BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #45
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

^

I'm sure he had more the likes of a Civic or a Fit in mind...
      01-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #46
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
^

I'm sure he had more the likes of a Civic or a Fit in mind...
He must have. I heart my AP2.
      01-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #47
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
Well of course the dang car was on a stand so it may have looked smaller than normal, and I couldn't sit in it either :-(, I will probably still get it because where else am i gonna find the legendary drive?!

Used e92 328i? Bigger and at 128i's price.
      01-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #48
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well of course the dang car was on a stand so it may have looked smaller than normal, and I couldn't sit in it either :-(, I will probably still get it because where else am i gonna find the legendary drive?!
Assessing a car on a car show pedastal is like trying to taste a TV chef's cooking by licking the TV screen. You have to sit in it and drive it. It's probably not as small as you think.
      01-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #49
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Randy, is that you?

Quote:
I went to the Houston Auto Show, and realized that it's a freakin' clown car!! It's way too small for me! That car is so tiny and is very overpriced for what you are getting (128i). I decided it just wasn't worth it and continued looking around the show. The 128i just doesn't look very sporty also, I'm just not feelin' it.
Randy, is that you?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #50
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Yea, HEY!!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #51
HKF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No Comment

128er:
You never answered ASV's questions (post #33). So what are your answers?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #52
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Okay all I am saying is that the 128i is ~30K for a 230HP rear drive coupe with NO options in it! That bugs me a little, also it is too small FOR ME just because I said it is too small for me doesn't make it too small for you! As far as the irrational posts...:bs:
That's all fine, 128er, but you've come to this earth shaking conclusion on the basis of seeing once at a car show on a pedastal. And in terms of ~$30K with no options; you're absolutely right. It needs very few options because pretty much everything is standard.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but they would be much more interesting to the rest of us if you would substantiate them, instead of just panning the car...
      01-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #53
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
That's all fine, 128er, but you've come to this earth shaking conclusion on the basis of seeing once at a car show on a pedastal. And in terms of ~$30K with no options; you're absolutely right. It needs very few options because pretty much everything is standard.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but they would be much more interesting to the rest of us if you would substantiate them, instead of just panning the car...
but you missed the best part! he's going to get it anyway!

all joking aside, i can understand how certain aspects of a car's design one might mitigate in their own head and when one sees it in the metal they are face to face with reality and not their interpretation of the car. however, we've seen enough pictures by now that everyone really should be prepared.
      01-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #54
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

.... and if anything it is WAY WAY BETTER in the metal than the pictures
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #55
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKevinF View Post
128er:
You never answered ASV's questions (post #33). So what are your answers?
Okay, It looks tiny thats all I'm saying I'm not comparing just saying it looks tiny!! And it wouldn't hurt if BMW might put some power seats, standard xenons, just things that cars that you would pay 30K for would usually have standard!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #56
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Okay, It looks tiny thats all I'm saying I'm not comparing just saying it looks tiny!! And it wouldn't hurt if BMW might put some power seats, standard xenons, just things that cars that you would pay 30K for would usually have standard!
well now a-days 30K wont get you much
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #57
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

$30K would get me a Fiat Punto, be happy instead.

To make it a little easier for you I can tell you I've paid $45K for my 4-cyl 120i... And my country is concidered cheap if you compare to other european countries.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #58
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry 128er. It's just like meeting a girl in person for the first time after chatting on line and trading pictures for a year. She'll always seem a little shorter and chunkier in person than you imagined. But you'll love her anyways....

[this post is not intended to depict actual events, and bares no resemblance (other than involving girls) to the pre-marital dating patterns of the author :biggrin:]

I'm actually encouraged by your impression, because, for me, the smaller the better. My fear has been that it would too closely resemble my 3 Series.
      01-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #59
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Clown Car? Is this your first BMW?

Quote:
Deals or not, In the end you get what you pay for. You've been on this site for awhile now so either you haven't been paying attention or you have been in deep denial. Right from the get-go it was obvious this car IS SMALL. How did we know this? Well, how about the photo comparisons between the 1 and the e46? How about the factory diagrams that provided evidence that this car is closest in size to an e30. You have seen an e30 before, have you not? If not, how about the comparisons to the Scion TC? There are tons of them running around! What the heck did you expect to see at the auto show?
As for price, we've known about the price and standard/optional equipment for some time now. BMW's are not cheap. However, if you have your driving priorities straight you will see USA BMW's are a good value. The "good stuff" in BMW's is not about bells and whistles. It's all about the dynamics. How it's built. How it handles. How it goes and stops. How connected it makes the driver feel doing all of these things - year-after-year-after-year. That's why some of us cannot part with our cars. They feel good way longer than the typical auto. That's why I never laugh when I call them the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Now, if you're into the marque for status then I can understand your complaints. If that is the case all I can say is try Infiniti. If you understand what BMW is actually trying to say about the 1-series by comparing it to the 2002 (which was not cheap in it's day, either), then either learn to love the 1-series or buy the bloated but capable 3-series. But, don't show your ignorance by calling the 1-series a "clown car". Only a clown would do that. And he would mean it in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #60
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Quote:

[this post is not intended to depict actual events, and bares no resemblance (other than involving girls) to the pre-marital dating patterns of the author :biggrin:]
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #61
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocal73 View Post
Deals or not, In the end you get what you pay for. You've been on this site for awhile now so either you haven't been paying attention or you have been in deep denial. Right from the get-go it was obvious this car IS SMALL. How did we know this? Well, how about the photo comparisons between the 1 and the e46? How about the factory diagrams that provided evidence that this car is closest in size to an e30. You have seen an e30 before, have you not? If not, how about the comparisons to the Scion TC? There are tons of them running around! What the heck did you expect to see at the auto show?
As for price, we've known about the price and standard/optional equipment for some time now. BMW's are not cheap. However, if you have your driving priorities straight you will see USA BMW's are a good value. The "good stuff" in BMW's is not about bells and whistles. It's all about the dynamics. How it's built. How it handles. How it goes and stops. How connected it makes the driver feel doing all of these things - year-after-year-after-year. That's why some of us cannot part with our cars. They feel good way longer than the typical auto. That's why I never laugh when I call them the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Now, if you're into the marque for status then I can understand your complaints. If that is the case all I can say is try Infiniti. If you understand what BMW is actually trying to say about the 1-series by comparing it to the 2002 (which was not cheap in it's day, either), then either learn to love the 1-series or buy the bloated but capable 3-series. But, don't show your ignorance by calling the 1-series a "clown car". Only a clown would do that. And he would mean it in a good way.
very well said :respekt:
      01-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #62
HKF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Okay, It looks tiny thats all I'm saying I'm not comparing just saying it looks tiny!!
Wow! That's quite a run-on sentence!

OK. You can get off the stage, 128er. We're done with you!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #63
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Wow! That's quite a run-on sentence!

OK. You can get off the stage, 128er. We're done with you!
Wow, who checks grammar on an online forum?
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #64
HKF
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh, I think you know the answer: at least one person does.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #65
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Oh, I think you know the answer: at least one person does.

Haha touché! :biggrin:
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0