BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
westie135
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6spd SGM

Shorted Pin Issues

Hey gents and ladies.

Here's my latest issue that I brought upon myself. Currently in the midst of retrofitting the Homelink mirror. Had some trouble with brittle plastic on the old connector that links the mirror to the car wiring, so I pulled it to replace it with the new one from the harness retrofit kit. Unfortunately, two of the pins shorted (I suspect one of them was the red/violet pin). Immediately lost all interior lights. Now I have the airbag and passenger seatbelt warning lights (which I suspect and hope are because of the battery protection circuit). Additionally, I'm not getting any alarm sounds or the indicator light. Does this sound like the protection circuit and a few popped fuses, or something more sinister?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
westie135
Rep

Update: I got the car home and, after much flapping about, got INPA working properly and gathered the fault codes.

Initially, there was a slew of codes throughout the car, which may or may not have been present before the short.

After resetting the codes, I had one in the MRS and one in the FRM (no surprise there, given the cabin lights cut out).

I then shut the car down, turned the ignition on, and pulled the codes again. An additional one popped up in the KLIMA. That's new to me.

Any ideas, based off of that? I've been up some twenty hours and simply can't process information well right now, so I'll return to it in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
westie135
Rep

Latest update after four hours of sleep:

No signs of life from the sunroof switch, so I'm thinking the overhead console either popped a fuse or got fried.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Hi,

At first I can calm you down. It is not as bad as it seems to be.

All these errors are related to the FZD (‘Funktionszentrum Dach’ - you called it 'overhead console').
E.g. the airbag fault is shown, because the airbag ECU checks the airbag warning light at the FZD. At the moment there isn't any feedback from the airbag warning light, so the error '93D2' is shown. You mentioned the error at the climate control. This also references to the FZD. The condensation sensor at the windshield can't communicate with the ‘Klima’ because the communication is transmitted through the FZD.
The error at the FRM means that the FRM can’t communicate with the light sensor, because every sensor at the windshield is passed through the FZD.

So there are two possibilities: First you have fried the FZD or you are a lucky one and only the fuses are blown. So first check the fuses or measure the voltage at the connector at the FZD. If they are ok you need to replace the FZD and get it coded afterwards.

Greetings from Germany

Daniel

P.S.: Next time disconnect the battery before. :P

Last edited by Duesentrieb; 03-14-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
westie135
Rep

Thanks for the response, Duesentrieb. Fortunately, I am one of the lucky ones. Fuse 62 was blown. A quick replacement (and much cursing about the location of the fusebox ), and everything came back to life. I checked the errors again last night, and they all cleared out.

Autodim works. The compass works (and seems to be behaving without any need to calibrate it). Now it's a matter of getting Homelink working with a brand new Liftmaster opener.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
mmmm_beer
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by westie135 View Post
Autodim works. The compass works (and seems to be behaving without any need to calibrate it). Now it's a matter of getting Homelink working with a brand new Liftmaster opener.
Good luck with that, the only way I could get the Liftmaster to work with my 2013 128i, was to get the HomeLink Bridge kit.
Appreciate 0