BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should BMW call it an M1?
Yes, call it an M1 332 66.80%
No, absolutely not 165 33.20%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

01-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #133
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

^^ Good insight.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #134
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
You guys are so insecure. LMAO. You feel personally threatened that BMW has decided to give ///M division treatment to the 1 series. To you, this really isn't an argument about the original M1, or BMW tradition, or the logical nomenclature, it's about your ego, which is firmly attached to your car. How old are you? Why does the prospect of an ///M1 make you so irritated, really? Because your argument is about you. Not BMW's history. You have no stake in BMW's history. But with your manhood wrapped up in what you drive, you feel threatened by what you perceive to be a lesser model getting an ///M badge. Weak.

If this is an M-car, and BMW hobbles it with a non-M name, that would make no sense at all, and will only serve to perpetuate the image that some of you guys want this car to have.... "lesser than" so you can feel "more than"

Yes I'm a 1 series owner. And a current Porsche, MB, Lotus & Honda owner. Plus a non street-legal open-cockpit sports racer. (They're all paid for in cash, and they don't belong to my parents or siblings. I know that will resonate with kids like you) I don't consider a car's image, it's not relevant to my happiness. I just drive what I like. And I'd like an ///M1.

This^^ x10

I am a BMW enthusiast, period!

Wavering, I voted on //M1, because nothing other than BMW just paid homage to the original's death. It a part of OLD history now. It's time for BMW to unify the //M moniker. Even hard-core traditionalists understand this.

I have no use for an M3, but would absolutely kill for an M1. To me, the current M3 is piggish, so I took my deposit back...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #135
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
funny we all are on board w/ M1 name now that we are perspective owners
bahhh hahahaha.... funny!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #136
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I appreciate the posts showing articles explaining the original M1. I bought a e88 because I wanted a convertible and when I found out I could have a BMW for not much more than the price of a mustang, I knew enough to know that is a good deal. I had driven a Bavaria that a friend owned years ago and knew a little about BMWs before my purchase but not nearly what a lot of you guys know. I've had my 1 less than 6 months and driven in one autocross so far - so I want the sportiness but I don't know if that qualifies me as an enthusiast or not, but I don't think my interest was strictly in an upscale label. But I did want a bit of luxury too.

I personally like BMWs way of using mainly numbers with an occasional letter (like Z or M) to name their cars. I find the funny names other car manufacturers use silly and confusing. I also think it is pretty german to keep it simple. But it is hard to be completely consistent and there seems to be no firm definition of what an M car is. To me that is the fundimental issue.

The original M1 (and maybe that will be its new name) was more inconsistent with a M3 than a 135 based M car would be. It was not a highly tuned version of a production vehicle, it was a race car for which there were a minimum number of road going versions built. It looks like a great vehicle and something the collectors market would value highly but quite unrelated to front engine, rear wheel drive, production based vehicles with unit bodies. Steel frame with fiberglass body is 1970s race technology, only the corvette uses this in a production vehicle (although the fiero is somewhat close). So I kind of don't get the argument that a 135 based car shouldn't be a M1 because it not close enough related (I guess due to the turbo engine). Purest seem to not like the SUV M but it is turboed too. The number of BMWs with turbos would seem to be going up based upon eco direction. I prefer normally aspirated but I can still get one at this point. That barrier on the M label has already been passed and my guess is it will continue to be passed. The better question might be as to whether there will be normally aspirated Ms in 10 years.

So the main remaining argument seems to be to not recycle the name. And possibly in some peoples mind disparage the name by attaching it to BMWs least expensive line. I suspect that marketing interests will cause BMW not to accept this argument and in some peoples mind they have already said enough in the press to indicate they've decided. I can see why a purest who followed the original M1 would have some issue with that decision but personally it makes sense to me. It seems very easy to use phrases like the original M1 or the new M1 to ensure there is no confusion. If 30 years time had not passed, I don't think I'd feel the same and if they were more similar cars, maybe I would not but when they are such different vehicles, I don't think there will be much confusion - but calling two very different vehicles "M1" is also part of the issue for some.

Jim
      01-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #137
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
If they name it the M1 It will put a smile on my face. Otherwise a frown.

It is the mere thought of there existing a more affordable M crafted BMW. Joyful.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #138
Dante001
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
If they name it the M1 It will put a smile on my face. Otherwise a frown.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #139
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-17-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #140
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Perhaps since this is the "B" version of the M1, we could call it the "BM1".

Sick I know.
......eewww.

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #141
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Perhaps since this is the "B" version of the M1, we could call it the "BM1".

Sick I know.
lol!

a B version of a M tuned X = BMX?

