BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Coming soon; E39M5 powered E24

Another new guy

Hi Everyone,

Been looking around here for a little while and thought it was time to say hello.

There is some very interesting threads on here and im liking the fact that there seems to be a more mature crowd here than other forums.

I read with great interest that the engine management can be retuned quite easily and there are several options out there.
I'm not as power hungry as what i used to be but ive always enjoyed the fact that everything can be modified to suit someones personal needs.

I'm currently driving a new VW Golf GT TDI manual and have some performed some nice mods to that but i don't believe i'm doing the diesel justice.
It's a nice car that has been slightly lowered with Eibach Pro-kit, 19" RS4 Reps, full leather, Kenwood Nav and Superchipped. The car currently makes around 150kw and 430nm's at the crank.

Problem is, i just don't drive it. 10mins to work every morning and 10 mins back. It barely has time to warm up.

So with that said its time to get into a 135.

I worked for BMW for quite a few years in Brisbane and am very familiar with the BMW way.
The 135 is the car for me that's already decided, but i'm struggling with manual or auto.

It's not going to be a race car in any way, although i will be modifying the ECU to perform how i want it. Better economy and more torque sounds good to me. And it will mainly be a car driven around the city with a few occasional blasts on the weekends.

Can someone point me to a thread where there is some solid info on the auto that is used behind the turbo engine and its strength, especially when the engine has been modified.

I see some of you guys are making good numbers at the wheels and 200+kw is not hard at all. What sort of torque are you guys getting from the tiny snails on the engine and has anyone had any trouble with the auto?

Thanks guys
      08-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Welcome Aboard

Hi,

Welcome aboard. As a new member myself, this is a very friendly and helpful forum.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy

For me, its all about the driving and therefore it has to be the sublime manual. BTW the auto in the 1er are traditional autos not SMG/DSG.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Welcome,

+1 to molar's comments
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I think the 6-speed ZF auto would suit this high torque engine very well. I would not hesitate buying an auto if all I want to do is cruise around. I think it will be awesome in an auto (especially if you get a vert).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Firstly Welcome Jaymz.

I was also in two minds about the transmission.

Iniatially I order the car in Auto then changed my mind 2 weeks later to 6SM..( Put my order back by 2 weeks )

It was the right decission for me to change,Now I wouldnr have it any other way..Others including the dealer disagreed.

But.. either way it is a machine.

Wayne you are correct in assuming that Auto is more acceptable in a vert.. Prob makes it easier for resale to a wider market.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
Hi,

Welcome aboard. As a new member myself, this is a very friendly and helpful forum.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy

For me, its all about the driving and therefore it has to be the sublime manual. BTW the auto in the 1er are traditional autos not SMG/DSG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Welcome,

+1 to molar's comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I think the 6-speed ZF auto would suit this high torque engine very well. I would not hesitate buying an auto if all I want to do is cruise around. I think it will be awesome in an auto (especially if you get a vert).
Thanks guys.
Sorry WAY the vert, a bald head and sunny Qld days do not go well together :biggrin:
It'll be a coupe for me and at most it'll have a sunroof.

Haven't ordered yet, i want a early 09 handover. I've also just read on here that the nav is being upgraded. Thats great news as i think the Pro nav is way overpriced.
The car will definately have nav, so I think i'll put the order in when BMW AG can confirm the upgrade and pricing. Unless someone here has the inside scoup?
      08-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
Thanks guys.
Sorry WAY the vert, a bald head and sunny Qld days do not go well together :biggrin:
Whats wrong with a bald head an owning a vert..:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Welcome Jaymz, good luck with the ordering wait! (I'm going spare and I've still got 2 months to go)

From everything I've read the new iDrive/nav systems will be on cars built from the beginning of September, although there's conflicting reports as to whether this will be for all regions but I can't imagine why this would be the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Firstly Welcome Jaymz.

I was also in two minds about the transmission.

