BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Aftermarket Car Audio (Melbourne)

Guys, I have searched through the threads posted here previously, but with them being dated I don't really want to bring one up from the grave -_-

Besides the glorious exhaust note, I am having trouble swallowing the sound that is coming out of my baby and think its time for some aftermarket audio gear. I have been pointed to Phatt Audio Concepts by various people and I got the following response:

Quote:
Hi xxx,

Unfortunately, the BMW 1 Series is not the easiest car to do an upgrade on... Actually, that’s not true, it isn’t that difficult, but it is hard to do it in the budget that you set. The problem with the 1 series, and most BMW’s, is that the output from the radio to the factory amplifier is data, and the amplifier does all the filtering for each speaker. Because of this, we need to use a line out convertor that can sum up all the filtered channels into 2 full range channels. This adds an extra expense that you usually don’t have to allow for.

Also, be aware that 1 Series BMW’s are inherently electrically noisy, and even though we will do everything in our power and knowledge to avoid this, there may be some alternator style whine through the system. But using the components below, we should be able to minimize this risk.

I have come up with a system that will definitely be an upgrade on the original audio system.

For front splits, I recommend the Focal 100KRS 4” splits, which retail for $699. For the floor subs, I recommend the Earthquake SWS8 8” subs, which RRP for $299ea, an Alpine MRPF600 4 channel amplifier, which is $649 RRP, and a Peripheral 8 channel Line out convertor which RRPs for $449. Add $200 for cabling, this brings the gear to a total RRP of $2511.

I can do the gear for $2000, and install it all for $800, giving a total of $2800.

I know this is more that what you budgeted for, but this is the cheapest I can offer a solution for you.

Please let me know what you think, and call/email if you have any other questions.
To be honest, my original budget was around $1.5k max. I do know that PAC is quite well known for their work and if it means a better install, I am willing to pay a bit more, $2.8k seem fairly steep after a quick google of the prices of the components? I am not very knowledgeable with these kind of things and don't really want to get ripped off. Having said that, budgets are always a bit flexible .

Any fellow Melbournites around who can point me to some other trusted audio installers in town for comparison?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Maybe try Frankston Car Audio, have heard good things about them too.

That system seems to be about the extent that anyone will put in a 1 series. The Focals are always recommended because they are one of the better slim-line speakers out there that stores stock. I haven't heard them but there are a few that use them.

Unless you can find a slim 4" speaker, then maybe Focals are the best bet. I have heard great things about the Morel 4" too, but not many stockists in Australia. If you can find them, I would tend to go with the Morel.

As for the quote, the $2000 for the gear is a decent deal. The $800 to install however is a bit rich... If you break it down, it should go about like this;

Speakers - $120
Amp - $100
Line level converter - $100
Subs - $120

That's a total of $440 for installation. He may be quoting you the $200 in cabling with that, which brings it to $640.

I would maybe offer him $2700 if you wanted to stretch the budget.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Bobbo
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

G'Day

I have a similar set up in my car, was installed by Phatt. Got the same speakers, just different processor and amp also have a sub.

If you want to hear what it sounds like pm me. It may make your decision easier hearing how much better it sounds.

Also check this out for cheap SWS - 8's
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-NEW-Earthqu...item439f73f83b
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

I contemplated the same sort of setup.

The quality difference isnt justified in the price imho.
Appreciate 0