BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Have you had any headlight problems and have you made any modifications to them?
HAVE had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - No modifications 12 5.56%
HAVE had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - I did make modifications 64 29.63%
Have NOT had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - No modifications 78 36.11%
Have NOT had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - I did make modifications 62 28.70%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
jwhit012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just has this issue with my headlights. Installed bms kit, I'm guessing one of the Ballets interfered with the stepper motor(adaptive headlight motor) blew it and now they don't work . Second, because of the misplacement of the ballets the cover did not have a solid seal therefore moisture occurred . figure I would take it to the dealership and my warranty would cover everything .well I was wrong , water damage not covered . On the bright side I had one light out when I took it in and as they drive up with my car this morning both light were on. now I just have to figure out how to fix this adaptive headlight issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

I have had the BMS LED kit for about 6 months, no problems at all
      12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
My headlights have been one of the sole reason for repairs to my car under warranty. I have had bulbs go out ever 1 or 2 months at a time. And sometimes they went out as frequently as every week. This was all before modifications.
Now I have replaced the bulbs and ironically... no issues so far. They have been on my car for a couple months now, which is longer than any of the stocks lasted before having issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #26
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
No problems ...

I am in the no problem category. See http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=771322&page=1
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I just installed some CREE 20W LED bulbs that I purchased from eBay, and got the adaptive headlight error that everyone's talking about. The error would occur a few mins after driving.

I velcro'd the ballast onto the inside of the cover as others suggested. I opened it up again to inspect, and could not figure out what I did wrong.

What is causing the adaptive headlight code to trigger?

I don't remember the ballast being conductive, so even if I velcro'd to the wrong position, hitting the DRL bulb (the middle bulb), it shouldn't short anything out.

Any advice from those who installed successfully with no errors is appreciated. Thanks!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #28
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Update to previous post: I fixed my adaptive headlight error by moving the ballast.

Everyone with similar problems please check out post #35 in this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...el+eyes&page=2

Wow, I learned something new. I just assumed everything in the rear bulb / rear cover area was just connectors and wires, but the adaptive motor actually extends back to this portion. If you touch & wiggle the square block you can see your headlight assembly (the adaptive headlights) wiggle too. So if the ballast is touching the adaptive assembly, it'll throw this error code.

Luckily I caught this on the first night before the motor burned out. Hopefully the rest of you can resolve your error codes now too.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Per a couple other threads, this is where I put my resistors. I used industrial velcro and a little duct tape to keep those suckers in place and out of the way.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #30
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

so i think my active headlight motor blew.... i moved the LED ballasts.
is there s DIY to replace the active head light motor that i burnt out?
and a part #?
      12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

I installed the BMS bulbs and got the adaptive headlight, no matter how well I taped everything towards the middle of the car. I ended up going to a coder, and having him completely turn off the adaptive headlights. I haven't really notice any inconvenience when turning, since turning off the cornering lights.

So for those of you with the adaptive headlight error, one option is to just contact a coder, and have him turn them off (if you're willing).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
I installed the BMS bulbs and got the adaptive headlight, no matter how well I taped everything towards the middle of the car. I ended up going to a coder, and having him completely turn off the adaptive headlights. I haven't really notice any inconvenience when turning, since turning off the cornering lights.

So for those of you with the adaptive headlight error, one option is to just contact a coder, and have him turn them off (if you're willing).
The problem is I refuse to lose a feature of my multiple-thousand-dollar headlight setup on my $40,000 car because of a bad aftermarket design.

I was pumped to get these when I got my car, having heard great things about them, but then when I received mine they were nothing like what was pictured on their site (it has since been updated) or in reviews. They told me it was the new version that just began rolling out. Honestly, I had thought it was a counterfeit or something because the quality of the new stuff is poor. Oval ballasts loosely held together by philips head screws, with two fragile-looking wires hanging out? What happened to the normal-shaped black ballasts and the beefier looking machined light housings?

I ended up selling mine and living with the halogen angels, they don't look bad.
      12-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #33
Sarge135
Semper FI!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Cant you just change the H8 bulb to something like a PIAA bulb to get the rings white in color instead of all the stuff that goes with the LED?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #34
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Originally I had an error after the ballast was in the way like others. I moved the ballast outside of the housing and filed down very slightly a spot for the wires to go through the cover. I used some sticky rubber stuff to seal out the moisture. No problems over a year and a half now.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #35
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs454 View Post
The problem is I refuse to lose a feature of my multiple-thousand-dollar headlight setup on my $40,000 car because of a bad aftermarket design.

I was pumped to get these when I got my car, having heard great things about them, but then when I received mine they were nothing like what was pictured on their site (it has since been updated) or in reviews. They told me it was the new version that just began rolling out. Honestly, I had thought it was a counterfeit or something because the quality of the new stuff is poor. Oval ballasts loosely held together by philips head screws, with two fragile-looking wires hanging out? What happened to the normal-shaped black ballasts and the beefier looking machined light housings?

