BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #45
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

If you're still accelerating, bogging the engine by shifting too soon will kill mileage, but lower engine speeds during steady state cruising will always give you better MPG.

My GTI's DSG would shift into 6th the instant I stopped accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #46
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
What you're describing is the same thing that my car does on long trips. It did before and after the SSTT installation, and has done it since I removed mine for an upcoming service visit. You are most likely seeing a fuel pump starting to fail. Mine only does it when I'm down to about half a tank of fuel, and filling it up solves the problem completely. I haven't been home long enough to get it to the dealer, but it's been going on for a while now.
i just wish it would either break or get off the pot. Not every once in a while where its untraceable. I'd rather just get it over with than think about it for months until it really starts acting up. The car drives 100% as is, even when the light is on. So nothing to worry about right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #47
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post

My GTI's DSG would shift into 6th the instant I stopped accelerating.
ya i remember that on my 2006 GTI DSG. I did like the snappy shifts though. I wonder if the BMW automatic is better, or slower shifting? I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #48
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
i just wish it would either break or get off the pot. Not every once in a while where its untraceable. I'd rather just get it over with than think about it for months until it really starts acting up. The car drives 100% as is, even when the light is on. So nothing to worry about right now.

Take it to the dealer. All they have to do is plug into it and read the codes and they'll be able to see that something is wrong.
Appreciate 0