BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2023, 05:00 PM   #1
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

LCI Eyebrow not lighting

Hi all,

First, I tried searching and mostly found information about retrofits, which isn't quite answering my question:

I have a 2012 with adaptive xenon headlights. The car did not have DRL's active (wasn't an option in the menus) so I coded in the checkbox and now that works. BUT, only the halos light up. I thought the LCI adaptive xenons were supposed to have an eyebrow LED, there's definitely one in my headlight.

Is it possible that they have just burnt out in my car? Or do I still need to install a jumper inside the headlight just like those who did a retrofit?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 05:56 PM   #2
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

Is code DRL_TFL_MIT_SML_3R in the frm set to activ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingers View Post
Will check.

Is there a good place for the meaning of the advanced coding options? When I had my Golf R there were pretty good resources. Bimmercode is great, but I think a lot of the things I'm looking to tweak will be in the advanced menu.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
it was set to not active. I switched it, and it turned on the low-beams with the DRL's. Switched back.

Just seems odd that the eyebrows don't turn on. Perhaps they burnt out long ago? I just purchased the car, so I have no clue if these were ever active, but given that the DRL's weren't an option in the menu, I was thinking maybe this car had a bunch of stuff turned off because of whatever trim/package it was.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Turn the lights all the way on and see if the eyebrows turn on?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
Turn the lights all the way on and see if the eyebrows turn on?
They do not. Haven't seen them on yet. Going to try checking voltage today with a multimeter, maybe they are just fried.

However, given that the DRL's were all coded off, I'm thinking that one of the previous owners just turned things off and there's some coding line that I'm just missing.

At this point, I'm sort of okay with them not working - I replaced the H8's with a better bulb and am pretty happy with the look, just don't like having a non-functioning LED strip in the headlight, so I want to chase this down, even if I end up leaving them off. Stubborn engineer over here...

Edit:

I did notice that when I messed with other coding settings (turning off the tail lights with DRL's), that I needed to power cycle the car in order for that to take effect. Even after the app said that the module was reset, the tail lights were still on with DRL's. After power-cycling the car, the tails were off. Maybe this is a similar situation? I'll try again with the DRL_TFL_MIT_SML_3R coding line, unless anyone knows another coding line that these could be tied to.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo965.00
      06-30-2023, 08:23 PM   #7
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

If the lights are stock with the car then it's unusual for it to be coded out. If they were retrofitted then the eyebrow lights might not have been wired up?

For coding this post lists some options to play with https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907233
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #8
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the lights are stock with the car then it's unusual for it to be coded out. If they were retrofitted then the eyebrow lights might not have been wired up?

For coding this post lists some options to play with https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907233
Sweet, that's a great list.

The headlights came stock according to the vin decoders out there. But also in the vin decoders, it says the car should have had the DRL checkbox in the car menu, but it didn't, so I'm thinking someone must have coded some things in the past, turning off the DRL's entirely, including the light bar. I just kind of want to see what it looks like at this point and make my own call, ya know...
Appreciate 0