Iniatially I order the car in Auto then changed my mind 2 weeks later to 6SM..( Put my order back by 2 weeks )

It was the right decission for me to change,Now I wouldnr have it any other way..Others including the dealer disagreed.

But.. either way it is a machine.

Wayne you are correct in assuming that Auto is more acceptable in a vert.. Prob makes it easier for resale to a wider market.
Thanks Zuzu. Yes after working in sales for BMW for some time i can say that there are very few bought in manual. So if there are limited numbers sold (less than 5%) then it will more than likely take a hit on the backend. Or at least if you hold the price it will take sometime longer to sell.
But with that said the 135 coupe is still a new thing and no one has a crystal ball. It may be very surprising
      08-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thats all fine, doesnt concern me too much..I always trade back with very low K's..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Do you still work for Brisbane BMW, Jaymz?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Haven't ordered yet, i want a early 09 handover. I've also just read on here that the nav is being upgraded. Thats great news as i think the Pro nav is way overpriced.

I have posted elsewhere, but I have ordered an October production car for a Jan 09 delivery with the new prof nav.

There is no specs on the Business Nav. though, but I guess that it would also be upgraded.

I was very conflicted before I upgraded my Nav., now I am alot happier. BTW there was no price rise for the new nav. , just for my upgrade from Business to Prof.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #13
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Do you still work for Brisbane BMW, Jaymz?
No i don't, finished up there late last year. I'm still in there a fair bit though as i now manage the biggest Automotive Recruitment company in SE Qld.

I have done a few od Saturdays at Westside BMW though since it opened, just for laughs. No really it was to get my hands on the new M3, goes alright in a manual:biggrin:
      08-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #14
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Been looking around here for a little while and thought it was time to say hello.

There is some very interesting threads on here and im liking the fact that there seems to be a more mature crowd here than other forums.

I read with great interest that the engine management can be retuned quite easily and there are several options out there.
I'm not as power hungry as what i used to be but ive always enjoyed the fact that everything can be modified to suit someones personal needs.

I'm currently driving a new VW Golf GT TDI manual and have some performed some nice mods to that but i don't believe i'm doing the diesel justice.
It's a nice car that has been slightly lowered with Eibach Pro-kit, 19" RS4 Reps, full leather, Kenwood Nav and Superchipped. The car currently makes around 150kw and 430nm's at the crank.

Problem is, i just don't drive it. 10mins to work every morning and 10 mins back. It barely has time to warm up.

I worked for BMW for quite a few years in Brisbane and am very familiar with the BMW way.
The 135 is the car for me that's already decided, but i'm struggling with manual or auto.

It's not going to be a race car in any way, although i will be modifying the ECU to perform how i want it. Better economy and more torque sounds good to me. And it will mainly be a car driven around the city with a few occasional blasts on the weekends.

Can someone point me to a thread where there is some solid info on the auto that is used behind the turbo engine and its strength, especially when the engine has been modified.

I see some of you guys are making good numbers at the wheels and 200+kw is not hard at all. What sort of torque are you guys getting from the tiny snails on the engine and has anyone had any trouble with the auto?

Thanks guys
Hi there and congrats on getting a 135i, I can relate to alot of the above as I'm sure most others here can as well :smile:

Auto or manual is really up to as to which best serves your intended usage/function and if you want/can spend the extra for the auto.

As for the auto itself, as mentioned above, it is the ZF unit as used in Fords and Holdens behind both turbo 6's and V8's, however I suspect the unit in the BMW's has their own different calibrations and settings to suit.

I'm actually opting for an auto when I get one - however I'm also hoping that BMW will have the 7sp DCT automated manual as an option for the 135i by the time I'm ready to purchase :smile:

As far as strength of the unit, no need to worry, as mentioned it sits behind both turbo 6's and V8's with higher power and torque outputs than the N54 and does the job perfectly, so even a modded N54 would be no probs :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Hi there and congrats on getting a 135i, I can relate to alot of the above as I'm sure most others here can as well :smile:

Auto or manual is really up to as to which best serves your intended usage/function and if you want/can spend the extra for the auto.

