BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Tischer Credit Issue heads up

Just got a letter from a "Mile One Automotive Group" in MD stating that one of their third party members, "TradeMotion" had a security breach in regards to credit card information..

The www.getbmwparts.com site had been compromised a while back (as far as credit card information), and apparently "Trademotion" was their third party vendor.

I keep separate, isolated credit cards for ordering online and they have both been shut down as a result. Both accounts showed small, "testing" charges to see if the charges would go through. These are then traditionally followed by very large charges. The last attempted charge on mine was a new LS-7 for someone's Vette in Louisiana. (Apparently, If you're going to do it.. Do it right..)

My credit card company blocked all transactions and cancelled the account within minutes, but in talking to them after they texted me, the activity was "astounding". In their explanation. Hundreds of attempted charges within minutes after the small charge went through.

Tischer was not the only affected site. Apparently there is a "Subarupartsdepot.com" that was part of the issue as well.

Like I said, most banks and lending institutions are pretty good about crap like this, but a simple reminder to never use a debit card when shopping online.

The end of the letter stated that the problems had been identified and resolved, but for anyone that has bought anything from Tischer within the past 12 months, please diligently check out your credit report and keep an eye on things..

Overall, they were very accommodating about the whole thing and offered free credit protection through Experian.

It really blows that people do crap like that, but I still know where I'm getting my next oil and filter change.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Cheeze1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for the heads up. My CC info got stolen a month or two ago and I would have never even suspected getbmwparts.com was the culprit, but that's almost certainly what it was.

Good advice to never use a debit card. I also recently came across a popular vendor on this forum who was not taking orders over an encrypted connection. I alerted him to that fact and he quickly remedied it, but just a reminder to also make sure you place orders over a secure connection (i.e. the URL will begin with HTTPS).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

I got the letter as well last week. I switched card numbers within the last couple of months so I don't know if it's due to this breach or another one. Regardless, I use Amex online exclusively due to their monitoring and customer service. I've paid exactly $0 due to online issues. Peace of mind.

FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to re-order from Tischer as a result of this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
I got the letter as well last week. I switched card numbers within the last couple of months so I don't know if it's due to this breach or another one. Regardless, I use Amex online exclusively due to their monitoring and customer service. I've paid exactly $0 due to online issues. Peace of mind.

FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to re-order from Tischer as a result of this.
I have also paid $0 out of pocket and agree with this whole heartedly..

I want to reiterate.. Tischer is a fantastic company, (And from what I understand, a good partner to this site).. I don't mean any harm to them.. This was just a "heads up" to a malicious third party company that they were using..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Biggs07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i..its a love hate thing

This is why when you use your debit card, make sure its paypal.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I worked for Tischer (not anymore, but I did). I didn't leave on the best of notes, but believe me, if they are saying they are doing everything to fix the issue, I'm sure they are. They were great in that aspect.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. My CC info got stolen a month or two ago and I would have never even suspected getbmwparts.com was the culprit, but that's almost certainly what it was.

Good advice to never use a debit card. I also recently came across a popular vendor on this forum who was not taking orders over an encrypted connection. I alerted him to that fact and he quickly remedied it, but just a reminder to also make sure you place orders over a secure connection (i.e. the URL will begin with HTTPS).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs07 View Post
This is why when you use your debit card, make sure its paypal.
My CC info was stole back in April and it is the one I used for them so I wonder if it was related. I always use PayPal for my Debt card purchases online and will start using only one CC for online purchases now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I worked for Tischer (not anymore, but I did). I didn't leave on the best of notes, but believe me, if they are saying they are doing everything to fix the issue, I'm sure they are. They were great in that aspect.
Did they fire you? What happened? I heard other people say similar things.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Evan@Tischer
Rep
Drives: Online Parts Sales

Dear valued getBMWparts.com customers and forum members,

Regarding the security breach notice our Corporation – MileOne Automotive recently sent only to customers recognized as potentially at risk - we can certainly understand your questions and frustration. As stated in the notification letter, however, the security incident did not occur on MileOne’s systems or on our GetBMWParts.com or SubaruPartsDepot.com websites. Rather, the incident originated at one of our third party vendors, TradeMotion. TradeMotion is an e-commerce service provider that we, and hundreds of other online retailers (including other vendors on these forums), use to process online transactions including payment processing. Nonetheless, we recognize that you purchased one or more of our products and we take the privacy and security of our customers extremely seriously. That is why, despite the fact the incident did not originate with our systems, we took proactive steps to help you minimize potential harm from the incident.

As to any concerns regarding the timing of the incident and the notification, the dates identified in the letter reflect the period of time that TradeMotion has determined account information was vulnerable to unauthorized acquisition. The March 5, 2014 date is not the date when the security incident was discovered. Rather, it is the beginning of the security breach period which was determined after the breach was discovered and TradeMotion completed its investigation. The notice was provided only to customers identified as potentially at risk after TradeMotion completed its investigation, including the following:
  • Notifying the appropriate law enforcement authorities;
  • Investigating to determine the cause and scope of the breach;
  • Investigating to determine which businesses’ customer information was affected (because TradeMotion is a service provider for more than just GetBMWParts.com and SubaruPartsDepot.com);
  • Implementing corrective action to secure the system to protect customer information from further compromise; and,
  • Identifying the affected customers and the customer information that may have been compromised.
We continue to encourage you to take advantage of the complementary ProtectMyID program being offered through the notice. In addition to the ProtectMyID program, you are also encouraged to consider the “Additional Actions” described in the notice, including:
  • Placing a fraud alert on the your consumer reporting agency file;
  • Placing a security freeze on your consumer reporting agency file;
  • Obtaining a copy of your free annual credit report from reporting agencies and reviewing it carefully for any discrepancies;
  • Reviewing account statements carefully for signs of unauthorized transactions; and,
  • Reviewing the FTC’s identify theft website for additional information.
Should you have any additional questions or comments regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us at getHelp@getBMWparts.com - further questions will not be answered here.

Sincerely,

getBMWparts.com
MileOne Automotive
Email: getHelp@getBMWparts.com

Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | New: Shop Porsche & Audi parts!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

If you are an AMX customer you can get a number to use once online
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
lo-tek
I'm a PC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullCheck View Post
What does this have to do with anything? Come on.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullCheck View Post
Oh no, I had to move to California lol I'd happily go back.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0