BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Chrome BMW Roundel Gear Shift Knob: Likes/dislikes.

Anyone have one of these bad boys?
My major concern is heat retention. Here in Florida that is a real concern. I do like how it looks. Is it heavier than the stock knob? Manual shifts seem different? Does OEM shift knob just unscrew?
I guess one could use a small cover when not in the vehicle--ie a baby's sock? Thanks in advance for the feedback. Nick
      06-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I don't think that knob "fits" (in terms of style) in the 1er...

But, if you wish, change that sucker out. Chrome shift knobs can get pretty warm...

And in order to remove the stock knob, you just pull. Hard. Put it in 2nd, yank, and prepare to hit yourself in the face.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
I don't think that knob "fits" (in terms of style) in the 1er...

But, if you wish, change that sucker out. Chrome shift knobs can get pretty warm...

And in order to remove the stock knob, you just pull. Hard. Put it in 2nd, yank, and prepare to hit yourself in the face.
You may be right regarding style. Unfortunately, for me, I kinda grew up in the 50's and chrome stuff ruled. I guess it is a little nostalgia. My MCS probably had a little too much chrome--if there is such a thing. I purposely left out the shadow line trim because I like the looks of the chrome around the windows. Geez, I couldn't wait to get the "black chrome " stock exhaust off--well it took 2 weeks--and put the BMW perf exhaust on. Love the chrome tips.

Sounds like the BMW and MINI OEM shift knobs are removed the same way. I had a chrome knob and a #3 billiard ball (red one)(Whalen Shift knobs) made for the MINI. You are right--if not careful the knob can bite you.

Thanks for the info. Nick
      06-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
On my previous car, I had a sparco knob similar to the bmw chrome knob. It got very hot! I had to put a wrist band over the knob when parked and if I forgot, I would have to wear a glove on my right hand. It also held the heat much longer. A plastic or leather one is very hot at first, but cools down fairly quickly. (also maybe not a concern in Florida, but it gets cold in the winter.) I loved the look and feel of the big heavy sphere style shift knob though!