BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Piston Heads Blog: The Best M3? It's The 1 M!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=27027
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

6309 of us say; "Duh", many more say: "Doh"

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Nice little read and good to see similar thoughts I had before purchasing the car put down in an article. I have alot of respect for the CSL, more or less been a dream car since it was released. The 1M however has also been a dream 'realistic' car since it was released and without sounding biased I think it's one of the best M's for a while. It look's like a regular 1 series on steroids and I will never get tired of pulling alongside non wide arched 1 series at the traffic lights, especially that m135i's haha. Love mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by RKR; 01-29-2013 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Having owned an E46 M3 and an E90 M3 before, I can say the article hits the nail on the head. 100 %!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
1M sellers and resellers say: "Ye$$$ !".

A non-specified number of former 6309 owners say "Ouch !" (after impact) and "Damn !" (after resale).

We might say: "The vast majority of 1M owers does not want to part with the 1M because of what it is and is capable of. Hence, the 1M holds its value better than many other cars. And as the 1M holds well its value and is treasured by its owners because of what it is and is capable of, the vast majority does not want to part with it. And so we're back to Square One with a fringe benefit: the vast majority does not want to part with the 1M because of what it is and is capable of AND because the 1M holds its value better than many other cars."

Call it the self-fulfilling success prophecy of an 'instant classic'.

Every man has his price, but as regards the 1M - rebus sic stantibus - I'm playing for keeps.
      01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

If i could afford it, i would buy another 1. Don't know why but the thought of having two, my AW and a VO just thrills me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

+1!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I agree, but I am biased. The 1M checks all the boxes for me. Small, light, 6mt, LSD, fast, good sound. Most M3 owners love to point out that is doesn't have a "real M engine," whatever the hell that means. I could care less. Every time I drive my car aggressively I am reminded of how fantastic it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Interesting debate on the article at the link. I think best M car was the E46 M3 CSL and now I believe 1M is right at the top with the CSL but I refuse to directly compare these two cars and put a hierarchy between them. None of them are perfect or flawless, the CSL doesn't have the torque and dd qualities of the 1M and I really wanted it to have a manual gear box which it never got plus don't forget the stupid price when new (or used as a matter of fact). On the other hand, 1M can't compete with a CSL on the engine sound or throttle response disciplines and there could be a little more effort from BMW and its M division to make the 1M a bit more unique, like they started good but did not finish the job at everything they could have done: from the leather they chose to its charge pipe, trunk lip, tires or exhaust. I believe they have very similar performance at the end but they reach there through different paths.

Also there is nothing really wrong with E9X M3s, but I feel it lacks in the character department to 1M or CSL since it is the product which tries to catch the trends and aims to please everyone with its endless options and gadgets and showy pieces (like a CF roof, a DCT, EDC, M Drive settings menu, 2 door, 4 door, cabriolet etc. etc.), its engine is a delight, a masterpiece but that's not made from zero too, it is derived from the V10 of the old M5, so there has always been a sense of "this is really just a smaller M5" with the E9X. For me the biggest problem was/is the fact that it is a bit BIG and feels fat for my taste.

Just fixing the exhaust sound of the 1M and a few minor mods to suit it to your liking results with a "10" car for a decent price which also seems to be a natural member of sports cars hall of fame due to its qualities, fun nature and exclusivity. Fabulous car and we are lucky to have one since I still can't totally believe that BMW actually built it and sold one to me Proof? After one and a half year of ownership there has never been a time that I just parked it and didn't turn back and give it a last look before leaving.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
After one and a half year of ownership there has never been a time that I just parked it and didn't turn back and give it a last look before leaving.

I do the same thing!!!

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0