Thank god we haven't got a W series, otherwise everyone would be up in arms with the B version of a M tuned W series.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #142
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

Wow - this is nuts...the M1 was the first - I can't imagine them using it for anything but that original car. Now what I could see is a 135M instead of 135i.I think we know it's injected.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #143
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

BUMPITY BUMP!
      04-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #144
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

///M1 # 1 choice. 90 % of people voting against it..don't own a 1 series. % was calculated using whatever I feel is right.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #145
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3
Couple Facts:
4) THIS THREAD DOES NOT BELONG IN THE 1-SERIES FORUM. You want to know if its good to throw the M1 badge on the 1 series??? Ask the M forums, ask new and old M drivers. The guys that buy M cars. Not a 1-series forum where entry level BMW buyers are TRYING to reason and vote about the absolute BEST thing about BMW... The ///M Cars.

Wha??? There are so many things I would like to say to you...I'll hold back..entry buyers? Last time I checked, my 3 homes were paid for (barbie doll homes) and so is my cheap lil' BMW..I can buy what I like,,,and I like the "entry level 1 series" . I may buy AN M3 debadge it and place an M1 just for you....pfffffff

Last edited by oztiks; 04-23-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #146
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
This result has sort of surprised me up to a point and then I remember the probable average age of the members here.

It's a shame but the majority of those votes that said 'YES' haven't got a clue of the importance of the original M1. You all harp on about wanting the M3 to return to the original values of the E30 but are willing to piss on the heritage that brought the very M-Division into existence. The very idea of this is far and a way worse than BMW making a FWD car.

The 'M1' badge should be kept for something that was in the spirit of the original, another ground breaking model in BMW's history and preferably another supercar of sorts.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #147
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Maybe, at the end of the day, the M1 badge should NEVER be used again...even if they do bring out a mid engined supercar of similar mystique. Therefore, the badge is only ever associated with the original.

The only reason the e82 should be called M1 is for when it has photo opportunities with its bigger siblings.

It would be fun to speculate on names such as tii or M Coupe , 2 which I would personally applaud. All I intend to do now is sit back and wait for it to be announced.

Be back later!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #148
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Any name longer than 3 syllables won't be right. If they have enough foresight and name the 1 coupe a 2 coupe, then they won't have this naming problem.

They should just announce it, but I guess it is not going to happen until they reveal the car.

Paris is in October which makes it still almost like 5/6 months away from any announcement in name. I think they should just leak the name out here to see what sort of response they get.

I keep mentioning an alternative to all these, but no one has commented.

How about just called it a 1 series ///M, with just a ///M badge like the Zs? What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #149
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Hey Sparoz, will Aus get the car after Europe and USA have been satisfied...say 2013, price $159,000?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #150
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer323 View Post
Hey Sparoz, will Aus get the car after Europe and USA have been satisfied...say 2013, price $159,000?
OT:
I don't know???

I was hoping limited numbers will make it here late 2011, and I am thinking of ordering for mid 2012 delivery. My dealer is going to inform me as soon as there is official announcements and I would put my deposit to hold a slot, but I don't really want to change my car till 2012.

I think the base car would be around $110-120k. That is just below the M3 Sedan, but I would imagine by the time we add all the options/personalisation, it is going to be closer to $145k. Which is approximately where the E46 M3 used to be.

That's just my guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #151
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

How about just called it a 1 series ///M, with just a ///M badge like the Zs? What do you guys think?
I could live with that. Come to think of it, they're propbably only going to have an //M badge on that back anyway.
      04-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #152
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
This result has sort of surprised me up to a point and then I remember the probable average age of the members here.

It's a shame but the majority of those votes that said 'YES' haven't got a clue of the importance of the original M1. You all harp on about wanting the M3 to return to the original values of the E30 but are willing to piss on the heritage that brought the very M-Division into existence. The very idea of this is far and a way worse than BMW making a FWD car.

The 'M1' badge should be kept for something that was in the spirit of the original, another ground breaking model in BMW's history and preferably another supercar of sorts.
Would you like BMW to build a 911, R8, Gallardo, 458 Italia and MP4-12C rival? (I do not count the SLS AMG, I do not consider it as a performance car)

If BMW builds one they should not call it M1, because it will be a hybride with 3 cylinder diesel engine. It is even worse than an M-Tuned 135i. And even if they build one with NA I6 engine, they should not call it M1. M1 is unique.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #153
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Would you like BMW to build a 911, R8, Gallardo, 458 Italia and MP4-12C rival? (I do not count the SLS AMG, I do not consider it as a performance car)

If BMW builds one they should not call it M1, because it will be a hybride with 3 cylinder diesel engine. It is even worse than an M-Tuned 135i. And even if they build one with NA I6 engine, they should not call it M1. M1 is unique.
All I want is if BMW actually reuse the M1 name it should be use on something as historic as what the original was and definitely not on a 1 series coupe, no matter how good it will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #154
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
All I want is if BMW actually reuse the M1 name it should be use on something as historic as what the original was and definitely not on a 1 series coupe, no matter how good it will be.
The term "Historic" can be very subjective. BMW adding //M SUV's is "Historic." Hell, BMW re-using the name M1 is "Historic." It is a car company, not a religion or person. It's going to be okay. IMO, that 5er GT and these possible upcoming FWD is more of a slap in the face than anything.
Appreciate 0