E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Member of BMWCCA - Important Voting Info

01-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #23
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

ward said in part, "...an internet chapter spread all over the country would be useless."

__________________________________________________ __
Not quite correct. Internet groups have been helpful to CCA and vice versa. I support the idea of inviting them into the fold under the rules as proposed. I have been a CCA member snice 1984 and have seen the club grow and become stronger because of leadership willing to think outsided the box. If Ward were correct about the localized appeal of regional chapters, O'fest and Gateway Tech (couple examples) wouldn't be working. I have made friends through BMW CCA, RA and a couple internet tech groups from across the country.

Question? What is wrong with allowing virtual chapters? Please only respond if you are a club member.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #24
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
I believe they gain most of their funding through events, not the membership dues. Membership dues go directly to BMWCCA. I'm not 100% certain though.
Sorry, but not correct. BMW CCA shares dues with chapters although I don't recall the percentage. Most chapter events are break even.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #25
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Sorry, but not correct. BMW CCA shares dues with chapters although I don't recall the percentage. Most chapter events are break even.
Question, why would it be necessary to be a member of BMWCCA in order to be a registered member of E90post in the event that a forum such as E90post were to become a virtual chapter?
      01-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #26
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Question, why would it be necessary to be a member of BMWCCA in order to be a registered member of E90post in the event that a forum such as E90post were to become a virtual chapter?

you don't get the benefits of chapter membership without paying,
if you could then why would people fork over cash to be in the CCA (except for the car rebate)

you can't charge some people, and then give other people the same thing for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
you don't get the benefits of chapter membership without paying,
if you could then why would people fork over cash to be in the CCA (except for the car rebate)

you can't charge some people, and then give other people the same thing for free.
The only "benefit" someone only joining the E90post are getting is the usage of the forum. What other benefits would they be receiving? Even regular regional chapters has forums that ANYONE can use. They don't have to register, they can post as guests. Even non-members in the local chapter events (I wouldn't know about NY, but at least the Golden Gate Chap and LA Chap events I've been to) are welcomed and encourage to join up.

The national BMWCCA benefits that I can "see" are rebates and the magazine. Usual local chapter benefits that I see are newsletters, chapter magazine, and the occasional local meetings, thats about it. My question is, since people "joining" E90post simply gets access to the forum, why would it be not possible for the forum posting capability itself be seperated from the rest of the "virtual" chapter benefits?

On another note, anyone from so cali area wants to go to the driving school held up in buttonwillow mid Feb? Its sat and sunday of the 17th I think. I'm probably going to sign up this week.
- oh ya, this is a San Diego chapter event, held up in the location of the SB chapter, while me, as a member of the LA Chapter will be attending. I don't see why geographic limitation must be imposed.
      01-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #28
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

hopefully any signifigant others are OK with people heading to a driving school sat and sun of valentines day weekend!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #29
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have to agree that while the idea of non-geographic chapters is interesting to explore, it is not immediately clear that it provides any benefit over the existing system.

While I'm sorry to hear the sad state of affairs down in the LA/SoCal chapter, I have to say that the chapter I'm a part of, the Puget Sound Region, as well as the neighboring ones in Oregon, Spokane, and British Columbia Canada are more active than I would have expected even.

The PSR chapter has several track days, car control clinics and even an instructor training day scheduled for this year. We also have an amazing tour coordinator that schedules awesome driving tour runs throughout the beautiful surrounding Pacific Northwest areas. I'm quite pleased about the state of affairs up here.

So really maybe the issue is that some folks here should have been running for the board of their local chapters and helping to spruce things up there. They could have used the help of and included any E90Post members in their area and also gotten to know some other Bimmerheads. After all, we're not only E90 lovers are we?

I will need to read the ballot in detail before I decide how I vote but it seems to me that this is not an easy fix, "press this button and your poorly run CCA chapter will turn from a pumpkin to a carriage".