BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Engine Oil Additive

Hi guys

Any of you heard of this product called Liqui-Moly , apparently it is made in Germany.

I am still using the recommended Castrol SLX 5W-30 LL01 oil.

I was planning to use the enigne oil flush prior to my next oil change, is it advisable to use my on fresh engine?

Also, they have the other engine oil additive to be added into the engine oil.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Hi guys

Any of you heard of this product called Liqui-Moly , apparently it is made in Germany.

I am still using the recommended Castrol SLX 5W-30 LL01 oil.

I was planning to use the enigne oil flush prior to my next oil change, is it advisable to use my on fresh engine?

Also, they have the other engine oil additive to be added into the engine oil.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks.

The link is below:
http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/oil-additives/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

engine flush? what a 1956 Dodge?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Please don't put anything except oil in the oil fill for your engine.

If you are running a BMW LL-01 (North America) or LL-04 (Just about everywhere else) oil, then you don't need to add anything to it.

If you change your oil at least as often as the car tells you, then you should not have anything that needs to be flushed out. If you have let your maintenance slip, then the best way to flush out the crud is to do several short oil change intervals.

I once bought a SUV from a guy that told me hardly ever changed the oil (fail #1). So me being young and stupid went out and flushed the engine. (fail #2). When I did that, it cleared away the crud that was keeping the oil in the engine. I now had a "clean" engine that literally had a small stream of oil that would shoot out near the oil pressure sensor. After I fixed that, the engine burned oil unless I ran 20w-50 in it. I was somewhat lucky though -- some times, the crud breaks off and then plugs up your oil pump pickup, then it's game over.

If you ever shake a bottle of the flushes, you'll see that it basically dilutes your oil. Doing this isn't good even for a short period of time if you ask me.
      08-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
Please don't put anything except oil in the oil fill for your engine.

If you are running a BMW LL-01 (North America) or LL-04 (Just about everywhere else) oil, then you don't need to add anything to it.

If you change your oil at least as often as the car tells you, then you should not have anything that needs to be flushed out. If you have let your maintenance slip, then the best way to flush out the crud is to do several short oil change intervals.

I once bought a SUV from a guy that told me hardly ever changed the oil (fail #1). So me being young and stupid went out and flushed the engine. (fail #2). When I did that, it cleared away the crud that was keeping the oil in the engine. I now had a "clean" engine that literally had a small stream of oil that would shoot out near the oil pressure sensor. After I fixed that, the engine burned oil unless I ran 20w-50 in it. I was somewhat lucky though -- some times, the crud breaks off and then plugs up your oil pump pickup, then it's game over.

If you ever shake a bottle of the flushes, you'll see that it basically dilutes your oil. Doing this isn't good even for a short period of time if you ask me.

Thanks for the advice.
As I only have my 135 for about four months now and it is clocking around 5500km on mileage. But the first serivce is due in 15000km.

I was thinking of doing my first service at 10000km and at intervals of 7500km after my service to keep my engine in good condition.

I believe BMW LL-01 will last long, what are your thoughts mate?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

No worries, I'm from the US, so I find it strange that the service interval is 15,000 km because it's 15,000 mi over here. Obviously 15km != 15mi. (Frankly speaking I wish BMW would pay for 15km change intervals over here). Maybe it has something to do with the LL-04 oil because I believe (I don't know this for sure, Dackel might though) that LL-04 is a slightly "relaxed" spec because the oil isn't beat up with all the sulpher that North America gets in the fuel.

There was a pretty active thread a while back on oil changes, if you search for it, you will get lots of different opinions, however, mine is to change the oil every 5k miles. My reasoning is that this engine is known to be hard on oil, and where I live, I drive in a hot dusty area with lots of traffic. I do the change at 5k & 10k, then BMW picks up the tab at 15k.

As far as LL01 being good oil, it is for here, but it might be more oil than you need. That's never a bad thing, but you might be able to get away cheaper with a LL04 oil. BMW LL01 spec is a thorn in my side because over here it means you can choose from two oils. I managed to find it on sale once and bought about two or three years worth of oil (seriously).

Off topic, but I love Holden vehicles. I wanted the Ute SST to come over here really bad. Bad thing is many Americans would instantly be remembered of the El Camino that has a bad rap. The closest thing we got was the SSR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_SSR
      08-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

As my engine is still fresh, I seldom drive the engine hard.
I will keep monitoring the condition of my engine oil.

But definitely, I will change my oil at every 7500km after my first serivce.
As BMW offer me yearly/15000km whichever comes first up to four years/60000km.

Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
No worries, I'm from the US, so I find it strange that the service interval is 15,000 km because it's 15,000 mi over here. Obviously 15km != 15mi. (Frankly speaking I wish BMW would pay for 15km change intervals over here). Maybe it has something to do with the LL-04 oil because I believe (I don't know this for sure, Dackel might though) that LL-04 is a slightly "relaxed" spec because the oil isn't beat up with all the sulpher that North America gets in the fuel.
Humm... lets see...

Perhaps the easiest way to explain it is that over here the customer must pay for EVERYTHING. Nothing is free in Germany. Perhaps that is why the dealer want to see their paying customers more frequently. ?

Most BMW dealers charge around 300 to 400 euros for an oil change service over here. And most people take their cars to the dealers over here... for that damm stamp in the service book. No stamp no warranty. Welcome to Germany.

I will ask my SA next week when I see him though.

PS: OP - I think if you look in your owners manual you will read that BMW does NOT reccomend using any oil additives.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

Talking

Yeah, it is stated in the manual book, just noticed it damn!

Lucky I did not put in any extra additive that will kill my N55 motor .

Same here, everythuing will be under warranty if properly maintained according to the service log book = your car bible .
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

No need for an oil additive. Can't believe the price for a change in Germany. Here I pay about $90 at the dealer. I change mine every 6 months or 7500 miles, and so not hit 7500 miles. I pay for one, BMW pays for one. Well worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
No need for an oil additive. Can't believe the price for a change in Germany. Here I pay about $90 at the dealer. I change mine every 6 months or 7500 miles, and so not hit 7500 miles. I pay for one, BMW pays for one. Well worth it for me.
I do the same. One at 7500 and one for free. And now that will last until 100,000 or July 15, 2014, as I just purchased the extended maintenance.
I'm loving it... no worries now.
Appreciate 0