E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer Setups

05-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Dealer Setups

Hey, I just got off the phone with my dealer and they say Friday at 9:00am is the big day for pick up. Anyway, they asked me several questions about setting up the car. Here is a majority of the questions:

-Do you want daytime running lights?
-Do you want pathway lights (lights stay on after car is off for approx. 30 Secs.)?
-Do you want all doors to lock after vehicle reaches 5 m.p.h.?
-Do you want the remote setup to open the driver's door with one button press, and all other doors with two button presses?

I said yes to all the questions, but with a little more thought, I'm not really so sure about the daytime running lights now. I got the xenons, and I really don't want to be burning them during the day. My question is, are all these options set once by the dealer and then they're final, or can they be adjusted later through iDrive, or by some other means using the owner's manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I said yes to all the questions, but with a little more thought, I'm not really so sure about the daytime running lights now. I got the xenons, and I really don't want to be burning them during the day.

DRLs do not burn the Xenons. Your dealer will more than likely charge you to change it at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks very much for the post. Yeah, if anyone can post how to change these settings without having to go through the dealer (on both iDrive and non-iDrive cars), please share.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
DRLs do not burn the Xenons. Your dealer will more than likely charge you to change it at a later date.
At first, I thought the DRLs were the angel eyes in cars that had the xenon setups. But my dealer just told me the DRLs are the low beam headlights, which makes me think they must be the xenons.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Thanks very much for the post. Yeah, if anyone can post how to change these settings without having to go through the dealer (on both iDrive and non-iDrive cars), please share.

I do not believe that is possible. It is set via the BMW Service Center computer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

The I-drive menu is fairly simple to use. Push down on the mouse and select Vehicle Settings....then you can adjust a bunch of things with a push/pull/click/twist of the mouse. It's really easy. In fact you should try it yourself just to get used to how the I-drive works. I can do all ofthese things while driving....and I've only killed one pedestrian this year.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
At first, I thought the DRLs were the angel eyes in cars that had the xenon setups. But my dealer just told me the DRLs are the low beam headlights, which makes me think they must be the xenons.
The Xenons are Bi-Xenons...low and high beam. The headlight housing closest to the kidneys will be the one the DRLs light up. One bulb in this housing is strictly for DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
There are two bulbs in each housing right? Aren't both HID bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
There are two bulbs in each housing right? Aren't both HID bulbs?
Yes, two bulbs in each DRL housing and two in each Xenon housing. The Xenons have a reflector that moves the light upward when the high beams are turned on. Same as the E46 2002-2005.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Oh, I guess I'm confused now, probably because I wasn't clear about what housing I was specifying in my previous post. I'm not sure what the difference is between a Xenon Housing and a DRL housing.

Basically this is my understanding (only talking about e90's with Xenon Adaptive Headlights): for each headlight housing, there are two bulbs. As you can see from the attached pictures. I thought Bi-Xenon meant that both of the bulbs were HID lights. I'm not sure which bulb is which, but I assumed one is low beam and one is high beam. My best guess is the larger one (the bulb on the outer edge) is the low beam and the one closest to the kidney grille is the high beam.

But it sounds like SCA is saying there are 4 bulbs in each headlight housing, b/c 2 bulbs are in each of the circular/ocular things? And then one of the bulbs in each of the circular housings is a HID bulb, and the other is a regular bulb used for DRL purposes? Is this the correct interpretation of what SCA is saying?

I also thought what Sharp1183 was saying about how how the DRL's were just the halos being turned on. If anyone can clarify, please do.

Also, if anyone can post the bulb types, that would be great. (I think the e46 was H7,D2R, or D2S for the Low Beam, H7 for the high beam, and 9006 for the fog lamps).

And since we're at it, if anyone has seen a HID conversion kit for the e90 fog lamps, please share!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Actually Bi-xenons are just one bulb, on the outer light housing. It simply uses a reflector that retracts to allow beams to shine higher when you activate the high beam. I have yet to seen a bi-xenon with dual bulbs or filaments, I think they do exist though. The DRL is probably running off the center two housings. I'm not sure if that contains one bulb or two bulbs, or perhaps its a single bulb with the dual filament. Either way, that should be the DRL, and the two angel eyes are just parking lights. What I haven't seen when I test drove was the fogs (or AKA driving lights). When do they turn on?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
What I haven't seen when I test drove was the fogs (or AKA driving lights). When do they turn on?
There's supposed to be a switch right next to the headlamp selector switch for fog lights. Fog lights also turn off automtically when the high beam is used.

I just checked the pdf owner's manual again from this site, and it looks like the pathway lights and the central door locks can be adjusted right from the iDrive screen. I think the remote has to be programmed by the dealer. But as far as the DRL, the manual does mention it, but it doen't make a lot of sense. It says basically you should select headlamp option 1--automatic headlights--for the DRL, which turn on headlights when it gets darker. But as far as an actual setting for the DRL, I haven't seen one yet. I hope they can be adjusted by the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #13
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I placed my order, the sales associate gave me a form with these same questions (preferences for door locks, DRL's, etc).

In my opinion, the angel eye rings are nice but wouldn't be bright enough to truly replace the daytime running lights. After dealing with drivers in northern NJ and NYC, I want as much visibility as possible.

I chose to have the DRL activated.

Michael

p.s. Regarding the notice from the BMW website about the dealer programmable options not being available, I was told that it is simply a piece of software that the dealers should be receiving soon. If anyone is affected, they can always go back to the dealer and have it corrected.
Appreciate 0