I ended up selling mine and living with the halogen angels, they don't look bad.
I definitely understand where your coming from. I'm just lazy, and don't appreciate the adaptives that much lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge135 View Post
Cant you just change the H8 bulb to something like a PIAA bulb to get the rings white in color instead of all the stuff that goes with the LED?
I tired this two days ago, and now have the same problem everyone else is having. Well, my active headlights work fine but the car is throwing a "light out warning". I think the main issue comes from the aftermarket H8 bulbs being 50w where the stock bulbs are 35w, I'm taking that the system sees the additional draw in current and throws an error code. The lights work perfectly fine, it's just the stupid beep every 10 min or so that drives me crazy!
Does any one know if the Angel Eye bulb in the 2013 335i will fit the 08-10 1er'?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
Sarge135
Semper FI!
United_States
Rep

These are white

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...FQSqnQodLFcAUQ

So are these...

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-Pure...en-PRD847.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
I tired this two days ago, and now have the same problem everyone else is having. Well, my active headlights work fine but the car is throwing a "light out warning". I think the main issue comes from the aftermarket H8 bulbs being 50w where the stock bulbs are 35w, I'm taking that the system sees the additional draw in current and throws an error code. The lights work perfectly fine, it's just the stupid beep every 10 min or so that drives me crazy!
Does any one know if the Angel Eye bulb in the 2013 335i will fit the 08-10 1er'?

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #38
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge135 View Post
Huuum I might have to try these, thanks for the info... I'm really leaning towards forking the cash and getting the high quality LED's. The brightness of the halo is what really appeals to me. The ones I have, as I said above, are 75W and they still look the same as the stock halo's; just not "dirty yellow".
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I get pinged once in a while that this is still getting votes.

So, it would appear that you have about a 50/50 chance of having an issue after you change out your angel eyes, but you are pretty certain to not have any issues if you just leave them alone.

I didn't expect it to be 50/50 having a problem after the install. Those covers are a bitch!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
hau_nguyen91
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB 17 M3

I installed Lux Angel Eyes and had problem with my headlights.

After all, I decide to tape the ballast in the bottom of the cover and never had issues then.

Putting the cover on was a pain at first, it use to take me 1 hour just to put 1 cover on. I figure out a way now that it only take me 2 minutes because I do it so much just to adjust my angel eyes.

The trick is to get the two bottom slots at a certain angle and push it down.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #41
scott_b
Private
Rep

I had the BMS kit with no bulb out/motor failure issues. After a couple weeks I did have one of the bulbs go out and that's when the real fun started. Burger/N54 sent a replacement bulb. I would then get intermittent flickering or total outages. Burger/BMS then sent a complete replacement set. As soon as I installed those, I started getting door ajar alarms and the passenger window would cycle up and down a few inches non-stop. I did a reset on the window which worked until I would turn the car off, but would happen again when the car was started again. The door ajar alarms never stopped. As soon as I replaced the factory bulbs, these issues disappeared. I've since installed the PIAA 4800k Precious White H8's and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #42
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Bought mine off eBay for $30. Installed and the ballast fell down in and burnt the motor, igniter and bulb. May not have had the cover back on the whole way either, also got condensation in the bad light. Put the stock back in and the dealer fixed it. Then I velcro'd them to the back housing. Right behind where the h8 bulb is so even if it does come lose it will only hit the h8 bulb spot which won't matter. I'll attach a pic of the ballasts. It looks like from reading this thread 80% of the problems came from incorrect installation. Not so much the product. The flickering would be product but motor failure is probably from the ballasts getting in the way. I think most options will work just need to be installed right and the backs back on right. Mine have been working fine and haven't come loose since the Velcro was installed back in august.
Attached Images

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
I realize this is an old post but has really gotten me thinking about going back in there and re-installing mine before I do have any problems. I purchased the EAS H8 LED Angel Eye Upgrade for $150.00 minus the $20.00 special they are running right now...great deal and they are very high quality. I came to the decision to go with EAS after reading post after post raving about the more defined ring as well as the good quality. I don't believe EAS calls them AngelIBright's anymore as I have seen on many past posts so I'm assuming these are an updated latest model. Now EAS does have the LUX V4's which I did want but decided against because of the mixed reviews and I really was interested in the perfectly defined ring that EAS's brand has. Very pleased with the quality but each light does have two ballasts. I kind of wadded them up with the wires and positioned them around the H8 bulb housing and they seemed to fit just enough to the sides of the housing to stay in place and there is just enough bulk with all of it wadded up to have the cover go on tightly so I feel like they aren't going to move anywhere but would rather be sure than to just let them possibly move going over a famous PA pothole. Either way, I wanted to give everyone another option with the EAS AE's because I am very pleased with them thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #44
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

My Alpine HID v3s have worked fine on my 2008 128i for 2.5 years. @Alex@Alpine was kind enough to replace a burnt bulb with brand new ones a month ago.

A few days ago, my AEs would turn on normally during unlocking and engine startup (xenon headlights always set to auto), but then turn off/on intermittently randomly when driving. I am now having a problem where the passenger and driver side AEs do not turn on at all anymore.

I popped the hood and can hear a "click" sound coming from the relay as opposed to a "bzzt" sound. The "bzzt" sound only occurred when I had a burnt out bulb.

My guess is that it might be voltage related where the car isn't producing enough juice to power the AEs. Maybe my battery is due for a replacement?

Anyone else have an idea of what's going on?
Appreciate 0