's gets really scary at speed. The front edges start to peel up a few inches after 240 kph and up. I know I was talking to a guy who works at BMW AG... he has a friend who works at M GmbH... he told me his friend said that was the main reason why ///M will not make a "drivers package" (speed limiter bump up to 280 kph) like they do for the M3's and M5'/M6's. He said that the hood on the 1M could open at very high speeds. So that is why 250 kph is it from ///M. Btw the F20 have TWO places where the hood latches - so this problem has been "fixed" for the new M2.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I know there's been some HPFP's replaced on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

When I suggested "charge pipe" I was also thinking about HPFP issue but decided not to suggest it because there were much less reported HPFP issues with 1Ms, I recall 2 or 3 cases mentioned in this Forum. Charge pipe on the other hand is a very common issue and it seems to be it is a question of "when" rather than "if" it will crack/pop or not. Blame goes to higher boost 1M engine map plus the overboost function combined with a bad design and material. So, I personally am still undecided about the HPFP being classified as a common 1M issue. What you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

Quote:

Jajajaja, I know the feeling. Took the car out on the Panamericana Sur for some top speed action and hit 270-280Km/H range.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Thanks guys. I just updated the initial post with new entries. Feel free to suggest and/or correct.

And about speeding: don't push it too hard, guys. Keep it safe. The 1M is a nimble car - it gets a little too eerie/awkward for my taste and well-being when exceeding 240 km/h. Imagine for a second you're on the Autobahn pushing around 260 km/h and then stuff happens as shown in the videos below. Oops, there it goes...

Name:  DrivingTooFast.jpg
Views: 18325
Size:  104.6 KB

Check @ 1:37:

Check @ 0:09:
      10-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Thanks for the great work, Artémis ! And to all: be careful indeed. One of my colleagues had a tire burst on the highway recently. Scary stuff. Imagine if you get that past 250 ...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
+1. Yes, I really hate to have this fine thread go off on a V-Max tangent. But here are my thoughts on this subject, then we can get back on track. Many tuners over here offer just the SW to take of the speed limiter from customer cars. Many charge upwards of 1K euros for that. A tune will run you more over here(1.5K euros plus).

I know for my German tuned 135i(US specs), I have seen speeds as high as 283 kph via my GPS(Navi). The speedo was pegged. And... I think my car will go faster... I just have not found an empty enough Autobahn. Stock the speedo said I was doing 250 kph while the same GPS said I was only driving at 240 kph!

The funny thing with driving (really) fast is people are not use to driving that fast. And to be honest some just do not remember how fast they were really going. I know I have run into many a M3 (e9x)owner who say there M3 will do 186 mph, and I tell them BS. Then I asked them how accurate their speedo is and they have no idea. BMW speedo's will read at least +5%. You really need a GPS and an empty autobahn.

Also... unless you have an Autobahn in your back yard... you are just not going to see these kinds of speeds. I guess I am spoiled by having unrestricted autobahns in my backyard. You can drive as fast as you want. Here is a question... I have gone WOT for so long, that all the vacuum is depleted in my HVAC and the vents default to the defrost while driving V-Max. I bet not many people know that will happen. I think you must drive longer than 30 seconds at V-max for that to occur. As soon as you lift off and generate some vacuum, the center air vents will work again.

And the other problem is the hood of our 1er's gets really scary at speed. The front edges start to peel up a few inches after 240 kph and up. I know I was talking to a guy who works at BMW AG... he has a friend who works at M GmbH... he told me his friend said that was the main reason why ///M will not make a "drivers package" (speed limiter bump up to 280 kph) like they do for the M3's and M5'/M6's. He said that the hood on the 1M could open at very high speeds. So that is why 250 kph is it from ///M. Btw the F20 have TWO places where the hood latches - so this problem has been "fixed" for the new M2.

Dack
Great sticky!!!

Dackel - are there any thoughts on a patch for this? It's unlikely I will reach these speeds, but my Teutonic DNA makes me cringe that the possibility of a hood launch wasn't addressed.
      10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Great sticky!!!

Dackel - are there any thoughts on a patch for this? It's unlikely I will reach these speeds, but my Teutonic DNA makes me cringe that the possibility of a hood launch wasn't addressed.
The 1M (and 135i) hood is just fine bellow 280 kph V-Max speeds. That is why BMW M will not offer a higher speed limiter aka "driver's package" for the 1M. At least that is the "story" I heard.

