BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
psamtik
Involuntarily BMW
Rep
Drives: 09 E82 135i

Would this cause coolant leaking / coolant low?

I left my radiator cap not fully tightened to the click. Not sure exactly how long it's been like that, but I replaced my water pump last September, and I assume the cap has not been touched since I filled the thing up then.

Would spirited driving, over the course of 6-7 months, evaporate enough coolant through a cap to cause low coolant? With the cap not fully tightened, it obviously won't hold the pressure as well, so I assume more fluid would be prone to evaporating and boiling out.

Only reason I'm asking now is because I got the low coolant light this morning (topped it up) and I'm going to the track this weekend. I haven't seen any evidence of further leaking just yet, but it might be a slow drip elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I think it's pretty common for these engines to consume coolant over time. I know that I have to top mine up every oil change. I've never found any obvious leaks. I wouldn't be too concerned especially since your cap was not totally tight. I carry a small bottle of coolant in the trunk just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Hopefully when the water pump was changed out you did the bleed cycle. You may want to redo the cycle again for peace of mind and to just insure the wp is humming like it should.

or do a pressure test for leaks...
Appreciate 0