BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

"bulb of exterior lighting system failed" - getting this intermittently

as the subject line says, i've been getting this intermittently. sometimes as often as every few minutes, and usually during longer drives. has anyone else had this problem?

i have an 09 135i and just had the rear tail lamps + 3rd brake light replaced all due to recalls but also installed lux angel eyes not too long ago as well.

the fact that the warning comes on intermittently and that the AE's and taillights still work makes me wonder if there is a loose connection somewhere. i'm hoping the lux AE's arent causing this as i'd rather not go through the disassembly process but would like to hear if others have experienced anything similar.

i read somewhere (cannot recall where) that the rear taillight harnesses can be notorious for having a loose connection but again, would like to get some other opinions before heading over to the dealership.

thanks all!

btw, I am referring to the warning indicator on the 2nd row of page 142 of our owner's manual.
      09-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's amazing how all of our cars have these problems. I see it at work everyday. There's an open campaign for all E82 tail lights. Service Bulletin says its self "Tail light malfunction indicator will appear imtermittently"

Take it to your local dealer, they'll replace both of your tail lights. Takes 5 min to do and you won't pay anything.

Hope this helps, best of luck

Jet Black | Coral Red | 6 MT | Comfort Access | 35% Tint | CF Grills | CF Mirrors | Bimmian CF Interior | CF Spoiler | M Door Sills | BMS DCI | Stett Charge Pipe | Berk Sport Muffler | Tow Plate
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

They replaced both my tail lights and i am still getting code pop up not all the time but every start up and then it goes away
Appreciate 0