No one is really gonna be seeing those kinds of speeds - except for maybe a few car nuts over here. Like me. And my hood has been holding up just fine above 280 kph on my "tuned" 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
It's not broken. I think BMW actually sets the speed limiter to 261 kph (for all M cars). And since we know the speedo shows plus 5% that would account for the 274 kph that most 1M's say they have seen/driven.
October 2010, when some journalists had driven the 1M test mule: "BMW claims that this 3308-pound machine will sprint from 0 to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds. Top speed will be governed to 155 mph, but there will be an option to raise Vmax to 168 mph, as with other M cars." Later, BMW seems to have muzzled 1M performance information in official figures releases (no trespassing on the M3 territory: "BMW engineers and execs have been quoted several times saying things like «it won't step on the M3's toes»") (source: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ne-Impressions). Back in those days, they also indicated that a CF roof would be optional - too bad it didn't make it to the final version.

Here's what Belgian forum fellow M3Power79 registered with his stock 1M:
Name:  1M_Acceleration.jpg
Views: 17842
Size:  44.3 KB
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1)
      11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
October 2010, when some journalists had driven the 1M test mule: "BMW claims that this 3308-pound machine will sprint from 0 to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds. Top speed will be governed to 155 mph, but there will be an option to raise Vmax to 168 mph, as with other M cars." Later, BMW seems to have muzzled 1M performance information in official figures releases (no trespassing on the M3 territory: "BMW engineers and execs have been quoted several times saying things like «it won't step on the M3's toes»") (source: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ne-Impressions). Back in those days, they also indicated that a CF roof would be optional - too bad it didn't make it to the final version.

Here's what Belgian forum fellow M3Power79 registered with his stock 1M:
Attachment 775722
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1)

^^That photo only shows acceleration not top speed.

Like I said... I think ALL ///M cars are limited to 261 kph.(true vehicle speed, GPS measured)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
DrShimmy
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M Coupe VO!

I thought the 1M was restricted at 250 kph. I was pleasantly surprised when the speedometer hit 270 kph.

I am feeling paranoid about the performance of the car. I feel I am getting some gear change issues changing from first to second gear or the car has lost some power. My car technical know how is pretty minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShimmy View Post
I am feeling paranoid about the performance of the car. I feel I am getting some gear change issues changing from first to second gear or the car has lost some power. My car technical know how is pretty minimal.
Check if the clutch of your 1M is slipping: see http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763957
      11-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
...; availability of the OBD fix/patch for the 1M (upon request): late 2012; ...
Hi Artemis, what is your reference for this date, first time I see it?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Hi Artemis, what is your reference for this date, first time I see it?
"Now [September 13, 2012] there is an official fix. It's already being rolled-out for the X5 and X6: for other models, the re-flash will be available in around eight weeks time. For many people, that’s too long a wait, but that’s what BMW is offering."
(http://www.pistonheads.com/news/26357.htm)
"BMW has been working on a software upgrade to cars which will eradicate the problem for some months, and it’s now [September 14, 2012] available to owners of affected X5 and X6 models. The upgrade will be available for other cars in around eight weeks' time."
(http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/602...-hi-tech-theft)
"Now [September 18, 2012] AutoExpress UK reports that BMW is offering a fix for BMWs built between 2007 and September 2011. The software upgrade will be rolled out to owners of affected X5 and X6 models. A general software upgrade will be available in the next two months."
(http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/09/18/bm...-hi-tech-theft)

Mid September 2012 + eight weeks or two months = mid November 2012.

On November 13, 2012 an owner of a 2008 E93 M3 DCT quoted from the PuMA released on "6/11/12" [November 6, 2012 or June 11, 2012 ?] (http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpo...03&postcount=1).

Subsequently, someone posted a copy of the PuMA of the "convenience opening" or "comfort opening convenience" modification on http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1352550757.

However, unsure whether this measure is only a temporary one or whether this is definitely the rumored "OBD security fix" including the full reflash of the BIOS (firmware).

Anyways, some other 3er owners reported from November 15, 2012 onwards that the OBD security fix is indeed available now (at least for their cars):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post12997591
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...BMW+keys&mid=0

So things seem to be moving recently. If anyone has news about the OBD security fix for the 1M, feel free to share it.

Last edited by Artemis; 11-22-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Great news for you 1M guys!! Thanks for posting this Luc.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Great thread idea! I would add the loud windshield thud on passenger side also found on other 1series. It might not hurt to also put common characteristic concerns that are actually 'normal' to ease some people's anxiety, like normal LSD and clutch sounds...???