BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Rear Speaker Noise Rattle - Issue

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing rear speaker area Rattle. It seems to happen with the base hits and ratttles near the middle section of rear seat.

Any known fixes for this issue? It's starting to get annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing rear speaker area Rattle. It seems to happen with the base hits and ratttles near the middle section of rear seat.

Any known fixes for this issue? It's starting to get annoying.
that only happens to Chelsea fans...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
that only happens to Chelsea fans...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If it makes any difference I have the HK Sound Package...

... And I'm a Chelsea fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Same problem here. Drives me nuts. Also have the HK sound. Have not attempted a fix yet.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
Same problem here. Drives me nuts. Also have the HK sound. Have not attempted a fix yet.

TJ
Good to know I'm not the only with the rattle issue. I think it's coming from the center rear seat, maybe the plastic center seat divider?

Do you only hear it when the sub hits?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129

TJ
Me too! And I thought I blew a speaker! But it is only during certain songs at certain volume levels. Something to be concerned about?
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

I also have the same issue since i got the car from the dealer, HK as well. I thought that the speakers themselves dont seem to handle the bass that well... Hmm

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post
I also have the same issue since i got the car from the dealer, HK as well. I thought that the speakers themselves dont seem to handle the bass that well... Hmm
I don't think it has to do with the speakers, I seriously think its rattling from some part of the interior section.

I'm Heading to a meet tonight, perfect time to troubleshoot with a few of the guys and...

Possibly install my Angels Eyes / AFE Intake... Papaethova... Einser...PowerB...????

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post

TJ
Good to know I'm not the only with the rattle issue. I think it's coming from the center rear seat, maybe the plastic center seat divider?

Do you only hear it when the sub hits?
Ya seems to be only on certain songs, sounds like trim rattling. My 135 had a similar rattle that caused my SA to become deaf whenever my car approached the dealership, he could never hear it or replicate it. Figured I'd attempt it myself someday if someone posts a fix. Was only on the passenger side until the other day then I hear it on the drivers side too.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

My passenger side reat seatbelt retention spring rattles like crazy on some roads and to some music. I have tracked it down by removing the belt completely, but my dealer refuses to replace it. I have some pretty terrible local dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Do what I did. Just get a loud exhaust. You really can't hear the stereo anymore at low speeds!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

This comes to mind

I had a similar issue with my HK system in my E46 M3. Drove me nuts. I saw this DIY:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=362401

It worked very well. However, I'm overseas and can't look at my 1M to see if there is a similar speaker in the rear deck.

FWIW: I haven't heard any rattles yet from that area with my HK stereo, but I also have only put about 6K miles on the car and haven't turned up the volume very loud.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

I had the same rattle, it was coming from the bottom of the side trim panel vibrating against the seat : http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...45&hg=51&fg=50

I reseated the panel and adjacent seat side bolster : http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...19&hg=52&fg=20 number 8

Rattling has gone away but doesn't mean it won't come back. Will be putting in a thin slice of high density foam between the panel and seat for a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update and DIY tips! I'm definitely going to try out the above.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I have the h&k stereo and the rattle, I'm always reaching back and putting my hand on the trim piece in between the backseats to see if it'll stop but it doesn't, sounds like either the shelf or the corner of the rear passenger seat. My dealership also has a hearing problem lol, im going to keep an eye on this thread.
      01-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I have the exact same issue. Drives my nuts. My center armrest squeaks too over bumps when my arm is resting on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
cytokine232
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M BSM

Same problem here! I also have the HK stereo. Anyone without HK experiencing the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
benimin
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
I've got an HK stereo and a similar rattle.. I localized mine to the interior panel on the passenger sides adjacent to the back seat. If I press lightly on the panel in front of the rear arm rest the rattle goes away. So I took it to the dealer for a fix.. they made the passenger side worse and "fixed" the driver side (which didn't rattle) without my approval and now I've got the rattle on that side too. Took it back again, another fix and they're both exactly the same. For now I've given up, but if someone finds a fix PLEASE share bc that rattle is the only niggle spoiling an otherwise perfect driving experience (mine's got 19,000 miles on it now bc I can't get enough).

I also had the squeak from the center armrest. I wd-40'd lightly between the hinges at the back of the armrest, moved it up and did the same from the front then moved it up/down to work it in. Because the gaps are so small it made a bit of a mess, but was easily cleaned and the it hasn't made a noise since (prob 6-8 months ago).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by benimin View Post
...I also had the squeak from the center armrest. I wd-40'd lightly between the hinges at the back of the armrest, moved it up and did the same from the front then moved it up/down to work it in. Because the gaps are so small it made a bit of a mess, but was easily cleaned and the it hasn't made a noise since (prob 6-8 months ago).
Thanks for the tip, I am going to try that!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by benimin View Post
I've got an HK stereo and a similar rattle.. I localized mine to the interior panel on the passenger sides adjacent to the back seat. If I press lightly on the panel in front of the rear arm rest the rattle goes away. So I took it to the dealer for a fix.. they made the passenger side worse and "fixed" the driver side (which didn't rattle) without my approval and now I've got the rattle on that side too. Took it back again, another fix and they're both exactly the same. For now I've given up, but if someone finds a fix PLEASE share bc that rattle is the only niggle spoiling an otherwise perfect driving experience (mine's got 19,000 miles on it now bc I can't get enough).

I also had the squeak from the center armrest. I wd-40'd lightly between the hinges at the back of the armrest, moved it up and did the same from the front then moved it up/down to work it in. Because the gaps are so small it made a bit of a mess, but was easily cleaned and the it hasn't made a noise since (prob 6-8 months ago).
I tracked my noise down to the same location that you did. I plan on removing the panel and inspecting to see if there is any light interference between parts that could be wrapped in adhesive-backed felt or something similar.

I also have the occasional armrest creak when my arm is on it, too. It's not a major issue, though since I rarely rest my arm on it. But once it annoys me enough I'll try lubing it up like you did.

I'm also getting a new noise that sounds like it's coming from the seatbelt area of the B pillar. I really only hear it when taking off from a stop. Like the armrest, not a noise that is constantly occurring so not a major issue at this point.
      01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benimin

I think this is a systemic problem and others are having your same experience.