BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

Mods & Extended Warranty- 3rd Party

Anyone going with a warranty like this https://www.warrantydirect.com/Quote...=carbuyingtips and bringing their modded car to a private repair shop who would be a lot less caring about such modifications?? Im looking for the best route to mod the car when warranty expires basically, while still having coverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Conceptually this is pretty interesting. I'm wondering how to get a look at the fine print. Seems unlikely they would cover what they list if it were modded. How would they know how competent the installer wasm the quality of the parts etc. Sort of the 'too good to be true' feeling.
Als would they use OEM parts. What repair centers would the authorize.

I'm thinking it would be worth checking deeper.....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

ALWAYS be careful with 3rd party warranties....

If I remember right, 8 of the 10 biggest third party warranty companies from 5-10 years ago are no longer in existance. i.e. no warranty work, and you wasted your cash.

They also typically have a LOT of fine print that they can pull out any time they want to not do the fix (particularly when it's something large, i.e. engine etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

I agree with both you guys, I also did hear that this company is one of the most reliable ones out there. I also keep hearing that the Extended GE is grotesquely overpriced bc BMW profits major commissions.
Appreciate 0