As for the auto itself, as mentioned above, it is the ZF unit as used in Fords and Holdens behind both turbo 6's and V8's, however I suspect the unit in the BMW's has their own different calibrations and settings to suit.

I'm actually opting for an auto when I get one - however I'm also hoping that BMW will have the 7sp DCT automated manual as an option for the 135i by the time I'm ready to purchase :smile:

As far as strength of the unit, no need to worry, as mentioned it sits behind both turbo 6's and V8's with higher power and torque outputs than the N54 and does the job perfectly, so even a modded N54 would be no probs :smile:
Hay Wraith:smile: Yes had heard Ford was using a similar unit, just wasn't sure on the exact specs and whether it was built as tough. Probably shouldn't doubt it though, cos if its like most other typical BMW over engineering it'll be good for 500 ponies:biggrin:
      08-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #16
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hay Wraith:smile: Yes had heard Ford was using a similar unit, just wasn't sure on the exact specs and whether it was built as tough. Probably shouldn't doubt it though, cos if its like most other typical BMW over engineering it'll be good for 500 ponies:biggrin:
Maybe, can't say for certain as I don't have any specs.

I'll try and get a hold of the actual BMW workshop manual on the auto trans (I have a copy of the one on the new 7sp DCT) and hopefully be able to shed more light on exact specs.

As for the unit in the Fords, the FPV F6 has over 300kw and over 570nm at the crank from factory which is already way beyond the stock power of the N54 and similar to tuned N54 outputs, so definitely piece of mind there, if it's 'exactly' the same unit :smile:

I've also seen numerous 'APS' tuned XR6 T's running 11's over the 1/4 with outputs exceeding 400kw with the auto trans and none have had problems...:wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #17
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Welcome Jaymz, good to see more Aussies around!
      08-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Hi Jaymz

I've gone for the 135 (will have it by the end of the month hopefully). Because of a few issues with the other driver, I've had to go Auto. However from my reading, the box will have no issues with the chip, especially a relatively conservative one such as the AA unit.

Enjoy your stay around here!

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Welcome Jaymz, good to see more Aussies around!
Cheers:smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Hi Jaymz

I've gone for the 135 (will have it by the end of the month hopefully). Because of a few issues with the other driver, I've had to go Auto. However from my reading, the box will have no issues with the chip, especially a relatively conservative one such as the AA unit.

Enjoy your stay around here!
Howdy:smile: and thanks.
Yes it seams that the auto is up to the job. I may consult some of the tuners that guys have posted about here just to confirm.
The 335 has been on the market for some time and i would say there would be a few out there with big mods.
With the average klm/yr being about 20k you would think it has proven its strength somewhere along the line.

I just spoke with the a service manager at BMW and he believes it does actually have the same internal bits as the XR6T.
Sounds good to me.
      08-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys
The golf sound pretty good. Are you happy wiyh the performance? are you going to sell it?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
The golf sound pretty good. Are you happy wiyh the performance? are you going to sell it?
Yes its a great car. The performance is awesome for a TDI.
If you push it hard enough 0-100 is somewhere in the 6's. I just love the torque though. It averages around 6.5L/100 so it goes well, is good on fuel and not a bad looker either.

Yes its for sale and happy to consider all offers. I picked it up in February this year. PM me if anyone is interested.

08-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #22
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Yes its a great car. The performance is awesome for a TDI.
If you push it hard enough 0-100 is somewhere in the 6's. I just love the torque though. It averages around 6.5L/100 so it goes well, is good on fuel and not a bad looker either.

Yes its for sale and happy to consider all offers. I picked it up in February this year. PM me if anyone is interested.

Manual?
Appreciate 0