BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #1
SpoolySpool
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Exclamation Need advice on suspension

Hi everyone,

Im new to these cars and a am reading some mixed things.

i have a 2008 128i. I hit a pothole friday and my two rear shocks went.

mechanic quoted $1100 in parts alone so I was thinking just buying coilovers would be more cost efficient and fun lol

Im reading that on some BMWs the shock and spring are not combined into a single unit like other coilover systems. does this mean i would still need to replace the shocks even if i wanted coilovers ?

wondering what route to take as my car is currently sitting at the shop and id like to make a choice tomorrow.

Appreciate any advice/Help

Thanks,

B
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Sounds like you could be getting jerked around. 1 pothole won't take out shocks on both sides. They might actually need replacing, but not for that.

Shocks are under $100 each, and a mounting kit w/ every thing for both sides just over $100. So maybe... $300 in parts alone? That's if you buy them. Some markup if they do it, but not $1100.

Somewhere around that or just a little more, maybe $400, for installation.

Pick the car up and just say thanks but no thanks. Do NOT let them talk you into the job. Bonus to tell them to F off if you feel like it.

And you're right, coilovers don't really exist for the rear, the coil can't go over the shock. If you do the work just get a pre-made kit with everything. At least you'll get rear parts to match the fronts with it.
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50
      02-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #3
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolySpool View Post
Hi everyone,

mechanic quoted $1100 in parts alone so I was thinking just buying coilovers would be more cost efficient and fun lol

Im reading that on some BMWs the shock and spring are not combined into a single unit like other coilover systems. does this mean i would still need to replace the shocks even if i wanted coilovers ?
You're being ripped off if it's just the shocks. OE BMW shocks are ~$135 each from FCP Euro with the full shock mount kit (1 kit, both sides) adding $116. Now, to be fair, there could be other parts that were damaged, but even so I find it hard to get to $1,100 for parts alone. Easy enough to DYI if you're so inclined. It's a bit of a PITA to get to the top mounts as you'll have to pull the trunk liner, but even so it's not particularly challenging. FCP Euro has a video on it.

And yes, shocks (dampers ) and springs are separate in the rear on the E8x and E9x cars. Somebody else will have to speak to matching shocks and springs – that's above my paygrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolySpool View Post
Hi everyone,

wondering what route to take as my car is currently sitting at the shop and id like to make a choice tomorrow.

Appreciate any advice/Help

Thanks,

B
Unless you bent a bunch of control arms that does sound wrong. I realize you're quoting canadian dollars, and maybe the parts your mechanic is quoting are "BMW original" which can get pricey, but it still seems off.

You should get an itemized list from the quote to see if there was other stuff included.

I have original BMW M-sport suspension with about 85K kms on it, in good working condition. It's been sitting boxed up for a while now, if you're interested, happy to sell you that for cheap. You can send me a DM, in the west end of the GTA also.

If you decide to go the suspension route, there's a ton of information and threads in these forums and it will take you some time to browse and understand your options. But as others have said, you can get "OE quality" replacement shocks for quote cheap if that's all that is blown - look up Bilstein B4 or the equivalent Sachs shocks.

Good luck - let me know if you're interested in my original parts.
Appreciate 0